Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When will I feel normal again

eajosepheeajoseph Posts: 315
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Depression and Coping
I've had a rough year already. I had two thyroid surgerys within 6 days. A nodule on the thyroid that looked potentially problematic was found and the doctors all agreed that it should come out and that it was probably nothing. Initial frozen biopsy during surgery was benign on 12/31. Full pathology report on 1/2 found a 7 mm malignancy. Removed right lobe to be sure. It was ocmpletely benign.

I have 2 degenertive discs removed and fusions done from L4-S1 on 1/12. Had to do it then since that was the only time I would have family around to help. Plus I want it over. I have been suffering miserably with musce spasms. I'm on two meds for muscle spams, one for nerve spasms, and pain killers.

To finish treating the thyroid, I had to do an iodine restricted diet and take a radioactive pill that seeks tissue that is looking for iodine (thyroid only). I have to stay home for 4 days and have minimal contact with my husband, mother in law and kids. The day after I take the pill I got the flu. My son did too and hubby took him to the ped to figure out what was wrong (Flu A).

I call my PCP and explain my problem and get a RX for Tamiflu faxed in. The coughing spells were so painful. I cried after them. Get over that then my allergies act up (here comes spring) and I get a sinus infection.

I have no energy and pretty much require a nap every day. I can barely handle going and doing basic shopping. My legs are weak still, spasms like crazy, new pains shooting around in my hips and lower back.

I feel so bad for my husband since I can't be much of a wife to him. My kids are young and don't understand why mommy can't do things. Any suggestions on how to improve my energy (I've always been a coffee drinker)? When should my back and legs start to feel better or is this as good as it gets? I want to cry. I feel like I'll never be able to finish my degree as well; I'm on a term break right now.

Sorry for rambling so long. The post has been building. My husband is great and does so much around the house that I feel guilty.

• Looks like your plates all but overflowing! hang in there and a better day will come,coz nothing bad is forever!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Part answer to your subject line. It wil sneak up on you and with any luch one day you will notice it is not so bad.

Till you hit that day, you just have to take it one minute, hour, day at a time. Try to do as much as you can within you abilities and it should come to you.

It sounds like you have indeed had it rough. Think back and you will probably see it is allready a little better than at the worst.

Hope this helps.
  • I hope you're feeling better after all you went through so much. A multivitamin can help I believe if it's ok with your Dr. Be sure to get your thyroid tests especially after being sick. I think it takes awhile to heal from back surgery and it takes awhile to heal the nerves. You're a great Mom and wife even if you don't feel so. Always think positive and you're healing a little more each day. It wouldn't hurt to let the Surgeon know that you're having new pain. I wish you the best my friend. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • How long has it been since you've gone over your medications with your doctor?

One drug I see in your list of meds that is notorious for things such as

Muscle Pain
    Muscle Tremors

Is Cymbalta. I was on Cymbalta for a while and I was never so glad to get away from it. My primary reason to get away from it was horrific nightmares and urinary retention, however once it was gone I felt tremendously better and had far more energy than while taking it.

Wrambler is correct, one day you will be out doing something, will stop yourself and suddenly realize you are having just a "normal" day. It's exciting when that happens.

Hang in there.

• How long have you been back on your thyroid meds? As you know it takes quite awhile to regulate and 'feel normal' again.The crying and mental anguish that you are feeling/have been feeling would be normal-even if you weren't going through all of the scary stuff that you have been dealing with-just because of your lack of thyroid meds.I'm assuming that you had to quit taking your medication for the radiation therapy.I went through that a couple times and had to quit taking my meds 2 weeks prior to the therapy,then it takes FOREVER to get back into your system and become regulated again.

In the meantime your resistance would be down/low-which is probably why you got the flu..you may have gotten it anyway,but not as severe.I'm sure you know all of this stuff already,but I've had thyroid disease and been through the radiation therapy,scans,and many other things since 1987,so I wanted you to know that someone else is here that understands part of what you are dealing with.

You are understandably exhausted,tired,and fatigued.It's totally normal right now in your situation and you should not be feeling guilty.It will only add to your stress and symptoms.I DO understand your feelings of guilt-but they are just not going to be productive for you right now.I hope that you can try to let that go and know that this won't last forever-though it IS a slow process and sometimes seems like it's never going to end.

Maybe you could ask your Dr for a vitamin B-12 shot.The shots are absorbed at a rate of 98%,where the capsules form are only absorbed at 2%.Most times insurance won't pay for these shots and they are about $100.,but if you are not already getting them,one shot a month can really be beneficail to your health and overall energy levels.

I'm really interested in reading all about your thyroid stuff,and please know that you can throw any advise I give right out the window.In one ear out the other so to speak.It's just stuff that I've been through,but I know very well that what works for one might not be the answer for another.

Ha,love your signature line~"In the end, it's all okay. If it's not okay, it's not the end." Unknown

• I will see my PM on Tuesday. They put me on Cymbalta for nerve irritation. I see my Neuro and Endo in April (one week apart) and will have an x-ray and bloodwork done beforehand as well.

My mom had half her thyroid removed when I was 7 so I expect bloodwork and med adjustments possibly for the rest of my life. I'll ask about the B12 shot. I'm on a multi already. Just always afraid to add anything without asking the dr or pharmacist. Don't want to trigger some bad interactions.

To add to all of this, the company my DH works for was sold. Bonuses and severance packages to anyone who was not retained after the full conversion. We recently found out that his last day is 6/5 with a pretty decent amount of $$ to keep him around. So he'll be looking for a job (computer programmer) that will allow me to stay at his current job until the 5th. If there's no job, then we have to pay COBRA (for me especially) and pray until something comes our way. He already works 7 days a week, goes to college, and has taken over many of my household things.

I'm hoping to be more optimistic tomorrow. Thanks to all of you for your support. I'll keep you updated.
  • I just realized that I never updated my meds list. It's current for now. 8}
  • I agree that the thyroid surgery was a piece of cake compared to the back stuff. The hospital, nurses and dr were great for me too. The dr stopped by my room after the fusion to admire his skills. LOL Glad you had a good experience too anelsen15.

Right now, I'm starting to feel worse than pre-surgery in some ways. Tons of muscle spasms that I cannot get under control. Am on two meds for spasms and the TENS unit I was given last week made things worse. I don't know what to do. Fusion was necessary for my condition but right now I feel as if I'll never get off all my meds and be able to get through a day without horrible pain. Not sleeping well either. The PM upped my percocet RX to 7.5 (was 5) so I think I should be falling asleep more easily with my sensitivity to drowsiness side effects. Am starting to wonder if anxiety or depression could be starting to affect me as well.
  • I needed Ambien to sleep after my shoulder replacement surgery. I was on 7.5 percs too, they can keep some people from sleeping. It was indeed miserable! I called my OS and told them how miserable I was and they wrote me script for 5mg Ambien. That did not do it, I had to take 10mg to get to sleep, still only slept 4-5 hours max!
    Call a doctor, if your not sleeping it screws up everything!

Don't worry about the TENS, I can only use them in certain areas, they do nothing for my chronic pain!
  • I had my fusion surgery the end of June last year and had horrible muscle spasms, too. There was no let up from the pain. None of the meds I took helped the spasms at all, even the so-called muscle relaxers. When I went for a check up with my surgeon in Feb., I requested he send me to warm water physical therapy. After going twice a week for about 2 weeks, I FINALLY got relief from the spasms! Someone on SH had told me how wonderful it was, so I am very, very grateful to them. The water temp is about 92 degrees, so the muscles really relax. I can't tell you what a dramatic relief it was. You might ask your doc about it. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Is the warm water therapy something you will need to continue indefinitely? How long does the relief last?

I will definitely check into it. Spasms from calf to almost shoulder blade on one side constantly is driving me nuts. Plus I'm having more derve irritation pain lately. Shooting, burning, tingling, and numbness in my feet.

I hope, pray and fear that this is going to be for the rest of my life.
  • I'm having numbness and tingling in my feet again. And I can add that I feel as if fire is shooting out the bottom of my heel and instep. This is new. I had pain in my feet before but not this. And I can barely lie down on my left side; pain will start in my left hip and quickly run down the back of my thigh into the side of my shin and if I don't move soon enough my ankle will hurt. Low back pain is still present.

I've had enough already. I'm one week short of the 3 month mark. I feel that I will never get my life back and fulfill my dreams or even be able to alter my dreams. I can't sit, walk, or stand for long and am limited on how to get comfortable when laying down. If I sit for too long, it can take up to 5 minutes or more before I can get myself standing completely upright.

The weather is starting to get nice. My kids want to go to the park and mom can't handle it, especially alone. Here I go fighting back tears again. Sorry........I'm going to stop now before I have to go to another room so my kids don't see me crying.
  • this is a great place to get things off your chest and find people who really can relate.

Your body and mind have been through alot. Your body will naturally be very weak after cancer surgery and treatment let alone a major spine surgery. I mean MAJOR spine surgery. Your mind will drive you crazy if you don't give yourself the one thing so precious and that's time. Naturally it's very normal to get a little down especially as time passes and that's ok and situational.

3 months does seem like an eternity I know. I can't relate to the thyroid problems but for sure the spine. I was soooo weak after surgery and at about 10 weeks my doc finally let me in rehab. warm water PT was 1st then I "graduated" to land then finally to a home program- it took 10 months! Having a good knowledgable therapist is key, if it hurts don't do it. There were some strengthening/stretching/core workout exercises I am just never able to do, others that needed to be "altered" for me and alot I got down pat.

I had great communication w/the therapist and at 1st I was terrified to do anything as I was afraid I would hurt myself, so as I build up strength from the water(about 4-6 weeks) I did everything 1st w/her to make sure I was doing it right. If you get a therapist you aren't comfortable with please change they have plenty.

I hope you can get some better relief from the leg. Anything "new" I would call your doc and also discuss something else for the nerve pain if he/she feels that might be an option for you at this point.

Take Care
    P.S. I love your quote as well :)