Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

getting on a plane after ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I am about to do this surgery (ACDF corpectomy C4, c5 plus fusion and fixation) - I live in Europe but would like to do the surgery in the States (13 hours flight). I will stay with my brother, but need to plan the staying/recovery time before getting on a plane back home to Europe. The neurosugeon told me that after 2-3 weeks it will be possible. From your experiences, it it realistic? how does the post-op feel like? I need to buy a rould trip ticket but I dont know for how long I will need to stay...
Thanks for your help (I am so scared doing this surgery away from home...)
Ruti
advertisement

Comments

• Talk to your dr, and schedule something a week later than what he tells you as the recovery time needed. If you are feeling better sooner, try calling the airline and try to go standby on a earlier flight. Remember that the change in pressure will effect you. We all become human barometers after any spinal surgery.
  • going to india to have my lumbar spinal surgery done. the reason for this was I was having to wait so long for the operation & I was running out of paitence & was sick of the constant pain. I found a hospital & a surgeon I was happy with - but in the end I couldn't raise the money circa £25,000, I would have had to remortgage my house & this scared me given the condition I was in - it certainly wasn't sitting in my back pocket!!LOL. I was advised that I would have to spend up to a week in hospital & then stay local to the hospital for another 3 weeks at least before they recommended that I flew home to the UK as it would have been a 12-16 hour flight from Mumbai. In the end I had to wait another 6 months (18 month wait in total) & had it done on the NHS in the UK - to have it done privately in the UK would ahve cost circa £45,000 !!! I hope this helps you in some way regards db
  • thanks, my insurance pays for the surgery - so this is not a problem. They will not pay for flights and stay, but I stay with family. The real issue is what will be my condition after the cervical corpectomy... The doctor said after 2 weeks I can be on a plane! it might be true medically from his point of view, but reading other people experiences, it seems a bit optimistic.
advertisement