Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

help! Advice needed

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi there I've already had one lot of surgery 2 yrs ago for a prolapsed disc, it was successful but there was another one in the background which has been causing me problems for some time now. Its gradually got worse and the pain in my leg now is terrible, my foot is numb and I cant wiggle my toes any more! I cant get comfy, cant stand, sit etc I am having a problems passing water, its taking a while put it that way. My question is - should i go to the hospital today or leave it? Thanks - Fi

• Any time there is bladder or bowel involvement, it is time to seek medical care promptly. Please contact your physician ASAP.
  • I am by no means a medical expert, but I am studying to be a mediacl assistant. In our anatomy and physiology class my instructor who is a medical doctor, stated firmly that when bowell or bladder issues occur the patient needs IMMEDIATE help, and in many cases require emergency surgery. It is not to be taken lightly, good luck to you! Let us know how you are doing!
  • sounds like you should see a doctor .if you are passing water slowly that may just be because you are in pain and the disc ..is it a lumber disc? say L5 OR S1 is being compromised i know because at the moment i am the same way .my doctor knows about it though ..we are waiting for the results on my MRI scan to find out why i am in so much pain.i have had previous surgery on L4/L5 AND S1 so we think that it is scar tissue but it can have the same as a disc out and cause the slow peeing problem..you must seek medical help though if you carnt go to the toilet as that we be a medical emergency.#
  • Yes I would definitely talk to my Dr about these issues. I too have similar problems emptying my bladder and bowels. I have spoken to my Dr about this and they are monitoring the situation. He says this is caused in part due to my L4-5 Spinal Stenosis and also the medication I am on. Hope this helps.
    Nana Shan
  • Hi there just thought I'd update you all. I went into hospital accident and emergency, due to the fact there was no neuro dept they kinda didnt know what to do with me but they did do another MRI scan and it was confirmed, that this time round its a L5 S1 and its a big one thats gone right onto the nerve, I'm due to be operated on 2/4 I cant wait for the pain to ease, I can hardly walk at the moment has anyone got any advice re exercises to ease the pain in the leg/back/bum?

thanks - Fi
  • I'm so glad you went to the hospital and were able to have a MRI. Sorry about what they found, but once you have the surgery hopefully you will be feeling better.

Have you tried icing your lower back? Anything you can do to keep the inflammation down may help a little bit. Did they give you anything for the pain or recommend you take something like Advil or another NSAID?

April will be here before you know it.
  • thanks Gwennie, Yep I'm just so relieved I've got a date for the op now I can think ahead, I'm so determined not to let it hinder me as much as I can anyway. At the moment I'm on a combination of tramadol, solpodol and oramorph its that bad, I'm exhausted constantly and its not good as I have 3 children the youngest being 2!! Never mind...wont be long! How are you doing? If you dont mind me asking was your back problem a prolapse?