Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c3-c7 fusion w/front plate

AbbyAAbby Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi I had both anterior and posterior on c3-c7 in one surgery that took 7 hours I also had a front plate put on to stabalize everything. I am wondering if there is life after all this, I had it done a month ago. Just now starting to feel good. I almost feel like a bobble head. I just want to know if you ever feel normal again.

• I want to know what to expect for my future.
  • Abby,
    Welcome to spine health. That was a major surgery and it takes time to heal. As far as feeling normal, not sure if one will ever feel that way after surgery. We all recover at different rates and have different levels of ROM. I have had to give up some things I enjoyed doing and am slowly finding new things to do. Let your body tell you what it can and can't do, there are others who have returned to most of there previous lifestyle without problem. Good luck and stay positive.

• double post dang lap top
  • I had major cervical surgery, but not as major as yours. I think that, because you've had both anterior and posterior, you will take longer to heal. I'm 5 months out and still don't feel quite normal, although I'm improving steadily. Nobody will be able to tell you what your future holds because everyone heals differently after surgery. The unknown is scary, but just give yourself time and be sure to follow the docs orders completely. That will give you the best chance at a full recovery.

Take care and keep us posted.
  • I had the same surgery performed in 2004, I hurt myself in 2001. I made a pretty good recovery, however, my neck felt like it was on a mop handle. I was eventually back in the gym lifting and doing cardio. I had long commutes 2 hrs one way to work. It caused my back and ribs to ache and crunch. I recently was packing and moving furniture to relocate when I felt super stiff. I tried to do some good stretching and believe I reinjured/agrevated the fusion hardware. Long story short. You'll recover, it takes time. Follow the doctor's orders (mine said no PT)though I hear PT is good for this. And, above all learning from my mistake take it easy and protect yourself. Do plenty of walking. I'm hoping I don't need another surgery, but maybe it will help. Good luck!
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    What to expect?

I don't know exactly what all you had done,
    But I can say that I will not feel "normal" again.

Expect? I expect that I have a degenerative disease and I expect to be able to "attempt" to stay one step ahead of it. I expect more of the same. I have been fighting this battle with my neck for over 5 years now, with new problems arising.

Sorry that I'm not all that very reassuring but what my picture shows is after a failed 2 level anterior only. I now have stenosis above all the hardware that will at some time need to be addressed.

Others have had very sucsessful fusion that don't hang out here anymore ... they have gone on with their lives pain and problem free .... unfortunately that is not me.

Good rapid full fusion for you!!

Warmest Regards,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!