Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle Spasms

Nicole74NNicole74 Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
About how long after surgery before the muscle spasms stop or slow down? I'm 10 days post op c5-c6 acdf. The zanaflex works, but not nearly well enough. I have a heating pad on my shoulders though out the day and night.
advertisement

Comments

• Most of the time people report that the muscle spasms stopped after about 4 weeks for them. I still have them 5 months after surgery. But I'm not the norm. I tried every muscle relaxer known to God and man and nothing seemed to work. I did PT with electrical stimulation and heat therapy and stretching. I got very little out of it. Finally I found out about Myofascial Release Therapy. It was the thing that finally broke my horrible cycle of knots in my shoulders and the spasms that came with them. You might talk to your doctor about whether or not this or deep tissue massage might be an option for you.
  • Can take months. As my doc says: Everyone is different. Took me about five weeks (lumbar). I still have other muscle issues, though.
  • I had surgery at the C7 root and it's taking months-in fact 3 months later I still take valium nightly. If I don't, I wake up the next AM with spasms in my left arm-the bicept twitch and the shoulder is hard and stiff. I slept on a healting pad for 2 months! I was given Gaba,,,somehting for nerve pain but I did not take it. Look at my posts to see the name. It may have helped, but I thought the side effects weren't too scary to try. Of course if my spasms and nerve pain was making me cry-I would have taken it :)

I do not have to take pain meds unless I do something stupid like carry in grocery bags with that arm or accidently sleep om that side. Or stay too long on the computer :) Most mornings the spasms go away in an hour of less. It's almost like me sleeping is bad for my neck. I am thinking of getting a great mattress as soon as I can afford one.

Good luck and give it more time before you worry yourself over it too much. It's been 3 months for me and I'm not worried about it yet. And my surgeon said it could take a many months-therefore all the valium he prescribed for me.
  • I hope I'm one of the lucky ones and they are gone in the next couple of weeks. They are fierce! I only have a months worth of zanaflex left from my pm doc. The surgeon does not give out anything for muscle spasms.
  • Nicole74,
    I have to say that I'm not the normal case, I am still dealing with muscle spasms 1 year from my last surgery. Sleeping is usually a problem for me and if I over do things my shoulder and neck muscles let me have it. I have had much work done to my c-spine, I hope the next surgery clears things up for me. Being 10 days post op is not a long time at all, things take time to get better, just when you think you feel better we try something we shouldn't and we take a few steps backward. Good luck and I hope things get better for you.

mark
advertisement