Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain and the economy

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Depression and Coping
I had posted a similar question around last November and I was wondering how everyone is dealing with this current worsened recession. How hard is it to pay for your office visits, medicines, and procedures/surgeries? How do you balance your medical needs with bills and other expenses?

I know things are harder now, and I was shocked to see a tent city spring up somewhere in California. As far as me and my family we're getting by with my husband's long hours and my small SSDI money each month. I've even read stories where both spouses are down at the same time with chronic back pain and my heart goes out to anyone in that situation.

Feel free to vent and get your worries off your chest. I think your stories of survival will be uplifting to all, and please know that we're all going through the same struggles and frustrations together

• son helps me pay the rent, pays for the internet, cable and phone service that allows me to connect with you all...without his help myself and his three younger sibs would have been on the streets along time ago.

we scrimp and get by on public assistance and food stamps. which for all of you who want think that its easy, try to balance rent of 650$ out of a 620$ payment, and feed 4 people for a month for 500 dollars.

add to that the daily never ending pain, depression, and utter hopelessness of the situation you now find your self in....

....but you are MOM! you are loved, needed, cherished, and cared for, so you cling to a glimmer of hope for tomorrow...
  • and I'm sorry that things are so rough for you and your family. You are so right about being a mom-it takes a lot of love, courage, braveness, compassion, and above all sacrifice. No matter what situation or physical state we're in, we are always needed. I understand where you're coming from too because we hit rock bottom and lost it all a few years back, and fought to start over again. It's no fun when you have to apply for this and that, but when you have kids, you do what you have to. Are you getting social security? I heard we're getting $250 in April and I think they'll go in order of our last four digits of SS numbers. It's not a lot but it is very helpful.

I'm sorry you have to deal with chronic pain on top of everything else; I totally relate and know how horrible it is. All we can hope for is better days and some type of quality of life. Take care of yourself and I'm always around if you need someone to talk to.
  • things are really difficult right now. :''( our savings is being quickly used up and my husband is retired with no pension or SS ~X( . i get my SSDI each month thank goodness but that doesn't even pay half the rent. ~X( i have to pay cash for my 2 doctor's appointments of almost 200 hundred dollars a month. :''( i have to pay cash of 60 dollars for my meds each month.. i wonder where the tent city is? :D Jenny :)
  • so sorry you guys are struggling. I wish things could be different.

I thank God every day for my husband's wonderful job, health insurance and other benefits. A true blessing in our lives.

We picked up and moved last June to move to a more urban area and downsize our life. We deliberately decreased all expenses because of the "you never know" aspect of today's economy. It has been tough, considering our boys are 16 and 20, but also has been wonderful for us, once we got settled.

Take care,

• We never upgraded our lives as we watched all our kids friends parents do? It was kind of interesting to watch.
    Every time one of them got a different job or promotion they bought a bigger house, new suvs every year etc, Now we sit at Lacrosse games and listen to about half of them grumble about their bills? OK, and we wonder, who held the gun to their head and made them buy all that STUFF!

My wife and I paid our little ranch house we bought new in 1990 off in 1998! PAID OFF! We then would randomly say, oh maybe we should get something nicer and we'd look for while and say, NAH!

So we pretty much are not worried about the economy on a personal scale. We are worried about retirement coming up and all our accounts being at half what they used to be.
    We are worried about our sons getting jobs when they get out of college.
    We are sad to see the state of affairs many people are in.

Personally we are pretty safe, so far ....
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    always need to be taken care of regardless of the economy.

Health needs, being it spinal, lung, heart, cancer, etc.

As difficult as the times can be, those conditions can not be ignored. Failure to do this can result in much more damage and much more financial strains down the road.

For some people that becomes more and more critical just to make ends meet.

I am far from any financial planner, so any sense I could add to how to come up with the money to ensure those conditions are treated would be pure speculation
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My hubby and I are doing ok, as he has a great job (although, no health insurance option) and I'm on unemployment (got laid off Feb. 5). We have a nice retirement account and can tap into that if need be, but we're watching every dollar right now. The one thing that I have suffered with most is no health insurance, thus no ACDF follow-up PT. At least I got the surgery done, though. We've applied for catastrophic insurance through AARP as it is most affordable, so at least we're covered if something major comes up.

The biggest problem is that there are just not very many jobs out there unless you live in North Dakota, so it's frustrating. It'll be interesting to see what happens down the road.

• lived in washington state my whole life. Hubby worked his way up to $70,000 a year. poof that job disappeard.

ready for a change moved to michigan that job paid $58,000 a year job. ended up having to file bankruptcy when the utilities skyrocketed so we were payin $800.00 a month in the winter for heat and lights. borrowed food money from the church and foodbanks. poof that job gone. tried to end my life on that day.

Ended up loosing our home to forclosure and had to give the van back to the bank.

No jobs to be found in the UP of michigan so had to relocate again. Down in southern Michigan now. Making $50,000 a year and just anounced we are going to have to take a 11% pay cut. we are going to have to redo the finances again.

I am thankful for HIM to have a job at all. Praise God. I wish I could be more help. I am disabled and dont qualify for disability. things can be worse. I am trying to remember this.

positives, I still have my family and my hubby got this job just in time for me to have this $71,000 surgery, We still have food on the table and my hubby and kids are healthy.

Sending Hugs and prayers to those who need it tonight.
  • I totally understand how you feel in regards to having a husband who is the breadwinner while you are disabled. I'm sorry your income was slashed and that your family has had to relocate several times. It is a big relief he found a job because the market is so atrocious. All we can do is be grateful for the simple things like having a roof over our heads, food on the table, a vehicle, and steady income. I find myself feeling guilty because I'm not out there making a living but I am relieved to have disability money coming in to help out. Every dollar counts. And you're absolutely right- family is what matters the most.
  • my wife kath works full time as a health visitor {i dont think that you have them in the USA} she is responsible for the aftercare of the new born and see mums in there homes after the child is born ..you may know this job by another name ..anyway .we also have a 19 year old son and he is not working so that's 3 adults from only one salary ..its hard work because its cost 25 pound a month for TENS electrodes and 105 pounds a year for prescriptions .and that's before we even eat or turn on a light ! then food is really expensive in the UK so is diesel .so yes we are struggling a lot this year ..we will have to watch every penny!!
  • Yes, it's hard to get by on one income nowadays-it takes like around 3 to be comfortable. I am so grateful that my husband gets up early each day and puts in an average of 12 hour days. I'd like to spend more time with him but I realize that he's got to do what is necessary. It does get lonely throughout the day and thankfully I have a dog, 2 noisy birds, fish, and lizard to keep me company.