Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can someone explain how does bone scan works?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
The doctor is ordering both bone scan and CT for my back. I had Ct before, but don't really know what is a bone scan, does it hurt? He mentioned something about radioactive ingredient??? That sounds scary. Will it go away on its own? Please, someone, tell me what to expect. Thx.

• a nuclear bone scan/ u r injected w/ radio isotopes so the scanner can pick up on bone growth or breaks and cracks no it does not hurt. you r given injection. u hang out 2 to 3 hrs pee before the test so your bladded doesnt block results .just lay back and machine wizzes around u. calm its no biggie.
  • i think you might feel a warm flash. but all is urinated out be cool email if prob i had 10 open surg. in 6 yrs
  • a bone scan is a medical diagnostic tool to ascertain the density of your bones .there are at least 2 ways of having one .the simple one involves you putting you heal in a device and they scan the area around your ankle .they tend to use this method in mobile test clinics .and if that comes back that you have a problem you will be sent for a full body scan .this is normally done in a hospital or mobile truck .all you have to do is lay down and a scanner moves over your body {like sigourney weaver in alien 3!}.both are painless .sometimes you get gadolinium injection .if you have a injection a few hours later you may feel a bit hot .but again this is normal. good luck
  • Thank you Hurtinone. Thank you Straker. So the radioactive material is ganolinium? I had that for CT, so yeah, it is no biggie. You wonder why they don't just say it and make me worried??? All I know is that after ganolinium, I can't take the metformin and advandia (for diabetes) for 2 days.

Great info. Now I don't feel so scared.

• I found it hard to do the standing part in one place for awhile as I can't stand too long without my cane! You need to drink a lot of water too after the injection and then wander through the hospital looking for a place to lay down. It's a good thing I worked there as I went and lay down on a lazyboy chair for 3 hours. Then went back up for the long standing time. I brought my pain meds because after standing so long it triggered lots of pain. Otherwise the test wasn't painful at all. Even the radioactive injection wasn't felt hardly..Then you can glow home. I mean go home. j/k Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks Charry, I like the "glow home" part. With the radioactive injection, who knows??? lol Thanks for the headsup. There is a place where they have double lazy chairs and sofas in the hospital in the main lobby. So I am set on that. I am waiting for insurance to approve. I don't know what this test is compared to a CT. Doesn't CT shows bone crack and the like? So, what's new one can get from this test?
This discussion has been closed.