Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medication advice needed

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in Pain Medications
I have had neuropathy and pain in both legs since 2003 - had spine surgery May 2008 that utterly failed and left me with greatly increased pain, now including low back and sciatic - so now 24/7 leg pain both legs, back, thighs...
I can't get any more ESI's due to developing osteoporosis exactly where I used to get the injections (before the surgery).
I tried Lyrica for over a year but major short-term memory problems and quit after leaving gas burners on when I left the house!
Then tried Amitriptyline which didn't do much for the pain and also aggravated my dry eye condition to the point that I had conjunctivitis for months - had to quit.

So - I'm 59, mom is 98 so whatever I take, it will have to be something I may be able to take for up to 40 years! I'm extremely depressed and wake up every morning (assuming I ever got to sleep) wanting to just stay in bed all day.

Any advice? Thanks to all, Rosa
advertisement

Comments

• I hope you don't mind me offering my support and understanding instead of advice. I am sorry that you are hurting and having issues with finding a pain medication or combo that works for you. I'm not sure what to offer for advice so I am just going to say that I understand how you feel and am here to offer support and lend an ear or cyber shoulder to cry on.

I too have low back, legs, back of thighs pain etc. I am 31 and my dad is 55 and my mom is 49 and both parents have major issues with lower back. My dad is in a wheel chair and I don't know too much about my bio-mom other than she takes pain patches and her discs are blown out too (don't know which ones though). My point is that I am 31 dealing with these issues and I fear following in my parents' footsteps. I've yet to find a combo that helps aleviate my pain and to be at a level that's atleast bareable and manageable. I try not to think about being in the shape my parents' are and focus on myself. I have to remind myself that science and technology keeps evolving and advancing all the time, my parents' never really did anything about their conditions other than chiro treatment. I've agressivley pursued and am still pursuing a diagnosis or fix to my issues and that's something they didn't do.

Sorry for making this so long. My point is that you I understand what you are going through and how you feel. It is difficult for others who do not suffer chronic pain to understand how you feel. Feel free to PM me with any questions, comments or concerns or just to rant/vent about something on your mind.
  • What you wrote means as much or more as any advice. No one in my life has chronic pain, and although they all give lots of unsolicited advice, I sense they always feel that if I would just try yoga, or do this or that that THEY think will work, I'd be fine. Truth is I HAVE tried yoga, I did go to a special clinic for acupuncture, massage and PT 3 times a week for half a year, I have done every form of PT, exercise, etc known to medicine and NONE of them worked and almost all made things worse. I often wish pain would make you turn green - maybe then people would "see" what it's like.

Anyway - I literally had tears in my eyes reading your email because you are so young to be dealing with all this. I often think "at least I had 50 good years" before my problems began. I can't imagine what it must be like for you. All I can say is keep trying, and keep trying to stay positive. You sound as if you have a very strong character - so you can do it and you WILL make it - and I totally agree - my hope is that medicine will develop some wonderful pain meds in the next few years, if only because of the volume of people in my generation who are getting older and need them.

Thanks for listening and I may take you up on a PM every now and then to rant and rave! Rosa
  • I am glad to hear that my words of support helped you in some way. You can PM me anytime. I've had back pain all my life so I never really knew any different. It just wasn't every day. Mostly it would just hurt bad for about 1-2 weeks per year until 2002.

Spine Health is a wonderful community and everyone hear is great.

I too have tried all conservative treatments and exercises. My brother tells me that I just need to be stronger and exercise more and lose weight cuz bad genetics has caused him to have low back issues too. He's in the army and is a lot tougher than I am. He just ignores the pain and can't take pain meds cuz he has no tolerance and they knock him out. Anyway, like I said...if others don't suffer chronic pain themselves they will never fully understand all the challenges you endure on a daily, even every minute basis.

Vent and rant away. I don't mind and to be completely honest and a bit selfish, it takes my mind off my pain lol.
  • sorry to hear about your pain ..i have tried lyrica with catastrophic results .i now take oxycodone and i use an acticare device .{its like a TENS} only much better.you may also find none medical things like a recliner /electrical adjustable bed/and heat pads a benefit to you.there are several creams that you can get to rub in your back {antiinflammatory } that may help you.i use all the items that i have mentioned .to manage my pain.it helps .but i must admit it's the oxycodone that really helps without it i would be screaming"!
    STRAKER
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    takes a while to find the right medication to address the problem.
    When you are dealing with nerve pain, two medications come to my mind:

Lyrica Which is very effective, I was on it for almost 6 months. It did a very good job in controlling my nerve pain. But with the good came the bad. When my dosage was increase to about 150mg or more a day, I started to have some negative side effects. I was always tired, I could fall alseep in the middle of a conversation. I also started to know a good amount of leg/foot/toe swelling.. Almost to the point, my fee were doubled in size. In a few months I gain about 20 extra pounds.

NeurontinI started at 300mg a day and now I am take 2400mg a day (which is not a high or low dose). I have had great results. No tiredness, no swelling, perhaps a bit of short term memory loss, but ok. And almost zero weight gain.

Either one of these medications can be taken over a long haul, it really depends on you react to each of those
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks for the info. I tried Neurontin years ago but felt it made me spacey, but may revisit it. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time.

I wonder if there is a site that notes new developments in pain meds? I guess if something new that really WORKS comes out, it will be all over this forum...

Thanks again! Rosa
  • i hope you find the right combination of meds soon from your dr to help control your pain...take care...m
advertisement