Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still in alot of pain 4 1/2 months after crush injury.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hello to all you good people on this site. I have talked to you before, at the beginning of my ordeal here and I got some good info from you. I am hoping to find some more help from you. My accident happened on November 18, 2008. I was on a stand up forklift when the brakes failed on me. I slammed into a wall and metal shelf. Needless to say I was crushed in between the forklift and the wall/metal shelf. I fractured my pelvic in 2 spots, broke some ribs and later on found out through a nerve conduction test that I had moderate radiculopothy/sciatica. I have been treating with an orthopedic from the beginning and just last week he discharged me from him as my fractures have healed. He has referred me to a neurologist, whom I see tomorrow.Since this is a work related injury I am terrified that the doctor workers comp is sending me to, is going to try to find any reason to say I don't need treatment. I just have heard horror stories from others, about doctors working in tandem with insurance companies. I am in real pain. I can only describe it as, it feels like I have been kicked in the buttocks, I genuinelly feel pain all the time, but there are time when, the only way to describe it is like being hit by lightning in my buttocks which travels all the way down to my foot via the back of my thigh and calf. I just don't want to be tripped up by this doctor tomorrow. I need to get fixed up. I need to know how to talk to this neurologist so that he know's I know what I'm talking about. Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help and for reading this post.

• Take at look at the information on this page:

It is a basic primer on sciatica and should give you some basic information to help you talk with the neurologist.

You will see that general locations of pain will correspond to a particular lumbar nerve root. For example, if the patient has a compressed nerve root at S1, chances are he will feel pain running from the upper buttocks, right down the back of the leg. It then slightly wraps around and goes down the outer side of the calf, side of the foot and into the small toe area.

The pain may be described as an electrical zap, burning, stabbing,etc. Sometimes there is a feeling of water trickling down the leg. Sometimes there is a feeling of being numb.

I'm not sure why you would be referred to a neurologist rather than a neurosurgeon. A neurologist could run some tests, like the EMG, but will not be able to do much for your nerve pain.

Good luck tomorrow.

• Thanks for the info. I don't know why either. The whole thing stinks to me. I will look up the site you linked to. Take care.