Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can your chair make a difference?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have read a allot of postings on here about how a job where you sit allot can contribute to the amount of pain and increase in pain throughout the day.

I have a job where I sit in my office at a computer for 12 hours at a time. Throughout the day, I have to go to meetings and coordinate with other offices but unfortunately I spend much of the 12 hours in a chair.

After my 3 level fusion, my wife bought me a recliner that I spent the next 6 months sitting, eating and sleeping in. This chair could do everything but shower me. 12 months post surgery, I didn't ever want to see that chair again because it held the horrible memories of my surgery, so I had my wife sell it.

So I understand that the right chair can make a world of difference in helping with your pain level. I was wondering if anyone has purchased a chair for work that has helped with their back and leg pain? Has anyone been able to get their insurance to cover all or part of a chair?

All comments are welcomed because by the end of each work day, my pain level is at its greatest and I know it is primarily because I have to sit for so long.

• Yes, a chair can make a huge difference, but also, it depends on how you sit in the chair and how you have it adjusted. If you do not pay attention and use good body mechanics, the best chair in the world cannot compensate for that.

You ought to make a point of getting up every hour and talking a short walk, or at least stretching, walking across your office and back. Is there any possibility you could lie flat for five or ten minutes over your lunch hour? Unloading your discs, even for only ten minutes can really be helpful.

I believe some insurance companies will cover the expense if your doctor will take the time to explain why it is necessary for you to have. I would certainly look into it.

My husband swears by his Aeron chair. He is also very picky about where he sits when we are away from home, almost always choosing a "straight back" chair rather than risking something over-stuffed and upholstered.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    but I seriously doubt there is any chair out there that would make a 8-12 hour day at the desk good.
    In the late 1980's, I participated with an ergonomics study with workstation environments. The whole bit from monitor height, use of the mouse, etc. One area that I keyed in was the proper chair. But that time frame I had 4 lumbar surgeries, so the company really wanted my input. I worked with a Physical Therapist, an Orthopedic doctor, a Furniture maker to come up with the correct chair. We put together this UGLY thing, at the cost of $2,750. It sort of became the forerunner of the newer chairs you see for workstations. Adjustable this, adjustable that,etc
    I used it for about 2 years and saw ZERO benefits from it.
    It was only after more years working with various ergonomic and medical teams that it became so evident, that the ONE SINGLE best thing for people working at a desk is to GET UP and MOVE every 45 minutes. Get up, stretch, do some walking for at least 10 minutes before sitting back down.
    Following that type of schedule made it possible for me to do those 8-12 hour days at the computer. And there were many days, when the time slipped by and I didnt get up and stayed at the desk for hours at a time. I did pay the price for doing that for the next couple of days.

Our moderator Bruce, found this neat little software clock that you can set an alarm. I have mine at 45 so I can get up. That is the BEST thing you can do, All the money you spend on a chair will not do better than that. But it still helps to have the proper chair. I found one that is cheap, I use my large exercise ball as a chair. It forces me into the proper posture. Give it a try.

Spine-Health has a section dealing with WELLNESS that does go into chairs, office environments, etc

Take a look at:
    Office Ergonomics
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • 4 years ago my husband bought me a recliner chair as well as my back problem i have a trapped scatic nerve in left leg since 2004 my recliner is lovely i can get my legs set lovely and comfy no strain on the scatic nerve and comfortable for my back with my heat pad could never go back to an ordenary arm chair
  • Hi, you two with recliners, could you give us the brands etc of these recliners? Sounds like one could help me. Thanks much in advance.
This discussion has been closed.