Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member - No pain prior to surgery but have now ?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

6 years ago i had an accident at the gym and at the time thought that i had strained a muscle in my neck, after a few weeks of pain, a heavy arm, tingling in the fingers, loss of sensation in the opposite leg i visited that physio and was sent straight to the hospital, MRI followed that showed a bulging disc at C6-7 which was pushing on the chord. The pain subsided and i was left with the loss of sensation in the leg. I was very active and was frightened of the prospects of the operation and so put it off until late last year when my other arm began to feel heavy.

I was referred back to the hospital, however by the time the appointment came through the pain had again subsided.

The surgeon decided that this was an indication that there was further movement and so an operation was arranged.

I had the operation last 10 days ago, a decompression, fusion and bone graft from the hip.

I was impressed by the fact that i had no pain in the neck or throat, ate that afternoon with no problems other than the discomfort of the bone graft from the hip. I was discharged 2 days later and felt fine, however 2 days later i felt some real discomfort on the shoulder blade, tingling on the fingers and am now finding it difficult to sleep even with the pain killers.

The surgeon ishappy with the result of the operation stating that the spinal chord was found to be bruised.

I have read a few threads relating to post op pain and am still hoping that this is due to being 'pulled about' during the procedure and so pressuming that the pain will decrease in time........... This is my hope anyway..!

I have an appoinment with the surgeon in 4 weeks but am waiting to hear back from them to see if this is the norm.

• Hi Jack. Kattoo is right - you're really too soon out of surgery to expect no pain. It sounds like you're having muscle spasms in your back - do you take any muscle relaxers? I still have to take them 5 months after my surgery along with the occasional pain med. It also sounds like your nerves are trying to recover.

That being said, I'm not a doctor so it might be worth a call to your surgeon to make sure, but I've felt the symptoms you're experiencing after surgery.

• Everytime im ready to throw in the white towel and have surgery I come on hear and get scared,

hope you feel better...my name is Jack also.