Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica, Back Pain, Ligament Issue????? Help!!!!!!

YojeeYYojee Posts: 3
I went up a steep hill in September last year (i used to jogg daily for 20-30min) after the uphill contest I started to experience lower back pain and pain on my left buttock and thigh area when I stretch. I only fell the pain when i stretch on the left side say to touch my toes or when i do a hamstring stretch on the left side.

I have since stopped working out (from September last year) any idea what i can do to get better. I really miss my work outs, and just being normal again.

I do not feel the pain when carrying out normal activity or anything. Sitting, walking etc. This pain only comes when I am stretching the left leg (say hamstring stretch, touching toes or while laying on my back, I raise the left leg and cross it over the right or when I make long strides while walking up hill and or bend to touch my toe). The back pain has since reduced significantly- almost all gone, except for when i sit for long hours. My job requires i sit at the computer for long hours. But i often get up and stretch.

I'm 30 yrs, 5'11 weigh 77kgs and never had any history of injuries. Used to play tennis and work out often-mainly jogging.

The pain is mainly located around my left butt near my hips, and is at its most when I stretch to touch my toe or try to heel walk.

Different doctors have told me different things from sciatica, to muscular or ligament issues.

Please Help.

• From my experience, I have sciatica caused by a bulging disc. I used to do yoga and bending forward and touching my toes caused pain along my buttock. If you have a bulging disc, any kind of bending at the waist can cause pain. Have you had a MRI?
  • I have had 14 back surgeries and have probably handled as many spines as any human in the world today, well in excess of 15,000 (no kidding!), for my doctoral research.

So, I am no stranger to the kind of pain you are describing, from the perspective of a researcher and a patient. It sounds like radiculopathy (sciatica). Unfortunately, sciatica is not a diagnosis, it's a symptom. However, given your age and previous activity level, I would be real surprised if it was anything major. Yet, it might be a good idea to have it checked out since it's been going on for a while now.

There are several very good programs out there for just your sort of problem and I have written about the problem and published the articles at EzineArticles under my "expert" name, John Zajaros. Additionally, I have several resources on my blog but can't give you a link due to the rules here. Perhaps email would work?

Whatever you do, when it gets bad, don't use heat! I hear so many "ijits" recommending heat and it's the last thing to do when you have an inflammation or swelling. An ice-compression brace and other "bad back strategies" work wonders for me! Again, my articles are another resource.

Sorry to be vague but I don't want to get bounced out on my ear when I think I can help people here. Let me know if the answer helps!

John Zajaros
  • Ask your Dr for an MRI. I had to ask for one after 3 months working through the pain and finally collapsed and have been off work for over a year following conservative treatments. I'm on muscle relaxer and lyrica for sciatica from the herniated disc and anular tear. Try this page. www.chirogeek.com I hope you get a referral to a Ortho and an MRI. Without the proper imaging it's only speculation for all. Take care and keep us posted. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank you all i will go have that MRI, after 3 doctors and three different verdicts. Why not? Thank you all again.