Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

waiting for doctor

maset22mmaset22 Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
Does any one, ever have to wait for two to four hours habitually to see your doctor, I do. And it frustrate me somewhat. I do have my reading materials, but now I notice I do not want to wait that long, specially while I am hurting. Just venting. Pain has made me very low key person. Dan

• Yep! I think we've all had problems waiting. When I first met with the surgeon I decided on I had to wait 2 hours! I thought they had forgotten me. I think it might be difficult for some docs to decide whether to press on or give each patient the time she or he deserves/demands. I don't know, but when you're hurting it does feel very dismissive and uncaring when your made to wait. Is there any way you can find a new Doctor? Hang in there...
  • I misspelled you're. I hate that.
  • I just sat in an office for 3 hours to see 2 docs for SSDI. Each doc spent a max of 5 minutes with me. The rest of the time was out in the waiting room. My husband came with me thank goodness. It is very frustrating and I am very sore because of the wait.
  • Especially with my back pain. The office better have comfy couches, flat screen tv, beverages and snack bar, and up to date magazines. Thankfully I don't wait too long with my current doctors unless it's a really hectic day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    Like all of you, I have had the same problems. After putting up for this for a long time, I decided to do something.
    One time when I was waiting, I said I wanted to talk to the office manager (not just the person up front).
    When the Office Manager came out, I just looked at my watch

and said, hmm, we are not 50 minutes past my appointment time.
    I know the doctor is busy, but so am I! Here is my beeper number, page me when I am next! I have to work for a living, so time is money!

The office manager was taken back by this and apologized to me and said, ok I understand, I will bump you to the next patient.

My reply Thank you that is very nice of you, however, I have already spent too much time here waiting and putting me next just means the people out there waiting have to wait that much longer, Thanks but no Thanks... I will call in to the doctor to leave a message, and please dont tell me the doctor is busy, we are all busy, so just give him the message. This way I will know for sure, if he is just avoiding returning my call or is that you gave it to him late.

Its amazing when you remain calm and use the right words how much that will buy you
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I always try to get the 200 or 215pm appt that's after the Drs lunch. Also first thing in the morning is good also. I get ticked off waitng because we get caught in rush hour and we have to go through the center of town to get home to the east side. People should also monitor their time with the Dr an appt is 15 minutes unless it's a physical or first time consult. You can also ask for more time when booking your appt. I hate that I have to wait so long for an Ortho or NeuroSurgeon appt. I could've been back to work by now if I had a decompression surgery Im's sure. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • 3-4 Hours? You have to be kidding! Unless there was a grave emergency, that is totally unacceptable. My patience, which has never been my strongpoint, would be totally evaporated ~X( I can't believe you all have the same experiences. If I have waited a half hour, I either talk to the receptionist to re-book, or leave. Maybe I'm lucky to live in a smaller area of the country. If this is big-city living I want no part of it. The longest I hav ever waited was in an ER, and that was only hour and half. Didn't know how lucky I am.

• i had to wait for 90 minutes and i complained to receptionist .they got me into another room and i waited another 30 minutes. dr came in talked for 5 minutes left then i heard him in another room. i talked to nurse and said my time is valuable and i won't wait any longer. don't bill me because i did not get help from dr. i left, then complained to head of clinic. i believe if one has to wait for over 15 minutes for a dr, then we should not have to pay for bill. our time is valuable, probably more valuable than a dr's. to me this waiting is the peak of arrogance on the dr's part. if you have to wait, leave, go to receptionist or nurse and say i want a new appt and lodge a complaint. if you had to wait for a long time to get appt, i don't know what i would do. if it was for refill on meds i would probably wait but complain to dr. if this is habitual, then i would find another dr
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • to see a surgeon or resident at clinic for a scheduled appointment is 3 1/4 hours, down side was at the end of this time I was told the surgeon had an emergency in the ER & wouldn't then be able to see me!!! OK I was less than cool about it LOL!! I had a journey of 30 miles either way to get to the hospital (60 mile round trip) and had waited 3 months for the appointment I kicked off about it & they got me in again the next week but then had to wait another 1 1/2 hours in a clinical waiting room with rock hard seats ! Not nice LOL
  • They have fixed the wait times for most of my waiting rooms. I seldom have to wait more than 15 minutes now.

My current wait is for my PM to write a letter to be submitted to insurance to get an approval for my permanent SCS. I asked why it would take a week to a week and a half and was told that they do not know why it takes the doctor that long, but it does. I also know his mother passed away 2 days into my SCS trial and she was buried the day the trial was over.

So, not wanting to upset the guy who has my SCS approval hanging on his every word, I wait... :W
  • for me, seems to be that doc has at least one more practice, so He books so many patience that the lobby is full, I also notice that the PA's does not seems to hang around, it reminds me of musical chairs. (No I am not amuse), I am looking to change practice. But in the mean time I worry about my med's lasting until I get a solution. Thanks to all for your support. I feel like we are a family, love you all. Dan
  • from my med check. 3 hours 10 minutes. I just take the time to read. learn and do something positive. Thanks to all. you all are great. Dan
  • I often wait 2-3 hours at my neurologists office and don't mind one bit. Why? Because I know that she gives every patient the level of care that they need regardless of the time it takes. She has, more than once, spent upwards of an hour and a half with me and I know that she has done it with ANY patient that requires it. I often soothe those new patients in the waiting room by telling them that and that they may get in faster with another doc but will never get the level of personal care that she gives.

I learned early that I can go back to my truck, recline the seat and take a nap while I'm waiting. The receptionist will call me when I'm next. It's a better way to spend the time rather than sitting in bad chairs.

At 45 minutes away this is my closest doc. My others are 3 1/2 hours drive from here. I don't mind waiting for the level of care that I get once I'm seen with them either. It makes for a long day but, when the day is done I know that my concerns have been addressed.

We have to come to some understanding that the medical community is overloaded and there simply arent't enough support staff to aid in the increasing need of the aging American population. I can't make myself more important than the patients that came in before me and have had to learn to be patient.... it was a long process LOL!

The view from here,
  • I waited over 2 hours to see my PM on Monday and as I was finally leaving (at 4:30pm), the last 3 patients scheduled were being bumped to the next available appointments.

I don't mind the waiting, if it's an appointment that ran long or an emergency that really needs attention, but what really bothers me is that he knows his actual time spent with each patient far exceeds the time allotted in his schedule. This is not rocket science - if you know you spend and average of 30 minutes with each patient, then don't schedule 4 patients per hour.

• Yes it's way too clinical with the waiting room. All the seats are hard! I went for a visit where I work in ER and we used to have leather couches. Now there's all plastic hard chairs connected together. It was a shame when patients waiting cut up the couches.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • these guys know what's going on. imho, the double book out of greed. more patients, more money. like i said before, there should be a law if you wait more than 15-20 minutes, then they should not charge you. i bet this would speed things up. unfortunately, pain dr's seem to be the worse ones. people go in and talk and talk and talk to the pain dr. if you have questions write them down. i am a believer that there are others that need to see the dr also and to monopolize his time is a disservice to the rest of us. if this is a first time visit then i can understand, but if you have seen this guy numerous times, you don't need to monopolize his time and if it is an emergency, go to emergency room. remember our time is valuable also
    just an opinion
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • The clinic and Pain doc and NP I have been seeing fore the past 2+ years have been OK as far as the wait time. I do set my appointments up as so as I get done with my visit and I try to get the 2-3pm time slot. Seem better during those hours, anyway their was 1 time I was waiting to see my NP and it was 20-30 min overdue and the reason was he was firing a patient that came in and apparently was higher than a kite. I noticed him as he came out and he was really ticked off and he started to get into it with the receptionist and she had the manager call the police. He did take off and I was not privey to what happened with this but that was the only time I can think of my appointment was late and for good reason. Jim
  • I was just wondering if any of you have thought of calling ahead and see if the doctor is running on time. That is the arrangement I have with my OS as he is always running late due to the amount of time he spends with each patient. His receptionist is always honest with me and tells me if I should show up later than my actual appointment. The part that really gets to me also is that the parking is extremely expensive and he does not validate.

Just an idea.

• At my doctor, if you don't sign in on time (which is defined as not less than 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment time) then your appointment is automatically canceled, whether he's running late or not. :O
  • That is harsh, Mine has a sign posted that if you arrive more then 20 minutes after your assigned appt time it MAY have to be rescheduled. I always thought that was nice of them.
  • I have been fortunate to not have to wait more than 20 minutes with my surgeon and PM. Hope it stays that way
  • My doc is really great when it comes to care and bedside manner, but definitely harsh in the policy department. Being late twice will get you dropped as a patient; showing up without your medications once gets you rescheduled, twice gets you the boot; failing to meet the goals for your plan of care for more than 2 months will get you the boot.. etc.
  • I had an appointment a while back with my orthopedist. My husband had to drive me there and we were running a little late. I called the office while we were on the way and told the receptionist that I would be about 5 minutes late. She told me that it was fine, that patients have a 15 minute window to get there before their appointment is cancelled. I thought she was so nice. We got there about 10 minutes later to find out that the doctor was running 2 hours behind. Would have been nice to know that we were rushing for nothing... :))(
  • question?
    are dr's late because they double book or are they late because some patients monopolize their time at the expense of others? I have been in rooms and i can hear some patients, thin walls, and they talk and talk. sometimes doctors are too polite and let them vent and talk. that's fine. i appreciate the time some drs take with their patients. but on the other hand the rest of us have to wait while other patients monopolize the dr's time. an appt should only take 15-20 minutes. most of us have been seen by the dr and we are not new to him. we should not have to take up so much time. go in, say how you are doing, and how is pain doing. get meds and out the door. if there are new problems then that is a different story. most of have to see our pain dr's 1-2 months at a time for our meds. then of course sometimes the dr will double book and that creates a log jam. so who is at fault, dr, patient, or both?
  • My first appt with my NS was the longest I ever had to wait and it was about 45 min.... now I get my pain sheet done and they get me right back. That is nice since he is 2 hours away from me. Sitting hours would kill me on top of the drive!
  • I've never had to wait very long at either of my doctor's office. The receptionist who sets the appointments always asks me a bunch of questions before setting it up so she will have a pretty good idea of whether to schedule me for a 15 minute appointment or a 1/2 hour. I let her know if I just have a few quick questions or if I think I will need some extra time.

Also, my PM doctor has an amazing waiting room with soft couches and a bunch of recliners - tons of pillows and soothing water features. You'd think a PM doctor would know to do stuff like that.
  • Another reason I hate a pain clinic, at least the one I was a patient of last year for a few months, it would take a whole morning or afternoon of your time up. Not to mention in my case it was all for nothing.
  • They always take me right in.If I have any waiting it's in my room where I have my choice of a chair or bed,magazines or television,and my wait has never been long enough to bother with the TV.I learned this only after my first couple of visits.During the second visit I was actually interested in w/e it was on the tv and a little dissappointed when the Dr came in so soon.Also I quit getting in the bed for the same reason-unless I'm getting an injection or something I just sit in the chair now.

Oh yeah-they offer coffee or water w/lemon at my PM too.

Sometimes I get to wondering when Drs DON'T run a little late..later in the day.I mean,things come up unexpectedly and take up more than the alloted time.It makes me wonder when Drs don't EVER run a bit behind...maybe they are trying to rush things or something.In my case I always get a morning appt.,so don't really expect much of a wait.
  • thanx pappa ron thats great advice. i can tell u have years experience of seeing dr's and going hrough the misery of it all. dr's never seem to have a shortage of patients and i think that they dont realy mind losing a few of us. they know we need them more than they need us, and they abuse the privalidge uf treating us, they really do. dr's always seem to be rushing out our appointments just as fast as they came in room. and they seem to get annoyed when we ask critical questions about our healthcare, i hate it when they have thier hand on the doorknob when im asking smart questions trying to advocate for my own healthcare. funny how u never have to wait for the bill tho huh!! :''(
  • I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes at my PM doc office for an appointment, my frustration is the wait to see the PM doc himself (as opposed to his PA). I have to schedule more than a month in advance to see him directly.
This discussion has been closed.