Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post-op pain ---microdiscectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I went to India for microdiscectomy surgery in Feb. It's been 6 weeks since the surgery. All was going well for the first 5 weeks. I'm very concerned about some pain in the last few days. Pain across lower back, pain in buttock(left), and spasms in my left calf. I'm worried that I've re-ruptured. I'm worried in general. Can anyone who's had this procedure offer any advice?

craig
advertisement

Comments

• I am 13 days PostOp from Micro. Interestingly, I was just looking at India for Micro.

Well..I went for my first PostOp check-up today and the nurse practioner didn't seem too concerned about my pain. I was fine for 10-11 days and all of sudden my pain (not to the same degree) returned. She(the NP) said it could be from inflammation and surgery that the nerve is still causing pain. She told to increase my walking to 20 min. three times a day and recommended physical therapy starting next week.

I did have coughing and sneezing spell due to my allergy before my pain started. who knows. good luck!
  • Craig, I had a microdiscectomy in October 2008 for a huge L5-S1 rupture. My pain level went down from about an 8 to about a 2 immediately. They told me to start walking 3 times a day totally at least 45 minutes. I started the day after the surgery and did it every day. About 6 weeks later my calf and buttock pain came back to a level of about 5. I too freaked out and went back to the surgeon. He did a new MRI and said that it was scar tissue. All of the walking is supposed to keep the scar tissue from growing as much and attaching to the nerve. In my case it didn't work. They said that everyone is different regarding scar tissue but it schrinks fairly easily with a selective nerve root block of cortizone/steroid right up against the nerve, so I agreed. The SNRB shot hurts like hell FYI, but within 3 to 4 days the pain was back down to about a 2. It has been 45 days since the shot and it is holding steady at about a 2. I have been walking daily 55 minutes. I can handle the pain at a level of 2 without taking any pain medication and without a significant reduction in quality of life. I'm hoping it will not come back again. I don't know how often you can get the shots before damage is done to the muscles and nerves from the steroids.
  • Did they give you any pain meds? I hope so! Here's a site where you can order them if you need them. It is www.nowhere.com They carry a wide variety and the prices are good.

Hope you can find something to help with the pain.

Post edited to remove URL, solicitation is not permitted on Spine-Health
    User warned

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator 03/29/09
  • Thanks for the input everyone. I'm currently on Lyrica (75mg 2x daily). I'm only on this med for one more week. I see my GP again next week, and I'm going do push for a post-op MRI. If I have to I'll pay for it. That will hopefully bring me some peace of mind. My back has gotten a bit better, but last night it was bothering me again, along with bad sciatic pain for about 4 hours. The the worst it's been since surgery. Oh well, todays a new day....
  • I had a microdiscectomy at the same level back in November of '08. Recently I had an acute low back pain and swelling. I suspect it may have re-hernited. The pain is not as bad as pre-op but enough to cause concern. I go back to the ortho next week and will request another MRI if he doesn't. Prior to this my pain was also managed without meds. Prior to surgery initially I lived with it for 2 years with chiro vists that were up and down finally the pain became unbearable. I'm afraid a fusion might be in my near future.
  • I had micro April 1st and was still feeling alot of pain so they put me back on lyrica 200mg a day and amitriptiyne at night. I had an MRI last week because i was 12week post op and pain was still very bad, scan came back clear so surgeon just explained nerves take a very long time to recover, just rest up and also walk each day if you can. I had same surgery 4 years ago and it took over a year for me to feel fully better and pain free.
    hang in there, we'll all get there, eventually
    Jo
advertisement