Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

feeling down-5 weeks post op c5/6 fusion discectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am feeling like I'm never going to be mobile again. My surgeon still is having me wear my collar.

I am so tired of feeling so restricted. I want to do chores...clean my house, run errands...be independant.

I am so much more limited than before the surgery. I sometimes wonder if I should have just dealt with the pain before. At least the set back before were for days...not WEEKS at a time.

My boys are 3 and 9 and I feel like I am failing them by not playing with them or being fun at all.

Will I ever feel "normal" again?

• Have you seen the doctor for your post-op yet? Tell him how you feel. Some people need anti-depressants for a time while they are recovering. You have reasons to be depressed and many of us go through it. I almost thought I would rather live with the pain, and for weeks I wondered if I did the right thing and it made me depressed-but you will be feel better once you are healed from the surgery. It takes time and some people take longer then others-especially if they try to do too much, too soon.

Hang in there and please talk to the surgeon or your general doctor about your feelings. Good luck!
  • I am 12 weeks post op 2 level posterior lumbar fusion with discetomy. I am limited on bending twisting lifting and am still on some pretty heavy duty meds and am looking at 3-9 months before I am fused. I had pain for 2 1/2 years and that was becasue they couldnt find out what was wrong. The surgery was extremely painful and the last 12 weeks of no sitting for longer than 1/2 hour, no cleaning or anything has also been hard. But...think of how nice it will be to be pain free. that is what keeps me going. We know fusions are a long thing when we go into them. In your case, I dont know how long your recovery is. I just know it will get better, and you will be happy to be normal again. Think of how fun it will be to not hurt as they grow up and you want to go to games and stuff. Hang in there., It will be better soon, and in the end, I am sure you will be happy you made the sacrifce now and have it behind you,
  • And I felt just like you did at the same time in my recovery. Yes it will get better. Every day I add something else I didn't do the day before. After surgery you may have lots of feelings of depression or hopelessness. I did. But I didn't give into it and determined that this will end. For me I developed another issue at another level but after 3 months my surgical pain was gone and had it not been for this other nerve issue I developed I fully believe that I would be back to 100%. Don't worry about the boys. Kids just get it. They won't even remember most of these few months years from now. And don't feel guilty about what you can do but rather be proud of your daily accomplishments. For me at 5 weeks getting the dishes in the dishwasher was an accomplishment. And if you need help please reach out to those around you and ask. You'd be surprised how many people would help if we'd just ask.
  • Thank you all for your replies. My surgeon is definately not the kind that would care about any frustration on my part.

I'm just so ready to get back to my regularly scheduled life!
  • I am brand new to the site, and am recovering from surgery. I am a little over 2 weeks post op and am having a lot of the same feelings. I, too, have 2 little boys (ages 10 & 5). They are off on Spring Break this week & we can't do anything of course because of my surgery. I know I will be much better off in the long run, but it is tough right now. I led such an active life before this that it is so hard for me to slow down enough to heal. Mentally, I don't handle being cooped up well. Good luck to you.
  • Hello,

I know exactly how you feel. I had a one level fusion on December 9th, 2008. At 5 weeks post op I was a horrible patient. I wanted to clean house the way I thought it should be, I wanted to play with my kids and I wanted to drive~!!

I also questioned whether I should have had the surgery or not but I can tell you I am SO HAPPY that I did. I still cannot do everthing the way that I would like to but my quality of life is already so much better! Hang in there, it will get better!

God bless your days!