Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Horrible Pain in Back and Scapula after C7-T1

smpdsniperssmpdsniper Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Can someone help me. I just had ACDF C7-T1 two weeks ago. I have had horrible pain in my right arm, right shoulder blade, and the middle of spine near my neck. I have had two other previous surgeries, ACDF C6-7 in July 07 and Full 360 L4-L5, L5-S1 in October 2007. I have posted before, I was struck on my police motorcycle and landed on my head.

My surgeon said when he was working on my two weeks ago, the C4-5 was pretty shitty but not bad enough to take out.

Does anyone know if this is my problem. He put me on steroids this week but they have not helped. He wants to see me on Tue and thinks I may need another MRI? Any thoughts or advice. It really is painful, probably about 60 percent of my pain prior to this most recent surgery.

I am taking 3 percocets every 4-6 hours and it is really not doing much. I cannot sleep without pain I am constantly waking up and cannot get comfortable.

• I'm fused from C5 to T1 and my surgeon said that the C7 to T1 is one of the hardest cervical fusions to deal with. Is it possible that your pain is coming from muscle spasms? The spasms often make that pain in the scapular region really intense.

I've also just had surgery for TOS (thoracic outlet syndrome) and I can tell you that now, post op, a lot of that scapular pain that I thought was coming from the cervical problems is doing better. Everything is connected and finding the source of pain can be difficult.

Two weeks is so fresh out of surgery; give yourself some time to heal. Talk to your surgeon about a better form of pain control or something to help with the spasms. I found that heat on the back of my neck helped ease the spasms a little. Some find that icing the neck helps. Give a call to the nurse at the surgeon's office and see what they recommend.

Hang in there. This isn't something that we heal from overnight. Let me know if there is anything I can answer for you....I actually had the surgery twice in 5 months LOL!

• thanks for the response. What is the TOS. My last thoracic MRI showed that a couple of those discs are bulging also. The burning and stabbing right now is constant. I have slept and sat on ice for the past 6 months straight. I cant look all the way to the right because of the pain in my shoulder. Im wondering if they hit something during this last surgery. My Doc said the C7-T1 was very difficult also. He seems concerned that something more than post op pain is going on. I hate surgeries and dont want another one. I am praying. I havent been pain free since my accident almost 1 1/2 years ago. Really sucks, but I am retired and now am busy doing Private Investigation which is good. I just want my daughters age 6 and 4 to have their original Dad back, the one who was a rock and never down.