Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pre-op consultation question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
The hospital called me and scheduled a pre-op consultation with the anaesthesiologist. They said I should plan on being there for 2 hours. Does anyone know what they will be doing? That seems like a long time. I tried to google it but couldn't find too much. Thanks!

• At my pre op I met with the anesthesia doc last. First was the blood draw, then the EKG, then they weighed me, then asked a ton of questions about medical history and current meds. Anesthesia doc came in and listened to my heart and lungs, looked into my mouth, asked a few questions, patted me on the head (not really) and said he'd see me on the 6th. Don't stress about this, there is nothing to it.
  • when i went to my first pre-op i was stress out like a mother bleeper. i had to go see my surgeons nurse and get xrays and draw blood and all the usual stuff. Turned out that i was really stressed over nothing. I wouldn't worry to much about it, even though i know it's easier said then done.

• The pre-op stuff is just routine. Weight, blood pressure, temp, medical history, medications, etc. They may do a chest xray, they will take blood and do an ekg. They just want to make sure you're healthy enough for surgery.
    When I had mine it took about 2 hours, just because of all the different departments involved. One person did my weight, temp, and bp. A different person took my medical history. Then another person took my medical history again and asked me about all my medications. Someone else went over what I would need to do on the day of surgery. Another person took blood, and different person did the xray, and yet another person did the ekg. Its just a lot of poking and questions, a hassle but nothing to worry about. Good luck!
  • They did all that to me as well! I felt very popular for the time being! :))(

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • I went through all that crud also, no biggie. But, this would be a great time to talk to the anesthesiologist about nausea and make sure he/she will take care of that.

I didn't talk to mine in the pre-op testing, but right before my surgery she came in and told me all the things she was giving me which included about three anti-nausea medications as well as an anti-nausea patch that she put on my shoulder. As a result, I never had any nausea issues whatsoever.

• Thansk everyone!. I am not exactly nervous about the pre-op consult but just wondered what they were going to do during the 2 hours. I thought that seemed like a long time.