Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS and leg locking up

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Management
I was just wondering if anyone else with a stim. has experienced this? On higher settings, I will be walking and all of a sudden, my leg will lock up or my knee will give out on me. It's on with certain programs and also on higher settings.

• That happens when you create too much of a "bottle neck" in your spinal column and instead of just blocking out the pain signals, the basic functional messages can't get through either.

I just decrease the amplitude when that happens. If the lower amplitude doesn't mask the pain well enough, I increase the rate instead and it usually solves the problem.

Since you're recently post-op, you might want to work with your programmer on your next visit and have him/her try to set up a program that you can use specifically at the higher amplitudes with less of a muscular effect.
  • Thanks for your response, Bionic. That's quite interesting. I emailed my Medtronic Rep. about it to see what she has to say...
  • Spinal cord stimulation is based on the gate control theory, which was first published back in 1965.

In a nutshell, the basic theory behind SCS says:

"...by electrically stimulating large fibers of the spinal cord, painful small fiber information would be shut down at that spinal segment and all other information downstream from that segment would be shut down as well."

At the lower amplitude, the gate has more open space for signals to flow though; as the amplitude increases, the SCS takes up more and more space through the "gate" and creates that "bottle neck."

It's kind of like chattering on a CB radio, so that two people can't understand each other. If two people are communicating and just one person is chattering, the 2 people can usually put together enough to understand the message. If 20 people get on the band and start chattering, those 2 people don't stand a chance of communicating with each other.