Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No More Oxycodone

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Medications
I went to fill my regular prescription today and was told that they do not have anymore, that the manufacture isn't sending any more. I usually get brand of Roxicodone, but they didn't even have the generic. So I went to every Pharmacy in town and one had the generic and he said that they are not going to be manufacturing Oxycodone anymore because the government wants it off the market for what's happening with them being sold on the streets......has anyone come across this and if this is the case, what is a good alternative medication? I haven't talked to my Doctor about this yet, as he is out of town, but made an appointment to see him earlier because they also did not have all the pills I needed to fill the whole prescription.......this is crazy!!!!

• I had a script filled last week. 120 30mg tablets. Nobody mentioned anything??

• and I have had problems with different levels. I have had to take 6- 5 mg at a time for 30 mg. Oxycodone is a problem because of mfg. I guess something to do with the opium and Afganistan. Also lots of other stories. My pharmancy has been working with me, but I know that some people are having a real bad time getting thiers filled.
  • cherish22ccherish22 Posts: 706
    edited 06/20/2016 - 9:59 AM
    there is a shortage due to the Ethex company recalling all of their product, and because the government controls the supply to begin with, other companies are struggling to make up the difference. Until then, there are major shortages. People all over the country are scrambling to get their meds and docs are switching them to other meds, which may cause shortages there. It is a real mess in some areas, and not so much in others.

There is so much misinformation out there, and it is shocking to me how many pharmacists are still clueless. The BEST source of info is the pharmacist bulletin - here is a great link to bookmark and continue to check.

As of March 3rd (and a new update should be very soon)

Oxycodone Tablets, Capsules, and Solutions

03 March 2009

Products Affected - Description

Immediate Release Tablets
    Oxycodone Immediate-Release Tablets, Actavis
    5 mg, 100 count (NDC 52152-0165-02) - discontinued
    15 mg, 100 count (NDC 52152-0214-02)
    15 mg, unit dose, 100 count (NDC 52152-0214-11)
    30 mg, 100 count (NDC 52152-0215-02)
    30 mg, unit dose, 100 count (NDC 52152-0215-11)

Oxycodone Immediate-Release Tablets, Ethex
    5 mg, 100 count (NDC 58177-0315-04) - discontinued
    5 mg, unit dose, 100 count (NDC 58177-0315-11) - discontinued
    5 mg, 100 count (NDC 58177-0625-04) - discontinued
    5 mg, unit dose, 100 count (NDC 58177-0625-11) - discontinued
    15 mg, 100 count (NDC 58177-0445-04) - discontinued
    30 mg, 100 count (NDC 58177-0446-04) - discontinued

Oxycodone Immediate-Release Tablets, Mallinckrodt
    5 mg, 100 count (NDC 00406-0552-01)
    5 mg, unit dose, 100 count (NDC 00406-0552-62)
    15 mg, 100 count (NDC 00406-8515-01)
    30 mg, 100 count (NDC 00406-8530-01)

Oxycodone Immediate-Release Tablets, Qualitest
    15 mg, 100 count (NDC 00603-4991-21)
    30 mg, 100 count (NDC 00603-4992-21)

Roxicodone Immediate-Release Tablets, Xanodyne
    5 mg, 100 count (NDC 66479-0580-10)
    5 mg, unit dose, 100 count (NDC 66479-0580-25)
    15 mg, 100 count (NDC 66479-0581-10)
    30 mg, 100 count (NDC 66479-0582-10)

Immediate Release Capsules
    Oxycodone Immediate-Release Capsules, Ethex
    5 mg, 100 count (NDC 58177-0041-04) - discontinued
    5 mg, unit dose, 100 count, NDC 58177-0041-11 - discontinued

Oxycodone Immediate-Release Capsules, Mallinckrodt
    5 mg, 100 count (NDC 00406-0554-01)

Immediate Release Solution
    Oxycodone Immediate-Release Solution, Mallinckrodt
    5 mg/5mL solution, 500 mL (NDC 00406-8555-50)
    20 mg/mL solution, 30 mL (NDC 00406-8558-30)

Oxycodone Immediate-Release Solution, Lannett
    20 mg/mL solution, 30 mL (NDC 00527-1426-36)

Roxicodone Immediate-Release Solution, Xanodyne
    5 mg/5 mL solution, unit-dose, 40 mL (NDC 66479-0583-05)
    20 mg/mL, 30 mL (NDC 66479-0584-03)
    Reason for the Shortage

* In December, 2008, KV Pharmaceuticals, which markets prescription medications through Ethex, voluntarily suspended shipment of all prescription tablet products (http://www.kvpharmaceutical.com/news_center_article.aspx?articleid=276). In early 2009, FDA filed an injunction against KV Pharmaceuticals preventing the company from manufacturing any products until all issues are resolved.
    * Actavis states the shortage is due to manufacturing issues. Actavis has also discontinued manufacturing their oxycodone 5 mg tablet.
    * Mallinckrodt, Qualitest, and Xanodyne are having supply and demand issues.

Estimated Resupply Dates

* Xanodyne has all presentations of Roxicodone 5 mg tablets on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date. Xanodyne is shipping Roxicodone 15 mg and 30 mg tablets as product becomes available.
    * Mallinckrodt has all of their oxycodone immediate-release tablets, capsules, and solution on back order and cannot estimate a release date.
    * Qualitest is shipping oxycodone immediate-release 15 mg and 30 mg tablets as product becomes available.
    * Actavis has their oxycodone immediate-release tablets on a long-term back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.

* Glenmark was not available for contact regarding product availability.
    * Mallinckrodt has their oxycodone immediate-release 5 mg capsules on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.

* Mallinckrodt has their oxycodone 5 mg/5 mL solution in 500 mL size and the 20 mg/mL solution in 30 mL size on back order. The company cannot estimate a release date.
    * Xanodyne has Roxicodone solution 5 mg/5 mL 500 mL bottles available. Roxicodone 5 mg/5 mL in 40 mL unit dose size and Roxicodone 20 mg/mL in 30 mL size are on back order with no estimated release date.
    * Lannett has their oxycodone 20 mg/mL solution on back order with an estimated release date of Mid-March, 2009.

Related Shortages

* Alfentanil Injection— Resolved
    * Butorphanol Injection— Resolved
    * Codeine Phosphate Oral Solution— No Longer Available
    * Diazepam Injection— Resolved
    * Fentanyl Transdermal System Patch
    * Hydrocodone Tablets
    * Hydromorphone Hydrochloride Injection
    * Indomethacin Capsules— Resolved
    * Meperidine— Resolved
    * Meperidine / Promethazine— No Longer Available
    * Methadone Hydrochloride Injection— Resolved
    * Methadone Hydrochloride Tablets— Resolved
    * Methadone Injection— Resolved
    * Morphine PCA Syringes— Resolved
    * Morphine Sulfate— No Longer Available
    * Morphine Sulfate Concentrated Oral Solution
    * Oxycodone Combinations Capsules and Tablets
    * Oxycodone Extended-Release Tablets
    * Pentazocine / Naloxone Tablets
    * Sufentanil Injection— Resolved

March 3, 2009; February 19, 2009; February 6, 2009; January 26, 2009, January 21, 2009, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2009, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
  • Thank You for all that info Cherish......now I understand what's going on.
    I wonder what it's going to be like next month when I have to fill it, but at least now I'll be prepared for it and give myself time to find a place that has them.
    Can't wait to get off this stuf.......

• hi, just wanna comment theres no shortage og of oxy or hydro here in CT> just wanna let ya know... all rx's have it here still, and i hope they continue to have it..
  • I am in Brisbane Australia and take oxycodone (endone) 5mg x 4 a day. No problems here that I am aware of. Hope it resolves for you as this is the only thing that works for me and doesn't have all the side effects like others.

Good luck, love from Aus :)
  • I checked again today in NV and no go, none to be had.
  • My PM found some oxycodone in NV, but I can't say I'm happy about it. It's from the manufacturers that recalled theres: Ethex.

They are 5 mg. capsules instead of the 10 mg. tablets. I don't know if anyone has tried them, but I don't find that they give ANY relief for BT pain which is what they're for.

I'm on 30 mg of methadone atm and 40 mg. of oxycodone. I asked my PM to switch from 15 mg. 4x day of morphine IR since the combo of methadone and morphine was putting me to sleep.

But on the morphine I was fine with 20 - 25 mg of methadone -- I really don't want to go higher -- and with the Ethex oxycodone capsules, I need at least 30 methadone.

I had cut back--due to all the bad press in NV and problems with pain mgt. doctors in the Fall from 240 mg. of oxycontin and 2 mg of dilaudid for breakthrough 3 times a day.

My PM says that the 30 mg of methadone plus the 40 mg. total of oxycondone for breakthrough is ALMOST 2/3 less than what I was taking.

I feel good about that, although I was in so much pain prior to getting the facet injections -- and finally a doctor who INJECTED the stuff where it HURT!! not where he THOUGHT it should hurt! -- that I missed my brother's funeral as it was impossible to get on a plane.

Anyway, anyone tried the oxycodone CAPSULES? Is it just me?
    I took some 5 mg. TABLETS a month or so ago and I could FEEL ONE of them. The capsules I feel nothing unless I take 4. (I'm supposed to take 8 a day -- 2 at a time, but I was trying to take less.)

I think Ethex recalled their oxycodone for putting TOO much in. The weird part is that EVERY pharmacy said that oxycodone was backordered--all mgs. This ONE pharmacy--that even delivered--had 240 of the discontinued brand in stock.

Since they were recalled, I'm wondering if they are even oxycodone at all or just powder?

Just wondering if anyone had tried the Ethex capsules of oxycodone. They're pinkish orange and white.

• Well, the one OTHER breakthrough med my PM mentioned was Opana. He didn't think my insurance would cover it--on Medicare, medicaid--but I think they do.

I'm wondering how it is energy-wise?

It seems that these drugs either make me fall asleep or get me wired? The only way to get them to do neither is to take less and then I get w/d symptoms.

I was getting WD symptoms when I tried to cut my methadone from 3 mg to 2.5, even with using 8 - 10 oxycondone.

Methadone works BEST for my pain and for my mood. I don't wake up with minor WD in the morning, but when I cut it down I did, and unlike ohter meds, it takes a while to get in the system so you can't take one, crawl into bed, and get up feeling 'normal' in 45 minutes. More like 3 hours.

However, for these same reasons and the LONG half-life, I'm terrified of it.

The injections have really been working well, and if I get the ablation--which I may be able to get in the next 6 months as soon as my doctor learns how to do it. (I was going to be a test patient, but the doctor who was going to 'teach' was so arrogant and would not let MY doctor do the preliminaries and even argued about WHERE I was feeling my pain of 13 years that has totally ruined 13 years of my life!!!

I think even a few more injections will make it so I can reduce pain meds. (And I'm NOT going back on Neurontin, even though it did help. I have some horrible posts on that stuff. I nearly went insane!) But I don't like the stigma of opiates.

Allegedly 30 - 40 mg. of methadone isn't a large dose. In fact, when I first began PM, I was given 30 mg. of methadone and the doc said it was a 'baby dose' It was NOT.

I regret not trusting my intuition and believing him. When the tiredness--probably because I was over-medicated--got too much, he switched me to 30 mg of oxycontin. I had horrible withdrawals and went to 80 mg, and then had pain and depression until I was put on 120 mg. I don't think that would have happened if I wasn't on methadone for 3 months first on this 30 mg. baby dose.

Prior to that, I was taking 20 mg. of Vicodin, 10 mg 2x a day, and doing well, so the jump to 30 mg. of methadone, due to the accumulation was huge.

Just taking methadone once, you won't feel too much. I still remember how scared I was when I took my first pill. Then I had hte first real PAIN relief in years. I mean NO PAIN. Level 0! For about 12 hours. Doc said the sleeping would go away and so I took it, but not the breakthroughs at the time.

But when the fatigue did not go away, 30 mg of oxycontin was NOT enough.

Anyway, that's why I'm afraid of methadone, even though it DOES work better than anything so far. I don't want to get my last shot or ablation and then spend a year detoxing, as with methadone, you need to cut down very slowly, like 1 - 2 mg. a MONTH, so even 30 mg. is a lot. And I do not want to get on another opiate like subutex as I've read horror stories about detoxing off of that. It's like each drug is expensive, needs more licensing, is the new wonderdrug and we--the patients--suffer.

SO..... Back to my question. How is OPANA for 1) PAIN relief? I have nerve pain.

2) Does it get one jittery or is it sedative. Oxycodone/hydrocodone would probably fall in jittery while morphine/methadone more in sedating. Just wondering..

and.... if you didn't read my last post, anyone tried ETHEX oxycodone CAPSULE (5 mg)and NOT feel any pain relief except for jitters
  • I'm not sure about Opana for nerve pain....I took it for my arthritis pain...and it did jack crap. They did the direct convert (I was on MS Contin at the time...and it was only lasting 4-6hrs, instead of 12), and I spent two months in pure agony while on Opana. Second month was better, as I had percocet for my BT....but then they had me on Opana ER and Opana IR, OMG. That was 4 weeks of pure torture. Wait, 3. My husband called and demanded they see me, as he had to go on a business trip, and couldn't leave me in the state I was in. Stuck in bed, unable to walk, crying in my SLEEP because of the pain being so bad!

But I know Opana's been a godsend for some people. I am truely convinced after 3yrs in PM, everyone responds differently!!!!

Oh, and to the poster from Brisbane....g'day! Although when I was down there just this past week, in Sydney, I didn't hear a SINGLE g'day, except from my silly husband's "attempts" to "fit in"....with his southern accent. lol! I love love LOVE Australia. Weather is just gorgeous. And everyone (in Sydney anyway) seems so ecologically minded. Love the buses running on natural gas! No nasty stink like the buses in big cities here in the states.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    intended to help with moderate to severe pain.
    It does not address any nerve pain problems.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Update

Well, kind of - there is no update yet. This is official from the headquarters of the pharmacy that I work for. Keep in mind that it's not like another drug company can just start making it. They have to go through FDA approval, which I imagine is a time-consumping process. Ethex basically went under and any other mfg is totally out.

And, don't worry, it isn't because it isn't supposed to be on the market or anything, there is just a mfg issue. We will have a supply again soon, there is just a lot of red tape.

I switched to morphine. Not sure how I feel about it, pretty much the same I guess, but I did have to titrate up. Don't jump into whatever is supposed to be equivalent, it is a different chemical and your body has to get used to it. Good luck!
  • I'm having no problem getting my Oxycodone/APAP 10mg-650mg generic tablets made by Watson filled. I just had 90 more refilled 2 days ago, and the pharmacist said they do not expect any problems with their next order...this is out of N. FL
  • there is more company's that manufacture oxy than just KV and ethex. watkins is ine co. and there is alot more too
  • Finding the 10/650s or any oxy/apap combination. It's only with the Immediate Release pure form of the Oxycodone and the OxyContin or the extended release form. Any form with tylenol or APAP in it is very readily available from what I understand.
  • I had no trouble with filling mine either. I am owed some but I have 2/3 of what I need already (Watson). Are they as strong as the pure Oxycodones? I never had problems with tylenol so it doesn't matter to me to take the APAP's.
  • I had to go to three different Pharmacy's the other day to get my Percocet scrip filled. Doc switched me from 4-30mg Oxycodone a day because I couldn’t get it any longer to 6 10/325 Percs, that was bad enough, 120mg to 60mg overnight. And then I had issue getting Percs filled.
  • I had the same thing happen when I went to refill my morphine sulfate (MsContin) at the beginning of this month. My pharmacist said he keeps ordering this but it never comes in. I am still able to get it at another pharmacy.

My doc originally prescribed oxycontin but my insurance (Medicaid Exellus) wouldn't cover this. I was told by pharmacist they just need a prior authorization number from the insurance company but my doc must not have wanted to mess around with it cuz he switched me to morphine sulfate.

Had anyone tried both oxycontin and mscontin and if so did you find that one worked better than the other? I am just wondering because the mscontin doesn't seem to do much for me. I still have to take BT meds at least once a day cuz the morphine sulfate doesn't last 12 hours.
  • I take MSContin (Morphine) 30mgs 3 times a day. I had the same issue with it not lasting 12 hours. Shucks - not even 6 hours! So, my doc increased it from twice a day to 3 times. I don't really notice any difference, but boy howdy! I sure notice when I "DON'T" take them!

I will be attempting to refill the Oxycodone in a day or so... Wish me luck everyone!

• Hi Michelle, I think your doctor should have taken the time to call the insurance company. Seems like he took the easy way around. Anyway, from what I've read in the past I think oxycontin is more potent than morphine. They can always readjust the dose if it doesn't last as long as it should. Some of us metabolize meds faster than others; I use fentanyl patches and they were originally made for every 3 days but I need to change it every 2. I don't have any experience with oxycontin or morphine so I'm sorry I can't add anything else.

I'm still waiting on the rest of my Percocets to come in at the pharmacy. I'm good for now but hope there aren't any problems when I need to get them later on.
  • I think the reason why they run out is maybe they don't stock as much as they used to. I constantly hear on the news about people breaking into pharmacies when they are closed or robbing them during business hours for the narcotics and opiates. It's because of these junkies that we have to suffer. I imagine that all of you are hearing the same thing on your news reports.

I am going to talk to the doc when I have to get my refill next week about getting the prior authorization number for the oxycontin. I've also seen quite a few comments on here about how oxycontin seemed to help others better than Mscontin. Now that I have the new diagnosis from the neuro,maybe my doc will listen to me better when I tell him that I am in pain.
  • Were you able to get your meds today?
  • I have no trouble getting this drug in England i am on 30mg twice daily i just hope at the moment anyway that they dont have problems getting it as after a long list of pain control tablets for me this was the one that did help i am having Radiorequency Denervation done on April 5th so i am hoping all i will be taking after afew weeks will be a paracetomol LOL
  • I have not picked up the written prescription from my doc's office yet.

I'll let you know.

• When you go back to see the doctor, he's the one who has to call the insurance company for that preauthorization-we're not allowed to do it. Hopefully he'll do it for you and the oxycontin will be approved so that you get better pain relief. I once had to wait for preauth for Lyrica and my old insurance tanked it despite the doctor's request. They were real penny pinching bastards. No wonder I dropped them the following enrollment period. :P
  • I hope you dont get caught up with withdrawels off Oxycondone, its the worst thing to go through. Couple that with the underlying pain your trying to suppress and you'll be going through hell. I'd suggest finding a sub thats not so physically addictive. I've been there and it's very very hard to stop taking. Dont mean to sound so negative, back disc/leg pain sucks but so does the gov't (FDA) having control over pain meds that so many depend on daily.
  • i asked my pharmacist the question ..is there a problem with the supply of oxycodone {oxycontin and oxynorm} in the UK and she said NO ..i dont understand why the USA is having problems? ...
  • Hey Tony,

Do you have people in the UK robbing and breaking into pharmacies to get their hands on the narcotics, opiates and other meds such as zanax and valium? This is very common in the US. There are lots of reports on TV as well as programs indicating how bad the abuse of narcotics and controlled substances are in the US. It is very popular thing for teens to get addicted to as well. They said it's cheaper than buying other street drugs. It's such a shame to see the medications we depend on to be functional throughout our day are being abused by kids and other junkies for a high. Those of us in chronic pain are the ones that suffer.
  • the oxycodone phanominom has not yet hit the UK .and the drug addicts can get methadone on script very easily over here .street drugs like cocaine and ecstasy and cannabis's are widely available .so as a rule our chemist stores are reasonably safe .also over here NO GUNS!! ..