Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Weeks Post OP

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So, it will be 2 weeks tomorrow that I had L5/S1 discectomy and laminectomy (sp?) and I am feeling great. I have tried to find posts by others who have had the same operation with the same problem, however, I'm finding that most people have even more when going in than I did. This is making it hard for me to find out about recovery rates and such. I guess since I'm feeling great, I'm thinking that I can go back to work full time next monday. I only work at a Subway Sandwich shop which doesn't require much physical lifting etc, just on my feet for 6 hours and do a bit of bending and twisting, but I was careful before surgery, don't think that will change. I feel great, I mean, yea, sometimes I get a pain here or there, but nothing I can't handle after what I've been through...(I'm sure you all can relate!) My hips get a little sore after walking 1/2 mile but that's ok....

So...things I should watch out for? I mean my doctor said that I can return to work as I see fit after week 2...do you think I am getting ahead of myself or do you think it's possible that I am just healing right along and that I shouldn't be concerned as long as I am good to myself and don't over do it...

• I don't think you're supposed to do any bending or twisting for awhile. Is this okayed by your Surgeon? That's great that you're feeling better though. How long did you have L5-S1 problems before surgery? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My surgeon said that It was up to me...most of my bending is done at the knees because I refuse to bend at the waist, due to it causing so much pain before surgery. I was hurting so much going to work every day...I hated that OMG. But I had to work or my bills wouldn't get paid. So basically the reason my surgeon said that it's up to me is because she knows that I have trained myself to bend at the knees not using my back. The main restriction she said was not lifting more than 10 lbs 2nd week, 15 lbs 3rd week, etc...which is easy to do because everything at work is 25 lbs or less and I haven't done any lifting of those items because it hurt too much as well, my employer just has other employees do it for me. The biggest thing is the frozen stuff and like I said nothing over 25 lbs.

I started having problems in Jan 07 when I was getting into or out of my car, I don't remember which. I felt a really bad pain in my back...but I had sciatica since I was pregnant with my youngest daughter who is 7 now. Took me 2 years to find a doctor who would listen to me and do an MRI. Once the MRI was done, they saw the herniation and put me on some pain meds and muscle relaxers. They didn't even touch it. Well when they finally put me on Gabapentin it was like a miracle, the electric shock like feelings went away. Then we had a big storm that covered everything in snow for over a week and I put the chains on my car, with assistance, and after I couldn't even walk, I was literally in so much pain I couldn't move. I knew then that something bad happened.

The funny thing is that when I got referred to the neurosurgeon after my left leg went numb and lost strength I assumed they would need another MRI. I was wrong. The surgeon looked at my original images and said that it's one of the biggest she's seen. She recommended surgery right away. After surgery she said that the disc was actually calcified...she said that it had been injured for a long time for it to be calcified. So, in all honesty, I don't know how long it had been like that.
  • I guess if your Dr says it's a go to back to work because you need to work I guess you have no choice but try to take lots of breaks if you can. Good luck I hope you remain painfree. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My advice would be go slow, give it a try but listen to your body, one day at a time. When you are at work try not to twist to turn and look at someone/something behind you, sit a few minutes between standing so you give your back/legs a break. I think when we feel better we do a little too much too soon and then we pay for it. If you feel good go for it but don't over do it just because you can. Continue to let your body guide you for at least a few months.
  • It is very maddening for me that I can't take the time I need for my body to heal. Already having to take off 3 weeks I am about to be evicted...I have nobody else to rely and depend on to pay my bills except for myself. It's not like I get child-support or any thing. I make 8.40/hr and work 30 hours a week when I work. I had to work in that kind of pain. I didn't WANT to...I HAD to. Do you really think I wanted to go to work in pain? Do you really think I WANT to go back to work now? It's either work or let my 3 children learn what street life is like...I feel like I have NO choice in the matter. This situation I am in is the worst ever. I would rather have been in pain making money for my family than unable to do anything for myself.

Do I worry about re-herniation...YES. Do I worry that I will over-do it...YES. But what does a person in my shoes do? I literally have nobody. It's such a long story. My family disowned me, tried to have my children taken away from me all because I got my medical marijuana card for my pains!!!!!!! That's the support I get.
  • I deleted my initial post.I am really sorry.You wanted to hear from someone that has been thru it.I never meant anything bad.Good luck and be very,very careful.