Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

herniated disk L5 S1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in Spinal Injections
hi, I'm new to this. my last MRI was last month (4th one) i knew i had a herniated disk and the pain was always on the left side however now it shows that there are problems on the right side. this has been going on for years. Ive been on disability because of this for 2 years. the pain NEVER goes away. I'm getting another epidural tomorrow (my second) the first did nothing 3 years ago. I'm at a loss. i was first diagnosed in 1990 but it put me out of work 3 years ago. i wonder if I'm a good candidate for surgery?? this sucks
advertisement

Comments

• What did the MRI and doc say showed on the MRI report? Can you give us more info on your condition?
  • We really need to know more about your specific condition to give opinions... but I have a 4mm herniation at L5-S1 and am not a candidate for surgery- nor would I want to have surgery. I'm in a lot of pain, but everything I've heard about disc surgery does not sound appealing and I would much rather exhaust every avenue prior to getting surgery.
  • I have a herniated disc and more problems the opposite side. It seems not alot of Surgeons will touch this crossover in nerves. Good luck with the injections. I'm feeling better and have had 4. The 5th one is in April. The injections help with leg sciatica as well as lyrica and ms contin and flexeril. Good luck and hope the ESIs help you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • THANKS SO MUCH, I HAD THE INJECTION TODAY, ABOUT 9 HOURS AGO, SO FAR SO GOOD, HOWEVER ABOUT AN HOUR AGO I STARTED TO GET THAT FAMILIAR SHOOTING PAIN DOWN MY BUTT AND LEG. I WILL GET MUCH MORE INFORMATION FROM THE DOCTOR WHEN I SEE HIM NEXT WEEK. ITS SO HARD TALKING TO THOSE GUYS, THEY ARE ALWAYS IN A HURRY BUT I WILL HAVE HIM XEROX THE DIAGNOSES SO I CAN SUBMIT IT HERE. ALSO, I HAD A DOCTOR IN MAINE WHO GAVE ME MEDS, 30MG MORPHINE SULFATE 2X A DAY AND 20MG OXICODONE 2X A DAY HOWEVER SINCE I'VE BEEN IN CALIFORNIA GETTING MEDS HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE. ANY SUGGESTIONS??
  • (|: (|: Hi Joey! Your back problem sounds exactly like mine. I had a discectomy about 18 years ago. It was great for about 10 years, so I guess you could say it was a success; however, I now am in more pain than I ever was in the same spot and more! I have been really fighting the pain seriously for the last 3 or 4 years, and it hasn't been fun. I've gained 95 pounds because I can't do anything, and I've basically become a recluse. My family is very caring and helpful, but it breaks my heart to be on the outside looking in. I can't do the things I want to do. Anyway, enough of me.
    First of all, if I were you, I'd do EVERYTHING I can do for my back BEFORE I opted for surgery. I think surgery is really a last resort. I ended up having mine because I had laid on the floor for 8 months because I couldn't get comfortable any other way. Like I said before, the surgery did help for those 10 years, but came back with a vengence after that. Sorry to break the bad news.
    As for medication, you MUST find a good pain management doctor. I guess I got lucky with mine. I live in California (Southern), and he has seen me for about 5 years. He has ALWAYS prescribed medications for me without a problem. If one didn't work, he'd try another one. Right now I have a morphine pump inside me. It helps a little, but still not pain free. I wouldn't advise anyone to get the pump. It's not that great. The pump was just one more option I decided to try without another surgery.
    I hope you can find a good pain doctor. That is key in our management of the pain we are in 24/7.
  • (|: (|: Hi Joey! Your back problem sounds exactly like mine. I had a discectomy about 18 years ago. It was great for about 10 years, so I guess you could say it was a success; however, I now am in more pain than I ever was in the same spot and more! I have been really fighting the pain seriously for the last 3 or 4 years, and it hasn't been fun. I've gained 95 pounds because I can't do anything, and I've basically become a recluse. My family is very caring and helpful, but it breaks my heart to be on the outside looking in. I can't do the things I want to do. Anyway, enough of me.
    First of all, if I were you, I'd do EVERYTHING I can do for my back BEFORE I opted for surgery. I think surgery is really a last resort. I ended up having mine because I had laid on the floor for 8 months because I couldn't get comfortable any other way. Like I said before, the surgery did help for those 10 years, but came back with a vengence after that. Sorry to break the bad news.
    As for medication, you MUST find a good pain management doctor. I guess I got lucky with mine. I live in California (Southern), and he has seen me for about 5 years. He has ALWAYS prescribed medications for me without a problem. If one didn't work, he'd try another one. Right now I have a morphine pump inside me. It helps a little, but still not pain free. I wouldn't advise anyone to get the pump. It's not that great. The pump was just one more option I decided to try without another surgery.
    I hope you can find a good pain doctor. That is key in our management of the pain we are in 24/7.
  • Im 19 and have a herniated disc since february. I have been going to physical therapy for about 5 weeks now and nothing! I have to wait till may 15th when I see my doctor again, but I want to get some information about what to do. Surgery is an option, but everyone is saying "I'm too you young". Any suggetions before my doc talks me into surgery?? accupuncture? epideral?
  • Hi. As another person 'too young to be having back problems' (only 21 when I had my first spasm) I heartily recommend going to a chiropractor. After spending the last two years going to various physical therapists and even having a cortison injection (which didn't help at all) I am now getting significant relief from a chiropractor. After getting an xray my chiropractor was able to explain to me the various misalignments in my spine that were causing the pressure in my L5 area and leading to my spasms.

However, this is based on my experience only as it appears a lot of others on this site disagree with chiro care for disc problems.
  • Thanks for replying! I first started with a chiro, but it wasn't working. He even misdiagnosed me and said I have scoliosis, but during my visits he did the electric stim and cracked my back/neck. What did/does your chiropractor do with you? Perhaps I should go to another one and try it out again.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,040
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    I have been one of the many who have stated that seeing
    a chiropractor after you have disc problems can be harmful.
    The 'standard' Chiropractor 'manipulations' are things that you probably want to avoid.
    Chiropractors by nature, are not fully skilled in dealing with Spinal Discs and Nerve conditions.
    I am not sayint that all chiropractors fit into this category. But I strong recommend , if that is the path you are going to take, investigate as to how this chiropractor works with spinal condtions. I know some chiropractors and they agree that the 'normal' action could be harmful.
    You want to make sure that this person is properly trained to handle Spine and Spinal conditions involving discs and the spinal nerve root
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • From my experience chiro is not good for herniated discs & can actually cause more problems. Also 2 Orthopedic Surgeons told me to stay away from PT (which my primary Dr referred me to) until they gave the ok. I ended up having surgery & am so thankful I did. I was scared to death of it before making the decision, but after researching everything & not getting any other relief I knew that the Drs were right & that it was my only option.

Other non-invasive things to try are an inversion table, massage, etc...but I think the big key is just to rest & walk when you can. Avoid sitting like the plague...or the pig flu LOL.

• Now, with the surgery - what procedure did you have? Did they remove it entirely? I find out everything next week and I'm very anxious.
  • You can see my diagnosis in my signature...I ended up having a microdiscectomy on my L4/L5 since that was the most damaged & causing my sciatica symptoms. You can read about my surgery & how I'm doing now here.

HTH! :D
  • I have a herinated disc, and also nerve problem that have been hurting constantly for 9 months . Mainly hip, buttocks, back .my big to would hurt some now it's been so long the inside of my foot from toe to ankle constao pain, sometimes groins . No pain medicine even touch it and I mean terrible pain all the time like my buttocks is broke . I had one epidural shot , didn't help. Been off work 5 months going see orthopedic surgery next week. In the meanwhile 2 more days no insurance, no position at work and I got hurt at work I don't understand that part. But it's no way I can do any work at the moment no matter how I try . Now my inside of my right side of my foot has start paining and like cramps in my right leg. How long do they usually make you suffer before they will remove disc and anyway you can get approved for disability cause it seem like recovery is going to slow
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.