Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie from Wisconsin

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello,

My name is Joe. I'm from Janesville, WI. Early this year I found out I had an ependymoma in the fluid column in my c-spine.

I was having back pain for a little over a year before it was found, but thought nothing of it. I thought it was due to sitting in front of a computer for a living and not watching my posture. The pain was getting worse over time, and my Chiropractor was unable to help. I went to my doctor and he suggested physical therapy. This did not help, and some of the exercises made the pain worse. At the same time, I was starting to get a cold and when I would sneeze or cough, I would get "zingers" that felt like electrical shocks going down my arms. I told my doctor about this and he immediately ordered an MRI. This is when they found the tumor. I was referred to the Surgeon at my local hospital and he showed me the MRI pictures and explained what was going on and immediately referred me to EDITED hospital in Madison, WI.

I was scheduled for surgery within a couple of weeks of finding the tumor. My tumor was fully removed by Dr. EDITED at EDITED. The surgical team there did a great job of getting it out and putting me back together. I was in recovery for 4 days before I was moved to the rehab wing of EDITED hospital.

I was put under the care of Dr. EDITED for rehab, which I was doing inpatient for almost 2 weeks and continue to do outpatient therapy 2-3 times a week now.

I am coming along pretty well. The pain is gone for the most part. I am still having problems with balance and strength of certain parts of my body. I am walking on my own for the most part, and only use my cane when going for long distances or going somewhere crowded. I am still unable to drive due to my right leg having some odd issues compared to my left. It's hard for me to tell where my foot is without looking at it.

I look forward to reading more about my condition and offering any help I can to people that are or were in a similar position.

Standards agreement and posting rules.
Naming specific institution or doctor names is not permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.
Edited by Authority Member Cath111.
advertisement

Comments

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    My issues are lumbar related, but welcome to s.h.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • hi! welcome to the forum! :H i am happy to read you are having a successful recovery.. :D good luck! Jenny :)
  • That's good most of your pain is gone. What does Neuro say about the balance issues? I hope that resolves also. Thanks for sharing and take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Joe,
    I noticed your comment is old, so I'm not sure you will read this, but I run across very few others who have had an ependymoma. It is very rare (thankfully).

I was diagnosed w/ an ependymoma in July 2010. I too had experienced back pain and was seeing a chiropractor. Mine was severe lower back pain centered on the spine and shooting down my left leg. The chiropractor was not able to provide relief and recommended an MRI. I had an approx. 2-3 inch tumor from L2 to L4. My pain had become so severe I was having difficulty being in any other position than flat on my back. Since mine was so low, it was sitting on the nerves at the base of my spine causing pressure on the entire lower half of my body. I went under the knife exactly one week later on July 31.

I was blessed to have a complete removal of the tumor. I spent a week in the hospital in a neurosurgery ward. I went home to recover and never took physical therapy, although now I regret not requesting it. I am fully functional, but do have some nerve injury. I have numb sections of buttocks and a few other areas. I also suffer from some digestive issues and restless leg syndrome - both nerve injury-related.

I am glad to hear you had a successful surgery, Joe. I too am happy to be walking when I knew going into the surgery there was a chance that I would lose that ability. Now, 8 months post surgery, I have little or no back pain but suffer the other symptoms that make life more challenging.

It would be nice to hear from others who have suffered similar problems.
  • dear Kyla, i want to welcome you to the forum. :H i do hope your other symptoms disappear and you have a completely successful recovery. good luck and drop in anytime. Jenny :)
advertisement