Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Worst night ever

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Spinal Injections
Yesterday was my third day after having an epidural injection and the pain was so bad. I cried so much and wanted to be put out of my misery since the pain reached a 9 several times. I even thought about going to the ER but again I was paranoid about bad treatment. I laid on ice packs, used a heating pad on my legs (it is usually one but the other leg decided to join in). It felt like my back kept getting hit with a shovel repetitively. It was hell. I woke up at 4 am in terrible pain and felt guilty about keeping my hubbie awake since he had to be at work in a couple of hours. The thing I can't stand when I'm like this is to lay in complete darkness with nothing but the pain to focus on, so I turned the tv on and left the volume muted.

So now it's Day 4 and I still hurt badly and can't do anything. At least the pain has subsided briefly so I can type. I have a convenient set up with wireless mouse and keyboard so I surf the net from bed, thank goodness. Last week my muscle relaxer was increased but despite this nothing touches the terrible muscle spasms when they hit. I usually save it for the evening and night, but I have to take it throughout the day now in hopes of sleeping through the worst of the pain.

My husband is so upset at everything that I've been through and he is so frustrated that nothing has helped me so far since my back problems started and he feels helpless seeing me like this. I don't know what I'd do without his love and support and I wish I could go back and be in the physical state I once was.

I have tried my utmost best to deal with this situation and be brave for everyone around me, but it is so hard in times like these. I don't want my children to see me like this, but they are so understanding and helpful. Also I'd like to add that I am so grateful for all my SH friends and feel proud to belong to this precious community.

• I'm sorry your going through a bad pain flare right now. I hope you find some relief soon. several people use to meet up in chat at night when their pain prevented them from being about to sleep. it was nice to have someone to talk to who understands how we feel when were dealing with severe pain. take care meydey and maybe I will meet up with you in chat some night when your unable to sleep...m
  • Brokenlady, that is a great idea. The thing is is that my hubbie is a light sleeper and he likes it ultra dark in the room, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind too much. When you're in that amount of pain, I believe any distraction is crucial for your sanity. That is why I like it here so much because it makes me focus on someone else's problem, and it helps me in the process.
  • So sorry to hear the awful pain your in. Have you been in touch with the doc? I feel for you. There has to be something that can control this. Call the doc again & again if you have to. Remember were always hear to lend an ear for you. Vent anythime you can. You can pm me if ya want.

take care & God bless, Norm
  • I'm waiting to hear from the office sometime today. I am still not sure if the epidural was a bust- I went through this same pain crisis with the last one I had over a year ago, but I still hang on to hope I will feel better soon.

How have you been doing so far, have the doctor found something for you to take?
  • This is my 6th one and I hope it works for this scar tissue. They said they were injecting L4-5 and L5-S1. The nerve pain has been horrible and the muscle spasms are kicking my behind. My back hurts so much and I can't get comfortable in any position. I couldn't imagine having something like this go on in my neck, I feel for you too.
  • I totally understand! I had an ESI in my neck a month ago. I was in horrific pain for a week. The Dr.s asst. assured me that it was common & should last just a few days. Well finally it let up around day 5. I won't be doing anymore.

I am so sorry you are going through this. Does heat help? That's what I did & honestly doubled up on my pain meds to get through. My Dr, did not have a problem with the med. part. Maybe you can too?

Your husband sounds a lot like mine. I don't even like to talk about it with him. I know what you mean by not wanting them to see you liake this. I think that may even be more stressful for us.My boys were & still are very understanding to a point. They just don't understand why this is happening to thier Mama. Mine are 13 & 17 & still have a hard time with it just as my husband. I just tell them that I don't feel good & they do whatever they can to help me out.

Hang in there! >:D<
  • Oh, so sorry meydey! I really hate the time between the injections and when it kicks in. I hope you get great relief soon!! If you're up to it come visit us in chat, I always feel better after visiting!
  • Hi Kimmeam, I've been using ice on my back and a little heat where the muscle spams at. What is worse is when that awful lightning pain strikes you out of nowhere and you cry until it's over. I am glad your ESI let up after the fifth day and totally relate to having a hard time in between.

Hey Jay, thanks for your reassurance and invitation- I'll try to give it a "shot" and join in at chat :)