Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question re: med records

legalonellegalone Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Management
Hello everyone,

Tomorrow I have an appointment with a new pain clinic. I've gone to one other pain clinic at a university hospital in the past 8 years, however, it has since closed, my doctor relocated and is not prescribing medication, just doing procedures such as Epidurals, Facet Injections and the like, and I've been thru several sets of different types of injections, all to no avail but I need someone to work with me on some medications. I've been seeing a new neurologist also because my former one retired and I am getting so very frustrated with this one because I've tried to explain the side effects I am having (headaches, sweats), the strange feelings I get with this one particular new med he changed me to and he just does not seem to care, nor listen to me.

So, my question is what is the proper way to collate medical records and what is the most important paperwork to have on top for him to see immediately, so that I won't just have a pile of paperwork, but a somewhat orderly set to present to him?

I have documentation of x-ray reports beginning back in 1999 regarding my back pain and how I was hurting, my legs hurting and swelling, however, nothing was ever really found at that time, but now, years later, I have a herniated disk, small bulge in another, annular tears in both,DDD, mild Scoliosis and I want the doctor to see everything, yet not overwhelm him.

Right now I have everything in numerical (date) order, MRI's, MRI reports, correspondence, etc. I also have some MRI's and CT Scans films that I usually take to new doctor. This is my first pain management doctor I've been to see in almost 2 years and I really hope he can help me..

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    What I have been doing every 6 months or so (just like doing a job resume) is to put together a summary, make it a one or max two page paper so that the new doctor(s) can read it easily. No doctor will want to read through pages and pages of information, especially, when they can retrieve this information themselves.
    Make it crisp, latest items first, to the point, only black and white facts.
    That should server you the best
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The PM places I have gone to send out a packet with information to be filled out by you and they ask that recors or pertanenet information is brought to your appt.

If they have not sent anything or do not have time to before your appt, they may ask you to arrive early to do this. Perhaps the best thing for you to do at this point is to call them and ask.

Failing that, I would get online and searchout one of the body sketches the PM places use and print it out and mark the areas you have pain according to the chart.

Then I would write down ALL the medicines you have tried in the past, all the ones you are currently taking and all the procedures you have undergone.

For lack of a better approach I would write down what you are currently experiencing and what has gong on in the past.

They will want the entire record, but they will need to know why you are seeing them NOW. So I would indeed do it by date but start with the newest stuff on top.

Hope this helps.
  • Wrambler, happy to see that the SCS trial is working out for you. My former pain management doctor gave me a DVD to watch and encouraged me to give the SCS some thought. Because I had a stroke and as a result, was left with a painful condition called "thalamic pain syndrome", it affected my left arm and hands, as well as some congitive problems, but he thought since my back problems are on the left side also, that the SCS might give me some relief for my back and leg. Then some doctors believe my leg pain is strictly from the stroke, but I disagree, I know the difference.

I've had back problems since 1997, but the pain and inability (for lack of a better word) to do so many things has worsened the last few years to the point I can't walk very well or very long, I limp, something I didn't do after the stroke 8 years ago, and this too, has just happened the last few years and the pain in my back and hip runs down my leg and the only thing that helps my back is my gel cold pack.

I assume I will have to complete "ALL" those forms when I get there tomorrow since they didn't mail any to me. I have copies of some I have completed in my file.

I actually e-mailed this clinic with a short synopsis of my problems about a month ago to see if they would be interested in meeting with me and discussing my condition. I immediately received a reply from a really sweet girl who had forwarded my e-mail, apparently, to all the doctors.

They said of course they didn't know if they would be able to continue any particular treatment, but she gave me their phone number to call and the name of a doctor. Then the same day, she e-mailed again and told me the name of another doctor who was really a good listener and she said he had indicated that he would be glad to meet with me to discuss any options. Wow, that sounded so good to me. And, she said he was a very good listener because he had even treated her.

So, having e-mailed this girl, Nancy, several times, I feel like I know this her already, she was so nice and sometimes, it's very unusual to find a nice office girl.....lol.....

Ron, I do in fact have a 2 page up-to-date summary of my medical history, including a list of my medications, and other doctors with their addresses and phone numbers. I used this method before and it absolutely works much better than just handing them a file (lol).

I know also you can sign a release for records and your doctor will forward records to a new doctor, but I am not changing doctors, I just want to see if the clinic might be of more assistance to me in certain areas than my neurologist. My neurologist is aware of this appointment. After reading the website information on the clinic and doctors, I think their understanding of chronic pain is much more geared toward my needs. They are also listed on the SH list of doctors and on the list my former pain management doctor gave me. I need lots of prayers and hope this visit works out for me.

Thanks, guys, so much for your input. I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.