Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Headaches from cervical disc degeneration and pain to touch

Serenity6SSerenity6 Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Does anyone who has degenerative cervical discs have headaches? My head always hurts. It comes up the side of my neck and into my ear and teeth.

Also is it normal to to be able to touch the cervical disc that is hurting you and have pain to touch. This is a new symptom for me.:?

• It is possible to have something like a trigger point in your neck or along the base of your skull where the occipital nerves run. I have long battled that issue with both the lesser and greater occipital nerves.

Are you being treated by a neurologist by chance? I have had nerve blocks done by both a neurologist and pain management doc to isolate the problem to the nerves to see whether they were the source of the headaches.

Sorry you have to suffer daily headaches.

• I have always had headaches that appear to go along with my cervical pain. Once the neck pain started, it always worked it's way up into a headache. After my first surgery in 2004, the headaches seemed to subside for a few years until the neck pain came back in 2007. Now I am having more pain than ever and I am assuming the headaches are part of my new cervical problems. I am hoping if I can figure out how to solve the current problems, the headaches will subside again. I wish you the best of luck and less pain also.

• I was getting full blown migraines almost everyday due to my disc herniation and the spinal cord compression. I've only had one migraine now since the surgery and it did last for 3 days. Huge improvement there.
  • Story of my life-headaches from DDD.
    There is a complex relationship between the nerves, bones and muscles, all adding something to the pain.
    So you may need to treat more than one thing to get relief.
    I have had facet joint injections 9 times, and they helped for 6 weeks or so.
    But as well I have a lot of muscle problems due to inactivity and trying to protect the sore neck.
    So I am now starting on a physical exercise/ stretching routine (any day now!) as my pain is probably half nerve and half muscular.
    In fact, my first remedial massage removed that shadowy neck pain that was always there in the background, obviouls muscular in origin. Like a clamp over the back of the head.
    When looking into your neck pain , consider nerve and muscle pain, not just one or the other. They are closely linked.
  • I am am currently seeing a pain management doctor who is giving me my third epidural injection on the 24th of this month. That you for being compassionate.
  • Thanks for the insight. I am new to this and all the information I can get is good?
  • Thank you for your response!:)