Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help. Why is this?

melsukmmelsuk Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My husband is 33 and on workers comp 2 months after a slip on ice at work. According to MRI results 1 herniated and 2 bulging discs. Per neurosurgeons orders he did 4 weeks of physical therapy that seemed to aggravate the pain, rather than help. My mom has done 7 spinal surgeries, the last 2 a fusion and a revision and is still in chronic pain. Yesterday the comp surgeon just said, ok we do surgery, get a milogram next week, then surgery from there. This 1) seems a rush to judgement 2) milograms had my mom in pain for weeks with terrible migranes, and are nerve related 3) this comp surgeon does not do micro or laproscopic surgery, and I do not want him to undergo extra pain. He is an bad patient, and the thought of even the milogram has him freaking out, let alone surgery. Advice PLEASE.

• 1. Do not ever do any spine surgery with a comp surgeon if you can avoid it. You are talking about a SPINE and not a kneecap. When it comes to heart, brain or spine--find a way to get a top-notch doctor. And second opinions.
    2. Myelograms (that is how it is spelled) are not always a problem if done correctly and the patient follows the post-procedure rules.
    Please take your time and get the best doc you can. Not worth risk otherwise.
  • :H

I would say a second opinion is in order.I always say avoid spinal surgery completely if at all possible.PT will aggravate a herniated disc,and I'm not sure about the bulging disc personally-but from what I've read they are fairly common.Are the bulging discs pressing on nerves?

Well-even if I had all of your information I could not give the advice that I would like to because I'm not a Dr.,and that is against the rules here at S~H..but if it were ME-I wouldn't get the surgery just because one Dr says,'ok,we do surgery.' IMO he sounds entirely too eager to use the knife,and my back or neck is NOT that easy..lol.

At the top of this page if you put your mouse over 'CONDITIONS' and then click on herniated discs you can read all about them and the treatment-also you will see bulging discs while you are reading and you can click on there to read about those.I've learned a LOT from reading material that Drs just don't always tell you.Actually,in my experiences with my neck problems,most of what I've learned was from reading-NOT from any of my Drs...and I do like my Drs... ;))
  • There should be a discogram done.
    This is a test to see where the pain is coming from.
    (although the test is not 100%)
    Then, make a more informed decision.

Stay away from knife-happy surgeons. There are techniques available in today's modern medicine minimizing surgical invasiveness.
    Do not proceed if you feel rushed or pressured.
    The freaking out is normal, but can be allayed with knowledge. It does take some effort, due dilligence, but well worth it as the patient will have to live with the results.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Thank you for your help. My husband is petrified my the thought of even the myelogram, as it involves the area that is the main source of his current pain.He has had MRIs and CTs, so we are unclear as to why a test like this is even needed, and the ordering surgeon has no good answer to the question. Is this a usual way to proceed. Thanks for any help, we are truly in the dark here.