Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Six days post op 360 lumbar fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had surgery on Monday. Took almost four hours, went home Tuesday at 11 a.m. Drive home hour and a half was ok, got gorked out on a lot of pain meds. Dilaudid made me virtually pain-free in the hospital. :D @) At home, glad I have hospital bed, riser toilet and my husband who is helping me with everything. It hurts, but I have had worse backaches - honest to God. My abdominal incision hardly hurts at all, but my have given myself a hernia with rolling. Dr. told us my back was "trashed" and it was a good thing I had this done. Back is very swollen and using an iceing device they gave us to try to keep the swelling down. I can tell it is going to hurt for awhile. Odd thing is, that awful can't sleep backache pain is gone - just a different kind of pain now. Try not to be scared. Get a good surgeon and good support for postop. Thanks to Pika :X for reassuring me and getting me to plod forward. I am glad I did it and that it is over with. Dr. Peter Ullrich in Neenah WI is the shiznit - if you are close, get an opinion from this guy and his team. Will try to write more later. Just thought I would check in. I know I have a long road ahead of me, but I am glad that the worst part is over and I can now focus on healing and getting back out on the hiking trails.

• Wow, girl glad your doing OK.. I know it hurts. That I know. I'm surprised that you were only in hosp. for one day. My gosh they kept me for 5 days! Did you have the Dynesys system put in?
    Anyway I hope all goes well. It is a slow recovery for me. Been 24 days & I'm still moving very slow. Doc. won't let me start physical therapy until the 3 month mark. :(

Good luck to you.
  • Yeah, that is unbelievable, but standard for this particular doc. He would have let me stay longer and looking back I kinda wish I would have stayed for the extra day. The dilaudid worked so well, it was a wonder drug for me. They had me up standing only 3 hours after surgery next to my bed. The most painful part right now for me is this odd feeling of pressure or pulling in my hips and the swelling in my back. Even my robe touching my back hurts there. I am glad I kept up the laxatives and I would really recommend that to anyone with this coming up. The first couple of times having a BM hurts - it feels like it rubs right across where they did the surgery (well, it probably does). I did not have the Dyneses system, had the Titan spine at two levels with posterior fixation and hardware. Can't wait to see my x-rays. Back to the couch... talk more tomorrow.
  • 2 level, 360 and 1 day in the hospital. Wow. My doc says 5 days, I say 3. We'll see who "wins" this one.... Congratulations on making it through. I hope you have continued success.
  • That's great your home alright after your surgery. I hope you're recovery continues to go well and you're not having too much pain meanwhile. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Well it's over and the fun begins. I just knew you would be in great hands and happy to have it done. I was also swollen and the front incision never bothered me at all. I was waiting to see if you had posted but I have been working nights so I have been away till today. I am just so excited for you! And yes, that darn backache is gone, good for you and I won't say I told you so...OOPS! Take it easy and enjoy the pampering, you deserve it lady.
  • A little bit of a new development started last night with numbness in my foot and leg @) like presurgery. Top of my foot and leg. Doc gave me the hand out about parasympathetic nerve syndrome and being sure to catch any nerve pain/numbness early with nerve meds so I suppose I better call tomorrow. My back feels weird too, like a slab of beef hanging on the back - hard to explain. I guess that would be the swelling. Not necessarily painful, but weird feeling. I also get so tired so quick. Husband laughs at me, awake one minute, out the next =))

Sorry I did not e-mail ya personally Pika, tried to post here to cover more territory. Hope to talk to you next week maybe? Can't believe tomorrow will be a week already. Everybody says two weeks at least before you start to feel somewhat like yourself again. One down... =))
  • I'm glad to hear you're doing well. I was in the hospital for a week with my three-level, but they expected to do it all from the back and, after about seven hours of surgery, they had to close me up and wait four days to go in through the front. I'd lost too much blood and been on the table for too long for them to do it all in one day. I'm four months out and still have numbness and tingling in my legs and feet, but the lightning bolts of pain down my legs are gone, so I'm good with it all. I can only hope that things will continue to improve. All the best!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • They will probably give you Lyrica or generic but please call tomorrow. Some of that stuff is from the swelling and nerves being agitated. The slab of beef on your back..I see your still on meds.. hahaha. Girl, they really did so much work on you you will feel odd in different places. Keep up on the ice. My hips were so sore I wondered what they did to me. Write down all your concerns so you don't forget them when the nurse calls you back. Take Care of yourself and best wishes on a speedy recovery.
  • I know exactly what you mean about a slab of beef, i had the exact same feeling, and that is an excellent way of describing it!!

I also am having wicked problems with nerves in legs, especially the left one, but it is generally getting a little easier i think, even though it has kept me awake alot the last two nights

I had a tlif fusion of L5 S1 and a decompression there and L4 L5 with a coflex spacer

I have no restrictions from my surgeon, but my pt said you dont wanna be bending down or lifting anything, so im imposing the blt thing on myself. i am just over 3 weeks post fusion surgery.

The slab of beef thing, i think it was swelling, cos it is shrinking...i thought of it as a portion of my back weighing more than the rest, i now just feel as if my back and movement is blocked (which it probably is!! screws, rods, spacers etc lol)

Im probably doind too much though, and i havent taken so much as a paracetamol in over a week, so i should expect pain i suppose, its just the legs, and the muscles in my lower back and through to my tummy, to sneeze is terrible, i have to hold on to something,and my legs give way and the muscles hurt like h@#@! does anyone else get this problem with coughing or sneezing?

Best of luck with continuing recovery
  • Shazza,

After I read Pika' comment and tired of suffering I called doc at 10 p.m. He prescribed steriods which hubby went to get right away, i had almost no feeling in my foot or leg. Within two hours, i walked out and told him, I can feel my leg! It was amazaing. It also took the edge off the pain and I slept like a baby last night. He told me that parasympathetic nerve pain can sometimes be prevented with 1000 mg vitamin c which i take every day and a shot can stop it as well as nerve meds. Any surgeries in the future can cause it to flare. Hopefully, this was just irritation since it went away with the steriods so quickly. If I were you, I would call your doc and mention this to him. Good luck and I hope you figure it out.
  • You have no idea how glad I am to see your past.. I will be having a 360 lumbar spinal fusion on Wednesday and I'm worried sick... It is so nice to see that the pain is not that horrible... Reading your post is really helping me feel better.. I am so happy you are feeling better and hope everything continues to go well for you... Wishing you a speedy recovery....
  • Hi. I'm glad to hear your success story so far. I am also from Wisconsin. (fdl) I had c5-6 discectomy last Nov. I also have lumbar issues, and am trying conservative treatments. Maybe if I get fed up with my group of Drs, I'll look yours up!! Here's to your speedy recovery,
  • today. Everything looks good so far! =D> =D> Got x-ray copy today, man - hard to believe all that stuff is in my back! :B He wants to have me walking up to 3-4 miles by the 6 week check up so I have some work to do. Staying on the steriods for a few more days to keep the inflammation down from the nerves. My feeling is back in my left leg but still have pins and needles. He is not too worried about that since it went pretty much away with the steriods. Will start PT in a few weeks but has me doing hamstring stretches now.

Good luck Angela - I will be thinking about you and saying a prayer for you for tomorrow. O:) It will be ok, really. Just have a positive attitude and faith in your doc. Amy, I am sure you would like Dr. Ullrich. I am very happy with him so far, I just wish he was not so far away. Time for nappy, been a long day today. I) I)