Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgical Stories - The Fun ones!

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lighten and Brighten
Try thinking about your surgeries and if there were incidents were really funny. I am sure that most people have one or two of these.

For starters:

During one of my surgeries, I could not urinate. The doctors and nurses tried all sorts of measures. None of them worked.
One doctor suggested that while I was sitting on the commode, that I should pour this extract of pepermint. that would help me go. Keep in mind, I just had surgery so my mind wasnt as smart as a tack. So there I am in the commode behind the curtains. The doctors asked how I was doing, but then all there was was loud screaming coming from me! Ok, like I said, I wasnt that sharp. What I did, was pour this extract directly on 'you know what' and it started to burn like hell!

Second one, it was during that same surgical time and in recovery. I was waking up at night look at these big
butterflies flying around an orange plant someone brought in. This was happening every night. Of course no one believed me. I asked my wife's sister's husband to help me out. I asked him to bring in some 'illegal' smokes.
Mind you this was back in the 70's and at that time smoking was permitted in certain parts of the hospital. So, here I was about 2:30am, last rounds by night shift nurses was done. I opened the window next to my bed and lit up. I used my sheets to 'hide' the smell. After a few tokes, somehow I dropped the funny cigarette. I started to smell what I thought was the bed sheet on fire. Panic hit me,
so the first thing I could think of was to call the nurses bell ( I didnt what the bed to catch on fire) Well, the nurse came in, got me up and checked my bed. Yep, sure enough there was a half smoked joint that was just starting to burn the sheets!
Needless to say I had to come up with some fancy stories quickly to get out of that one. The nurse just shook her head, got new sheets and cleaned things up. Then very calmly said, you can have this back when you leave!

(Ok, this was mid' 70's so I was just coming out of my college graduation days - somewhat of a rebel.

I am sure others have a lot of good stories to tell

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Right after my surgery I was taken to a recovery room and I had an elderly woman as my neighbor. This woman kept crapping her pants and I was getting so nauseous. The nurses would go in to clean her up and she would start yelling and crying saying what are you doing to me. I was slightly out of it and I yelled over to her to quit sh!tting the bed and then they would leave you alone. I guess I called everyone I could think of on my cell phone to tell them that my neighbor keeps EDITED her pants and it smells really bad lol. Needless to say, they moved me to my own private room for the rest of my stay.