Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is it normal for the incision to sting?

Nicole74NNicole74 Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm one week and one day post op today acdf C5-C6. I'm still very sore and achy. When I take off my bandage and expose the incision to the air it really stings. Is this pretty much normal? Tomorrow the bandage comes off for good and I really don't want to tackle a new pain right now.

• yes. And it can be tender for weeks and weeks, maybe months. And the nerves that were cut will "regenerate" and you may get strange stinging, burning sensations, almost like a "bee sting." This will subside over time, but can last a long time. Typical of any major cut.
    Also: when you have healed more, try massaging the area. It helps "wake up" and heal those damaged nerves.
    good luck,
  • My fusion was PLIF and it did sting for awhile as well, I hope your pain passes soon, I had itching as well but I never touched it! I find that not thinking about it helps but who can do that for very long??

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • It definitely is the nerves being angy from being cut, and then waking up. When you see your doc, ask them if it's ok to use vitamin E oil on it. My primary doc said it was ok, and it kept some of that "air sting" out of my incision, and it also softened the skin and incision so it didn't feel so tight. It also healed well. Be sure to ask your doc first though, everyone has their own "tricks" or what they would like you to use or not use. Also, using the oil before the incision is ready, may promote bacteria and infection. You DON'T want that!!! Take Care!