Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why I am losing faith in Doctor especially in pain Managment

Frustrated101FFrustrated101 Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Management
Fraud Case Rocks Anesthesiology Community

My own Doctor has cited this man's work as a reason to avoid opioids as a proper form of long term treatment of pain.I want to avoid them as well. but the fact remains they do work and if a patient and Doctor work together it can be done.

But, beyond this, it just shows again flavor of the month drugs like Lyrica are being shoveled down patients throats for pure benefit of the drug companies.They did it with Anti Depressants and now that that cash cow is milked, pain is the next great frontier.I apologize, if this seems like a political rant, IT is NOT, just a wake up call for us as patients to question the motives of those who care for us.

• Hello,
    Patients expectation at times put pressure on doctors that providing medication is just a process of giving them suitable medication and if as you suggestion intimates that as many increasingly agree, that medication alone will not get the job done, then the associated angst would be audible from here….

It is wrong to suggest that one individual case is representative of the whole, where as you say we are beholden on accepting any inference of improvement based of the medication that we take, we have accepted that this is the answer, thing are changing and distributing antibiotics wholesale has now stopped. The most effective PM strategy is a diverse one, covering many variables and not just medication alone, as you say you can just say no. It is poignant that medication alone is seen as the only residual solution for our pain when all other alternatives and expectations have failed us. As you, I have been working with my doctor for many years to formulate an adequate overall strategy for my pain and every tablet has apprehension, reluctance and reality emblazoned on its surface.

Even if I do nothing my pain level fluctuate so the concept on taking no medication an unrealistic aspiration I am always looking at take more effective medication and less if possible and as reality bites my strategy is tested. In coping, less is more from my cloudy and fuzzy perspective.

Take care John.
  • I've read many posts where Lyrica was a godsend to some folks and Cymbalta and Ultra or tramadol. If you never try some of these meds, you never know if they might have helped you. I've been to a PM doctor and he tried all the above on me, plus several epidural shots. Yes, he made boo-coos of money off of the shot administrator to me. I haven't been back after going on my own to a NS and having a fusion last July, then a revision to add hardware in Dec. The PM didn't go far enough by doing a myelogram/discogram or an EMG to find that I had nerve problems and a torn disc that was chipped off, leaving the bones to jump the track depending on my movements. If I had just had slighter problems, the PM would have been a great relief and worth the time and money. Thank God for insurance!!!

Now, I too have been on narcotics that are no longer helping that much and am trying Cymbalta again and Flexeril at night for my neck pain. Sometime during PT for my last fusion surgery, I strained my neck, but after xrays and an MRI, I've found out that I have moderate spinal stenosis from two disc C5-C7 that are bulged out and bone spurs and all that wonderful stuff.

I'm just glad that there are PM's for some to go to that no other doctor would take the time to work with. All doctors have limitations and some overdo the meds, some underdo the meds, some don't take time to listen to you and get frustrated when you keep coming back and being persistent.

The biggest thing we can do, is listen to your body and take care of your own self. Push when you need to, speak up, make a list, change doctors or (fire) them when you need to. We have choices, it's our body. Never ever fully entrust yourself to a doctor's care.
  • I know on more that one of my surgeries I had a Celebrex given to me preop. They said it would help post op pain.
    Well, if it did, I do not remember any difference between any of the surgeries! The last on was awful and I know I was given celebrex before hand. I know that is not scientific data. I believe if it is offered this next time for my SCS I will refuse it. Or maybe not.

I wonder if somewhere in Dr. R's labyrinth of fraud is the truth hiding? He may have documented the real numbers there somewhere. The problem is they would be unsafe as-is the published data so much has been based on.

Is any of us immune from this? All we can do is try what is suggested and pray we find the answer to get through another day.
  • I've been in two different pain clinics. Both completely different experiences.

First clinic....they shoved ALL brand-name meds at me...Cymbalta (which was a $75 co-pay a MONTH for me at the time. I can afford it, but I don't WANT too!), Lyrica, various patched like lidoderm, etc. Everything BUT the pain meds (which I refused to take the other stuff without them giving me pain meds...they finally relented!) was top-tier prices on my co-payments, and thousands of dollars in billing to my insurance company. I was never given samples (except a lyrica bottle they threw at me one time), I was told I didn't "qualify" because my husband and I could easily afford the co-pays, and samples were for patients who couldn't! Ummm, okay....and how did they KNOW we could afford the co-pays? To this day, I have NO idea, because I refused to give them our income...all I can figure is they are really dirty and pulled records from somewhere (they were a VERY dirty clinic!!!)

My second and current clinic. Totally different. First thing the Dr asked me was "do you have a list of your co=pay schedule, so I can save you money on your medications" (I was spending about $800 a month on scripts..it was INSANE. Nice tax write-off at least!). My old clinic...they refused to let you use mail-order. My new one uses it for everything they can. Except the pain meds and muscle relaxers. I now spend $75 a month for EVERYTHING I take. That includes birth control! We're about to cut it to $50, since we're cutting something out that I can get a similar one for free from mail-order (generics for me...I get 3-months supplies free, if I use mail-order. Name brand is $25 a month). I was totally shocked that he asked for that, and they fight for a lower co=payment constantly on one of the medications I take. Oh, and I get samples ALL the time, and anytime they have coupons for a script I'm on....they have it for me before I'm even in the office. It's typically sitting in my chart with a note to pass it to me.

I really think I just got incredibly lucky with the Dr & NP I see. I hear SO many horror stories!!! Yes, I do have a contract, I DO have rules to "follow", and I have to be able to be called in for a drug test and pill count with 24hr advance notice. WHich, I have been called in for a couple of times. (always right on with everything, so there's never been a problem.) But I am OKAY with that, as long as I am treated like a human being, and they actually treat my pain. IF they start pushing procedures, name-brand stuff, etc, I'll be looking for a new Dr in a second. I've already been through that crap, and it was a nightmare...mentally, physically, AND financially!!!!

I understand that I do have to jump through hoops, to some extent, to continue with the treatment plan I am on...which is fine. But Drs who push for expensive treatments (that aren't needed!), or brand-name medications (when there's 99% of the time a suitable generic), are in it for the perks and money. I get that...but I'm not going to contribute to it! We still have SOME rights as patients!!! Now if only all these hollywood morons would quit abusing the drugs that keep us living a somewhat normal life, there wouldn't be such a stigma about us!!! (pain patients)

I have a relative who's pursuring PM as a profession...and I just want to shoot the cocky bugger. He seriously believes that SSRI's can cure all pain. I really struggle to not give him a good old punch in the face when he starts lecturing me (he did a turn with my PM Dr...and I happened to have an appointment one of the days he was there. *sigh*), and I swear, my husband has to be held back even more! It jsut shows that current society and medical "thoughts" are making PROPER treatment a taboo, and it also shows the influence of the pharmacutical companies! I know some states are passing laws to prevent the use of "freebies" in a drs office anymore, like pens, paper, etc, because the "dr payoffs" are starting to get out of control, and it's really starting to affect patient care!

Don't EVEN get me going on what hell we're going to be in if the current administration carries on the path they are on. We'll all be running to California and Canada for alternative treatment!