Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, my name is Cindy and I am new to the forum. I recently (Mon. 3/23) had khypholasty done on my L4 vertebrae for a fracture I sustained in June of 2008 on a rollercoaster. The pain was manageable so the doctor suggested I go the conservative route and see if it would heal on its own. I see an orthopaedic spine surgeon who did the kyphoplasty. He said it takes a good 6 months for the pain to go away. When it didn't he did another MRI and bone scan and found the vertebrae to be inflamed and suggested having the kyphoplasty done. After the surgery he said it went extremely well and was able to pack a lot of bone cement in there. I guess my question is am I supposed to be pain free (which I'm not), or am I just feeling the pain from the surgery? I'm 52 years old and he told me b/4 the surgery that there is an 80% chance that I would no longer have any pain. So, I'm hoping that each day will get better. Thank you

• Hey Cindy! Welcome to our little community.

Although I have never had this procedure done, my mother has - this was October, 2008. She is not in the best of health to begin with and she is in her 70's, not very active, etc. In her case, this procedure did what it was supposed to do - fill in the fracture - but she still suffers pain because of her OTHER medical problems.

To begin with - you just had your procedure done this week. I'd imagine it's still early to tell whether you will be completely pain free. 80% - that's pretty awesome! Have you seen your doctor since the procedure? If not, I would jot down a bunch of questions that come to mind and bring it with you to your follow up visit. Don't be embarassed to do that. Doctors like it when their patients are informed and involved in their care.

Be patient, and listen to your body when it tells you to stop - or if it tells you "we did too much yesterday!" Even though you can't see where you had the kyphoplasty done, it's there. Just like any other "broken" bone - it's going to take some time.

Again, welcome aboard, Cindy!

I am not a medical practitioner. Any comments I make are based on my own personal experience, common sense, and sense of humor. Only doctors are qualified to answer questions of a particular medical nature.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry i cannot help you with your answer but i do know we all heal at a different rate and time can often be the answer.. :D if you are feeling unsure, talk to your doctor!! :-C good luck as you go through the rest of your recovery! =D> Jenny :)
  • I hope you're going to feel better soon. But it still is early since your surgery. I hope you're on sufficient meds for pain relief. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I fell in my house. I have constantly had pain since the day I fell, 4/2/2011. I was diagnosed with a compression fracture in my T 12 vertebrae. ER sent me to an orthopaedic surgeon. May 20, I was operated on. Sep 24, I am still in pain, The surgeon refuses to put me on disability he told me I would be pain free after the surgery. I am on unemployment searching for a job and no one will hire me because I walk in with a cane and look like I am in pain. I have been off the vicoden and percosett since July. I have read other comments of people being in pain after surgery. The pain is mostly in my lumbar region and not where the surgery was done.
  • Sorry to hear you just had surgery and having pain in the lumbar region now. I hope you can see your Family Dr. for a follow up and any tests. My Family Dr. filled out all my forms for applying for disability and included all my Surgeon consults. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • This is so depressing to have. my husband had a nervous breakdown in Jan my frustration with him and both of his parents coming down sick last year probably attibuted to my falling because I was not watching the floor and fell on something I would have surely seen if I was not going through all this stress. I have numbless on my left foot and my back hurts from T12 to my tail bone 24/7. I am not used to constant pain and this really is depressing me.
  • モンクレールといえば、 モンクレール アウトレットヨーロッパのセレブから愛され続けている世界最高級の モンクレール レディースレディースダウンウェアブランドです。 モンクレール サイズ 1968年のグルノーブルオリンピックでは、 モンクレール 通販サイズフランスナショナルチームの公式ウェアとなり、 リーボック シューズ プレミアムダウンウェア モンクレールの地位を確かなものにし世界中に知れ渡ることとなりました。 モンクレール アウトレットはもともとアルピニストの装備 モンクレール レディースを手掛ける企業でしたから、 ジャケモンクレール レディー使用した高品質のダウンウェアはプロ。 モンクレール メンズ メンズダウンウェアというといかにも暖かいけれどいかにもアウトドアみないたテイストが多い中、 モンクレール ダウンはすごくファッショナブルで。 モンクレール アウトレットしかもそこらのコートなんかよりも軽くて暖かい モンクレール サイズサイズ。ストリートファンッションシーンでは欠かす事の出来なくなった.
  • バーバリー サングラス」は、1856年創業の、イギリスを代表するファッションブランド。
    創業者であるトーマス・バーバリー(Thomas Burberry)は、1835年イギリス・サリー州ブロッカムグリーンで誕生しました。 1924年有名な" バーバリー バッグ・チェック"が誕生。コートの裏地としてデザインされたのが起源で、いつの時代にも定番の柄として愛されています。人気の一流ブランド特集の第6弾は、 「バーバリー」のバッグ・財布などいろいろ御紹介します! バーバリー ベルト ( Burberry)は、 バーバリー マフラーブラックレーベル1856年にロンドンのベイジングストークにてトーマス・ バーバリー 財布が開業した洋服店で生まれたファッションブランドです。 バーバリー コートはジョージ五世からコート・ジャケット部門のロイヤルワラントを受け、コーチ バッグ英国王室で愛され続けることになります。 バーバリー英国王室から授与されたものです バーバリー コート.