Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF/Hard collar

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have another question about hard collars for those of you that had to wear one. Were you fitted before surgery or after? Did you wake up with it on in recovery? Sorry that's 2 questions.

I had my pre op testing at the hospital yesterday & I thought maybe they would have done it there but my nurse said they don't have anything to do with that.

I know...it's a silly little detail to be thinking about but with 11 days to go I'm kinda anxious & obsessing over everything. It's very helpful to read the posts on here to get an idea of what to expect as well as hearing how well some people are doing after surgery like mine.

Thank you & have a great day. Spine health rocks!

• Hi Joann.

I was never fitted for my hard collar before surgery and just woke up with one on afterwards. It was way too loose, so I was able to turn my head - they didn't notice this until the next day when the PT people came to see me.

For me, the hard collar was a comfort. Yes, a pain in the rear, but when you're straight out of surgery, it's nice to know you're protected. I also got very hot wearing the collar and I know other people here that had the same issue.

It's fine to ask questions, any questions. I had a lot of little nagging things that I wanted to know about too, so feel free to ask anything - you can even PM me if you don't want to post.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    with my on....
    I hated that stupid hard collar from day one until I no longer needed it. You do get used to it, but... Piece of advice, get a second collar.
    This way you can alternate from time to time. Since you have to wear it in the shower (thats a trick in itself) I would change collars.
    I am not sure what the collars look like now, but here is the old Philadelphia Collar

Not sure what the soft collar next to the hard collar is
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • They gave me both collars when I was in the hospital. I woke up with the hard collar after surgery. They wanted me in the hard collar when I was in the car, and I could use the soft collar as needed at home or out walking. I was in the hard collar in the car for 4-5 weeks, really didn't use the soft one more than 2, both my doctors are not too keen about them, other than when in the car.
  • Joann

I was never fitted for a collar I woke up in recovery and it was on. Mine was a Miami J collar. I wore it for about 7 weeks but I was able to take it off to shower. The thing I did learn here and i did at the hospital was asked for more pads. The outside of collar is plastic but inside are all pads that you can take out and change so you can wash them. Believe me after a couple of days you need to change those pads!!

Like Cath says its a pain but it feels reassuring to have it on straight out of surgery after a few weeks you'll get used to it!!
  • Thank you everyone for the replies. Libby, I remember someone saying something about those pads...I'll be sure to get some extra ones! The weather is warming up quickly here in FL so that collar is going to be hard to wear but I'll do whatever the doc says...I wanna get back to normal as quickly as possible. Maroseone..you're next surgery is on the same day as mine. Good luck. Hopefully it will be the last for you & the only one for me :D
  • I was fitted before surgery with an Aspen collar. They gave me two, so one was my "good" collar, the other was for the shower. (8)

I developed a little system for showering when I was still in the collar. I'd get in the shower, take the collar off then very carefully wash my hair and above my shoulders. Then I'd put the collar back on, and finish showering.