Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PM Doc finally changed my meds-any experiences, advice, comments, questions, etc. welcome!***Tanya w

EMTgoneNUTZEEMTgoneNUTZ Posts: 321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Medications
Hey guys! :H First just to let you know that I updated my post about my ER visit tonight so I won't get into all of that here-just know that I did go and they did not "correct" the problem...yet. :S

Anyhoo...Yesterday (Thurs) was my 3 month ESI appt...typical-sedation as always-tho I think the IV blew cause it didn't take effect like usual, I felt & remember everything-OUCH! But that's not what this post is about either so I'll try to stay on topic...it's been a LONG day/night so I apologize!

As most of you know, for the past 2 years or so I've been on MS Contin 30mg x2 p/day, Oxycodone 10/325mg x4 p/day for BT, Lyrica 75mg x2 p/day as samples are available since my ins doesn't cover it and I'm allergic to Neurontin/Gabapentin, Flexeril 10mg x6 p/day PRN for the spasms, 600mg Advil 2-4 x p/day, recently started (as in 2 months ago) Prozac which is now at 40 mg p/day, Xanax 1mg up to 4 p/day PRN (bad anxiety lately-had been off the xanax for a year but my life sux worse lately as ya'll also know!) plus a whole plethora of other meds for other medical stuff. #:S

I FINALLY convinced PM Doc to address the fact that my pain meds are no longer effective enough, and that no I don't just want to keep increasing, get a "buzz" or any of that nonsense, I just want to function as a human being again! :) So, here's what he did:

* Stopped the MS Contin-replaced with Methadone (you may recall I've been VERY hesitant about this drug but he says it's no more dangerous than what I've been taking so I decided to give it a fair shot). My starting dose is 10mg 4 x p/day. I've only taken 2 doses now and with the ER deal I can't honestly tell you how it is or isn't working yet but will keep you posted. I would like to hear from others who take Methadone, or have in the past, and what dosages worked-from the posts I've searched/read on the drug here it seems he's started me on a pretty good sized dose, so I'm very hopeful. My goal is to take less pills...

* Next-also stopped the Oxycodone/Percocet & replaced with Norco 5/325mg x 4 p/day for BT (big downgrade to me from the Perc's, but if the Meth works and I can take less BT, then I've met my goal, right?)

* Lyrica-stopped for now, just to see, since he says that Methadone often helps w/ nerve pain too. If the nerve pain picks back up again he says I can resume the 75mg x 2 p/day as I was, but again, I have to depend on sample availability, which they often aren't, so it's always been a med that I sometimes have and sometimes don't.

* Flexeril-still have over half a bottle and 1 refill left. They don't work that well for the spasms-I much preferred the Zanaflex I used to be on, but he says to finish what I have (including the refill) and if with the new meds if I'm still having lots of spasms he'll put me back on Zanaflex or maybe something else.

* Advil-he wants me to start cutting that down (as do I!). I used to take 800mg at a time, 6-8 x p/day...I decreased that to 600mg 4 x p/day about 2 months ago, and last month decreased to 600mg 2-3 x p/day (morning and bedtime always, sometimes afternoon/evening depending on the day).

I think that's it :? ....sorry for yet another long post...I know I ramble a lot-but I wanted to be clear so as to try not to confuse anyone. (as I usually am! 8} )

So now, if ANYONE has ANYTHING to let me know on any of these (especially the Methadone!), please do! I will add that we have also discussed the Fentanyl patches and I'm 100% on board with the idea...however, my insurance...isn't! So, PM Doc says that the Methadone SHOULD be the last hoop we have to jump thru to get the patches approved, provided the meth doesn't work for me, and I'll have to be on the meth for at least 4 months and have had to have had increases/changes in dosages in order for Medicaid to even consider the patches.

My ultimate (long term) goal is to finally relent and have the 3-4 level fusion as I've been dealing with all of this starting in 2002, unable to work since 2005, and have tried SOOOO many things that IF I win my SSD appeal next month and get MediCARE, there are NS's here that will then do the surgery (none take MediCAID for NS here...at all). I want to be off as many pills as possible for everything, not just my pain, but if I have to have meds I'd like to either have the intrathecal pump, or the patches with maybe a BT med now and then. (this is with the idea of a SUCCESSFUL surgery and new career, paycheck I can count on, my 2nd degree and all those other dreams so many of us have 8> )

My short term goal is to just reduce the number of pills I'm swallowing every day, get healthier (cholesterol, weight, ulcers/heartburn-you know..."non-chronic pain" health stuff), get the SSD (monthly and 3+ yrs of back pay! :W ) so I can have some income and give my sons a little better life-and own MY own home 8> (even if it is a little trailer, I don't care, as long as it's MINE and structurally sound!).

I also have BIG news on the "short term goal" part <:P , and this is where I'll end this long ass post.....plans are in the works (and this is all IF I do finally win the SSD appeal next month, which atty CLAIMS it's "in the bag" now with recent documents from PM Doc)....my parents are working on one set of "strings", and I am working on the other set :? ...if all goes as planned, I have spent my last winter in this cold, icky, wretched State of Michigan & will be moving to Florida sometime this summer :D =D> (probably in the area of Seminole-which is a stones throw from the Gulf, as well as my 'rents!)!!!!! I'll explain more on this later because there is some real 'gut check' stuff involved, but I think not only will the move help my physical pain, but I truly believe it will HUGELY help my psychological issues as well....and then some. Again, I'll 'splain more later...it's late, I'm tired, and I think my head is finally to a point 8/10 where I can hopefully sleep for an hour I) and 15 mins b4 I have to get the boys up and off to school! :O

Lastly-I just want you all to know how much I love and appreciate you all! >:D< You're always there for me when I need you and I hope as these things straighten out in my life (on ALL fronts, of course!) I can get back to always being here for all of you as well too :X (as opposed to lately only being around "when I can") :<

It's after 4:30 now...I'm off! (|: Hope you all have a absofreakinglutely spectabulous day today, with low/no pain, lots of sunshine & smiles, and of course, >:D< 's!!