Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OH PLEASE let me vent!

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well i'm still in therapy,11months post op now.I had a lot of problems to fix.A lot of strengthening to work on and then the accident i had put me so far back its not funny. If i could see that woman that hit our car i would kill her.This whiplash stuff sucks really bad.Its making it so hard for me to get anywhere.To be able to strengthen my muscles without putting myself into a flair of pain for days on end.I went to therapy on mon. did exactly what i always do and then walked home.Then two hours after i was home i started to get horrible pain throughout my arms and back and my legs down to my knees.I hardly slept at all that night and ended up taking three baths to try and relax myself and calm the pain.Some how i made it through yesterday and today i woke up feeling the same again,third day in a row so i started taking my neurotin again this morning. It helped some.It dulled the pain.So i know that its nerve pain thats come back for some reason.Its the first time since the operation that i've had to take them and i really don't want to start taking them every day again.I have to go to therapy again tomorrow and i really don't want to exercise and make it worse and be up again another night without sleep.And everytime i have a pain flair he tells me to back off the exercises which doesn't get me anywhere fast that's for sure.I know that my muscles are stronger then what i'm doing now,but i have to be so careful because of the whiplash that my improvements are so slow.I just wish someone would give me some fantastic advice to get me over all of this so i can get stronger and go on with my life.Thats all i ask ,to have my life back!!!

• Hi Tammyc, you sure needed to vent.
    It's a bit of a Catch-22 with these things.
    You have to do constant work on the muscles and general physical health as they are are part of the problem, but what do you do when your body says NO?
    Could you cut back on the activities and basically start from scratch, so that you can find out which ones you can do and which ones you can't.
    It is important that you keep it up, but if you just get hurt each time you are going to stop.
    It's hard enough getting motivated to do anything new when you have chronic pain, but to find you are making it worse is not going to help.
    I'd suggest you let it settle down and then when you are ready, start again, very cautiously.
    There's no magic bullet, you just have to work your way through it.
    I've been given some things like yours to do, but just can't make the first step.
  • boy you really seem to know what i mean.its so very frustrating.Knowing how strong i used to be and seeing where i am now,i could just scream. X( That's exactly why i don't want to have to tell my therapist about my pain because i know he's gonna want me to slow down again and i just want to forge on and get myself as strong as i can.
  • if you stop, you will stiffen up and then you'll have pain AND stiffness. Sounds like you need to slow down in your therapy a bit. Are there some machines that make things worse for you? I had one machine that I did twice and each time I couldnt even turn my head or walk up the stairs when I got home. Just remember that if you push yourself farther than your body can do then you're actually taking a few steps backwards because you cannot stretch well or exercise or anything while you're in pain. plus unless youre on some real good meds you will tighten your muscles to cope which will make it even worse.

Have you tried moist heat? Some heat pads are too dry and dont seep into the muscles too well.

I hope you feel better soon. Your problems make mine seem like kids play...and I feel like crap so I'm sure it must be really challenging to have been rear ended after having surgery which is challenging enough as is!

• I agree! If the therapy is causing you discomfort, slack off a little. I know exactly what you mean when you want to do more than you are capable of. I honestly beleive that if you have faith, God can work miracles.

Best of luck! :)
  • I can give you a great instance of trying to do more than your body can handle.

Well my chirpractor started putting me on traction for my neck. It would make my neck so stiff and sore but I wouldn't let on to him much.

Well I go in one day and he adjusts me and puts the tens and traction on me. While I am laying there my neck starts hurting really bad. I keep laying there and I can feel the blood rushing to my face because it is hurting so bad. So after about five minutes, I hollar at his assistant. She goes and gets the chiropractor and he has to manually take the traction off my neck. The traction was not realeasing. It just kept pulling my neck. A computer malfunction. :Jawdrop:

He kept apologizing to me but I told him not to worry about it. It was not his fault. I should have spoke up from the begining.

I suffered for three days because of that.
  • i went to therapy today and told him how i was feeling,i didn't do my weights at all but when i was doing my balancing exercise i fell and hit my hip pretty hard.It didn't hurt at the time but i'm sure i'm gonna feel it later tonight.I have a headache now and its probably from the jolt hitting the floor.Damn i just can't do anything right it seems.I can feel myself starting to get depressed again over this situation,trying to snap myself out of it,but its difficult.hopefully things turn around soon.
  • I feel the same not having my life back yet. I am supposed to start PT soon but I don't even think I need it my neck feels OK what do they even work on??? Maybe getting the strength back in my arm (which I believe its permanently gone). what do they actually work on?? But yes I believe that if it hurts you need to let them know I am glad you did and hopefully you won't be in so much pain!!

Looking at your picture makes me think I had the same surgery you did and my scar is probably half the size. I thought mine was way too small I was expecting it to be a lot longer!!....LOL. I guess it just depends on how the Dr does it!!
  • Tammy I feel for you. I know it is easy to say and harder to do, but try to take one day at a time. I am always here for you if you need to vent.

• Tammy - I know trust me I know. I was once a body builder, boxer and looked hot needless to say at this current time on my life lifting a pillow under my head is about the most my triceps see. I look at pictures from 7 years ago and cannot believe I am the same person. It sucks and I can only say one day at a time....
  • Is that the actuall picture of your spine? Man, that has got to be painful. My problem is small compared to yours.
    I pray that God will touch you and give your relief. :)
  • TY - that was my spine at the age of 16 with the lumbar curve being 54 degrees. I need to get my latest exrays up there - it is all mostly metal in there these days!
  • Man you have been through it! I bet your tough as nails!
  • So sorry i haven't been on for a few days.I went for a massage yesterday morning,told my massage therapist how i was feeling and he adjusted his massage a bit to suit my needs. I'm so glad that i made the apt. i came out feeling a lot better.He was able to bring my pain way down.I did have therapy again in the afternoon,but didn't work too hard because i didn't want to start the pain getting worse.I thought for sure that i would be able to sleep well last night,but unfortunately it didn't happen. :W Even though my pain was much better it was still there and my muscles were still too tight.Didn't matter what i did i just couldn't relax enough to get much sleep.I got up at 2am and had a hot bath,thought it would relax me enough to fall asleep.After i got out of the tub i took a muscle relaxant and a pain pill and it was 5:30 when i finally fell sleep but then i was awake again at 8am.I don't know every doc. that i've seen since my accident told me to keep moving and exercising through this but it feels to me like its just making my muscles worse.I realize that the doc. probably know a little bit more then i do especially since i've never been in this kind of situation before but i'm the one that has to feel the tight muscles and nerve pain every day.
  • Have you tried doing your massage after PT? Although they insisted that I do massage first I always found that I had much less pain if I did it after to release the muscles that got tight during the PT. It may be somthing to try.

Hang in there gal,
  • Yes normally i do massage the day after therapy so that i have the whole day to relax and have it sink in. I try and give myself as much time as i can before i have to go back to therapy.This time i went first thing in the morning for my massage only because i was desperate for some relief and it was the only time he had available or i would have had to wait another five days.My massage therapist told me the last time that he's feeling so difference in my neck and arm area for the better but my mid and lower back and hips are still the same as they were just after my accident.I don't know what else that i can do to help myself get better.I take a muscle relaxant in the morning when i get up,i take pain meds. about an hour before i exercise so its not too painful when i do it and then just after i get home i take another pain med. because by then the first one has worn off. and i take another muscle relaxant and pain med. at bedtime.along with a hot bath and stretching. My doc. told me that once my narcotics are done she wants me only taking tylenols,she refuses to give me anymore saying that she's worried i'm going to get addicted to them.My surgeon doesn't want me exercising in pain but won't perscribe any meds to me because i see him so seldom he wants my family doc. handling my meds. i think i have another two weeks of medication left then whether i'm better or not i'm on tylenols,and if i'm in more pain then i'll have to deal with it somehow.I don't see my surgeon until the end of next month for my one year check up.Hopefully by then i'll be feeling better.