Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op spinal fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all.
I had my lower spinal fusion 8 weeks ago. After years of agonising pain and months of heart an soul searching decissions I decided to proceed with this sometimes contoversal surgery. I now wonder if it was the right decission to have made. Apart from my loving wife i do feel very alone. To say that there will be pain after the op is an understatement. I have just started, after no one seems to know what to advise or tell me, physical therapy. Hopefuly this will start to eleviate some of the pain and set me on the long road to recovery. As mentioned before, apart from my wife who has to see and put up with the mood swings and pain i am going through, i dont think any one of the people i know , realise how much the pain and sometimes traumatic feelings are that i am going through. I get the feeling they think "well its been 8 weeks now, whats the problem nigel" or "He is so lazy, he dont do nothing". well believe me if i could i would. To any one reading this who is thinking of undergoing the surgery, think very carefull of what you are going to put yourself through.You are going to have a very serious and major operation and a very long period of recovery, to which alot of people you know will not understand. Dont get me wrong, i am glad i have had this done, i dont think there was any other option to take. But please be prepared to have a very long and difficult time ahead of you. This all sounds very negative but its fact, sometimes what people want to hear and sometimes not.This also sounds like i am feeling sorry for myself and that no one cares. Well there are people that care and do undertsand and will see you through it.just check out this forum to see.
If anyone can give me some advise on physio please do so.

• Just imagine how bad it all would be after 2 years and four, soon to be 5 surgeries later. People gave up on me. They know I am in pain and don't know how to help so they ignore me. They have also assumed I chose the wrong doctor or PT cause I should have been well by now since they know someone who had an "ingrown toenail surgery" (just kidding) and are already better. You gave great insight into what happens after many surgeries. All I can say is that unless you have gone through it yourself you never will understand how difficult it was. Some people are lucky and have no trouble but for the rest of us things remain difficult.
    Take your PT slow. Water therapy seems to work really well. You have a bit more time until you are fused so be careful not to do too much to fast.
    I certainly have gotten much closer to my best supporter, my husband, since he is always there for me.
    Good luck with recovery.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck with your recovery. =D> you are just feeling down and i want you to know i care!! :D drop by the forum anytime you are feeling blue. try the "Lighten and Brighten" forum for a laugh!! :))( Jenny :)
  • I had a 360 two level fusion on 9/25/08 & I am still in alot of pain & wonder what the outcome will be. The first 3 weeks after surgery I thought I would die in my sleep. I had a very rough time with it. My wife tells me that I would cuss the nurses & doctors out that came to see me. I even cussed at her twice. I do not remember any of this. I am still having a hard time with the medicine & mood swings. Now I still am on disabilty from work who layed me off 12/15 08. Nice of them!!

Now on top of all this my wife wants a divorce. I was served by the sheriff last thursday. This past sunday she has a change of heart that last for about two days. This started when her mom (who has meddled in our affairs all along) calls me up & points out all my flaws. That was fine then she says something that she does herself & I say to her that she needs to practice what she preaches. That set her off & she got nasty then hung up on me.

Wife says I should of not said a word to her & things would have been fine. I do not agree. This mother inlaw has done so much I can't even begin to tell you.

Now back to the subject. I feel the same exact way. all my friends never come around, relatives do not say much or come over either. I feel like I am all alone in this. The only person that I had was my best friend, my wife. Now thats gone also. I do hope you can find peace & some comfort. I do hope this surgery works for you & you are one of the lucky ones to become painfree. I have met some wonderful people here who have been a blessing to talk to. Take care & God bless you.

• hi
    thanks for replying. it is good to hear there are other people in the same situation as my self. i never realy know what to wright to replies, the post i mae was a spur of the moment thing to vent off some anger and frustration . i hope you are feeling a little better. saw my physio and she said it will be along time healing yet. so perhaps i am asking to much to soon. i dont know.