Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New doctor is a jerk

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had my 6 month appointment yesterday even though it is 7 months. Well my new doctor is a jerk. My original surgeon has moved on to a better job and a new state. My big concern was if my bone has fused and if my cage is ok. I was rear-ended 3 weeks ago. I still have a lot of pain in my left shoulder. Not as bad as before surgery, but not good. My arm gets tingly and the pain is sometimes so bad it is hard to sleep. Well first thing the new doc said was he doesn't like titanium cages and my does not look as bad as some he has seen, and the bone has not fused yet. I had a c5/c6 in Aug. I have a titanium cage and cadaver bone. I also wore the bone stimulator for 6 weeks. Well the New doctor said I probably just have whiplash and if I still hurt next month I can come back in. Also he said it could be more stain on the top and below my ACDF that is giving me pain. Then he said there might be a crack in the bone but he cant see it yet, because the new bone is so small. So if next month if I am still in pain with my shoulder I have to go through the MRI, shots and PT. So here I sit again same problems, different day. So does anyone else have the cage? Also how long does it take for the bone to fuse when they use cadaver bone? What happens if it never fuses. No answer from my new doctor. I was doing so good until I was hit.

• Hey thost3,

Is this the first time you met this doctor? How long ago did he take over in the practice? Did he say anything about how much fusion you have going on? Why did they have you stop wearing the bone stimulator and ideas? I used a bone stimulator for 6 months. When i returned for the 6 month follow-up my surgeon seen something he didn't like and sent me for a CT. To make a long story short I had psyuedoarthrosis(sp) and had to go back to surgery. Have you ever done pt since your surgery? If they believe that you have whip lash maybe some pt would help. In my experience most surgeons don't like to go back into what someone else has done. Are your symptoms the same as prior to the surgery or different? it is a shame that he treated you like this and you really got no answers at all. As far as length of time of fusing I really couldn't give a answer as there are so many different variables. One thing i know they look at previous films and looking to see if it has stopped. If it never fuses and it is symptomatic they can do a revision surgery, which is quit more painful and involved. I was told the gold standard for that surgery is posterior and your hip bone, which i had done. BMP while not FDA approved for cervical spines is still being used in some cases. But lots hope it is just whiplash and this to will pass and hopefully soon. Whiplash can take months to recover from. Here is a link to the radiculopathy video that may help.

• I had cadaver bone for my ACDF, and it fused fine. And I'm a smoker, which retards fusion I am told. So I don't think cadaver vs hip bone would be your problem. Sounds like your new doc doesn't have a very good bedside manner. Is ther someone else you can see? Good luck on fusion, sorry you are still in pain.