Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What do I do next??

dorset boyddorset boy Posts: 148
I was in Day Surgery yesterday to have Facet Joint injections (10 done) 2 ganglian nerve blocks & had the unexpected joy of a cordal ESI which I hadn't been scheduled for. I last had these done in July last year & had a follow up telephone consultation in October (should have been december but I kicked off!!) Things went well apart from taking longer than expected to walk or pass urine afterwards - they almost had to move me to another hospital & admit me overnight - I lied to them & said I had passed urine when I hadn't it was 5 hours after the procedure before "everything" was no longer numb. Today all is good, some hip pain & the calf muscles feel like they've been ripped out & replaced !!LOL.
The real reason for the post is that although i was "consented" by the pain clinic surgeon prior to the procedure I tried to tak to him about my current prognosis, pain levels, new pain & how to alter my medication regime so the benefit was increased but I could still function & work. All he realy said was that rather than the morphine I could try Fentinal patches which I have never had previously. He didn't have the time or the inclination to talk to me, I know he had a full "list" but this was going to be my only oportunity to talk to anyone, face to face. I will get another follow up telephone call in 6 months time - unless I call their secretary & say things have worn off or pain has increased etc - shes the only person that I actually have a meaningful relationship with & she is normally telling me to go away as they are too busy! or you'll just have to wait your turn.!!
Should I try & get back into see the Spinal Surgeons team again & try to push for further tests or look at other treatment??
Sorry for a long rant but I really feel cheated by the British National Health System!! db

• I wanted to acknowledge your post even though I don't quite know what to say. Our medical system, at least for now, is so different from the NHS that I just do not know how things work for you, what the possibilities are, etc.

I am much more dependent on my physicians. I've been seeing my surgeon every two weeks since my surgery on 20 Jan. I am having a caudal steroid injection on Wed. to try to help with post-surgery inflammation, and the surgeon wants to see me two weeks after...so I just cannot imagine what it would be like to not talk or see someone for six months...and to kind of just be left hanging.

I would encourage you to go back to your surgeon, if that is a possibility. It sounds like you are being treated for post-surgery issues when maybe someone needs to take a fresh look at what is really going on.

Hopefully someone more familiar with the NHS will have some good suggestions for you.

xx Gwennie
  • Yikes! DB. I complain about the cost of health care system here (US) but I guess I rather pay more to be able to see my doctors whenever I need them.

I have tried Fentanyl patches and they didn't do anything for my pain. My pain doctor instructed me to take them off and gave a fourth ESI. The following week I ended having microdiscectomy for the leg pain.
  • Bad days this week, which is odd because I am soo much better pain wise almost 90% better off so the guy did his job well.
    The problem is that on the NHS my surgeon has kind of signed off on me, taken me off his list & I have been transfered onto the pain clinics list, where I will remain until they can't do much more & then I will be transfered back onto the surgeons list - paperchase time !!! in my area there are two othro surgeons to cover up to cover up to potentially 250,000 people in the region & in the pain clinic the numbers are about the same too.(not that thery're all sick!!LOL!!)
    Not enough money, staff, surgeons, face to face clinic time or theatre time for any of them - thats whats frustrating. Had I have just injured I wouldn't mind but I hit my 5th anniversary on June 26th & despite the surgeries have only been truely pain free for a max of 6-7 months during this whole time. Whinge over, I was glad people had replied!!!
  • Like Gwennie, thanks for replying!
    I know there are loads of people from the UK use the site at times, but don't get a chance to "talk" to many of them -Straker is great though (just incase he's reading this!LOL!!).
    Some days its just so in-just that I could scream, other days it the old british mentality of "make do & queue" & that this is the system that we have & its free - not always enough to see you through the off days!!!
    Thanks db
  • you know as well as me what our NHS is like ! unless you are on the floor and carnt stand up or cant go to the toilet forget it .by the time you see your pain person again things may have settled down.i have tried going to the A and E dept and telling them how bad the pain is but they dont give a stuff they just tell you to go home and take more pain killers and rest.walk in centres are a waste of money and time so dont bother .the only thing to do is go see your you doctor and see what he thinks otherwise its a wait and see time again.as for going private i would not waste my money {i have done in the past].your just in the bad back club and i am afraid its a life long membership!! sorry mate but been there and got all the tee shirts!!
  • I see that you garden. Well...not now..even for me. But a few months ago I remember when I was digging up chunks of liriope grass in my backyard, I fell backwards on my bum. I felt a popping feeling in my lower back. I don't think that is the only thing that injured my back, but years of careless things that I did. In addition, my genetic makeup gave me a bad back.
  • I've only got so much space in my wardrobe for the t shirts LOL. I was just venting as I know that by the time I see or speak to anyone again I will be in agony again as these injections will have worn off a long time before that happens. its probably all part of the coming up for 5 years mark in a couple of months & turning 40 in Spetember, being single & fighting to keep my business alive - a battle that I am starting to loose!! Thanks for replying see you soon