Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Mngt App today.At last someone who listens !

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello Everyone,
I had my first Pain Management appointment today, and, after the Neuro saying the bone spurs aint causing the pain, numbness, pins and needles and weakness. And the G.P throwing drugs at me like...............off I went to see the Pain Management Team.........and what a difference.

He took a thorough history, asked loads of questions, and then did a complete physical exam. and asked me to do some head and neck movements that provoked the electric shocks, and made me almost fall over through loss of balance.

He explained, that when I saw the Neuro in Jan. My neurological signs were fine, BUT today some reflexes are absent. Further, he admitted to me that the Neuro probably only 'treated the MRI' and not the full picture. That the loss of balance, arm numbness, limited ROM in my neck preventing me from driving of functioning, WERE due to nerve irritaion AND, the muscles then lock up to protect me and support the head (which can weigh up to 4-5 Kilos !!)

It would seem that my Neuro signs have deteriorated since I saw the Neuro in January.

He said he would chase the EMG results I had done 7 weeks ago, chase the DEXA scan results. and then call me when he know more. (that doesn't happen in the UK normally !)

He was a little amazed that little progress had been made since I saw the Neuro in January.

Meantime, he was arrange for some PT to try and soften the muscles 'locked' in my neck and shoulders, and would see me in a few weeks to see how I was getting on. He also said that I was not to be afraid to ask for the meds to be upped IF the PT caused pain and/or weakness.

I left there feeling that 'AT LAST, somebody listens to ME, not the MRI or what 'should or shouldn't' be happening. And, more importantly, that I was once again moving along the road to some recovery...............AND that I;m not going nuts, or imagaining it all, HE understood and wanted to help.

So, fellow sufferers'/board members/bloggers, my real virtual friends in times of need........sometimes, just sometimes, there is a Doctor/Clinic who will understand !!

How cool is that ? SO do not give up, you are not going mad AND we are not distressing ourselves with wild imaagaining's ..seems I just needed to find the right 'ear'

As always, thankyou for all your individual support and messages. I will let you know how I progress

• How wonderful =D> Just think if you had listened to the Neuro instead of your body! I hope you get some pain relief soon. Don't overdo the PT at first, you will have to build up strength gradually. Take care, and let us know how you do.

• I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. THat's good to find a Dr who spells everything out for you and has a plan and to be there for you if you needed more meds. Awesome. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am so happy for you and jealous too! LOL! =))

I am glad that someone has finally heard your cries. This doctor must be great. Please keep us informed on what he says and does.

Maybe I need to see him!

Wish you the best of luck!
  • Thankyou for your note. Yes I was pleased and a tad amazed that this guy was so interested at least.

I only got to see him after many hours of research and calling various Health Care Trusts, so I was lucky.

I find it somewhat incredible, that a Neuro can dump you by saying 'not a candidate for surgery' the GP throws medication at you, and you sort of feel abandoned in the process.

I shall keep fingers crossed that he delivers, and update the boards as I go.

Thank all of you for replying, Katoo, Maggie, Charry. it is so good to hear from you all.

Just keep nagging the docs. And Maggie, I will make sure I take the PT sensibly.......if it hurts, I shall tell them !

• You are very much welcome! :)

I hope I am not rude by asking, but do you live in UK as in United Kingdom? :?
  • I'm glad to hear that you've finally found the help you've been needing for so long. It's so frustrating when docs just dismiss your symptoms when you KNOW they're very real. Good luck and I look forward to reading about your improvement. Yay!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    Just finding a doctor that is open and willing to work with you to identify what is wrong is such a relief. This doesnt change the pain, but emotionally, you feel better.
    I do find Pain Management doctors and Physiatrist to be the best in working with spinal patients. The look at the total picture and will start setting up various diagnostic tests to isolate the problem.
    Neurosurgeons are very important doctors, but sometimes their vision can be narrowed. They look at patients in terms of surgical procedures, not everything.
    So, good news does help
    Lets hope that with this new doctor and some treatment changes you can reduce your pain levels
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Of course it's not rude to ask,,,,,
    Yes I do live in the United Kingdom, the South of this little island in a place called West Sussex, and the sun is actually shining today..makes a nice change

• I need to come to UK so I can get some help! LOL! 8}
    I bet it is beautiful there. 8>