Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WARNING
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval
ATTENTION: All NEW MEMBERS
1) Your first discussion or comment needs to go through a moderator's approval process before it can be published.
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

Anybody doing the IDET thing?

sagehenssagehen Posts: 221
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Management
I am wondering if this method of pain relief would help me... I'm looking at a second 2 level fusion...trying to find some other way to deal with my issues.... Thanks for any and all input! Sagehen
advertisement

Comments

• I had an IDET last year. It seemed to fixed some issues, but I am worse then before. Doctors say it has nothing to do with the IDET. It not an approved treatment option anymore, but if you can get a doctor to do it, it is worth trying before major surgery. It was painful for a few days, but compared to a discography it was a cake walk. Hope this helps.
  • I am going in for a discogram on April 9th then my Dr. will then decide if the IDET will work for me. I think he is really leaning that way.

WoahNelly - You said that this isn't an approved treatment option anymore. I hadn't heard that, nor come across that while researching the procedure. In fact I had never even heard of IDET until my Dr. mentioned it last week.
  • Insurance does not consider the IDET an approved treatment, so they don't pay for it. The most recent data says it's a 50/50 shot, well worth taking if you have a lot of pain. But insurance companies say it does not work so they won't pay. Check with your insurance before you do a ton of research.

There are some newer versions of the IDET, but I don't know if those are covered by insurance. Workmans comp will usually pay for IDET's. My insurance refused to pay for the $15K procedure, but I was lucky that the company that makes the equipment covered the cost.

I am happy to answer any questions about the procedure, I had anesthesia where they woke me up at one point to ask questions and then put me back out. It was about 1 hour and I had two treatment.
  • a couple of weeks after a discogram put me in the dirt. My discogram showed an annular tear in the L5-S1, so I had an ortho surgeon perform an IDET to correct that problem. With me, it was a short outpatient procedure where I was in a recovery room for a few hours afterwards and released wearing a brace. Now, I'm going on my memory here from a few years ago, but no BLT for 6 weeks. The way my surgeon explained it to me was that all of the "healing" is after the fact as the collagen changes composition over time to self-seal the tear...that's why you really need to be careful even up to 6 months afterwards as to not undo the process and put you back to square one as if nothing was ever done. It seems as though a lot of surgeons are not too keen on this particular procedure saying that they're only 50-60% successful, but for me it's a lot easier than the fusion I just had. For me, the pain during the week afterwards my IDET was LESS than the week after my discogram
  • I checked with my insurance and IDET is a procedure that they do NOT cover. Thanks so much for pointing that out to me. I guess I was so wrapped up in researching what the procedure was that checking whether or not it was covered by my insurance completely slipped my mind. I think I need to get a little notebook or something to keep notes and write down questions and concerns regarding my treatment. I have a call in to my Dr. right now as far as what we do now since this is not a covered procedure...am waiting for a call back Again thanks, you've been a great help! :)))
advertisement