Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Heating Pads

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Management
I have been going to an acupuncturist three times now and each time I come home (as instructed) apply a moist heating pad to lessen my pain and discomfort. I've seen many replies to acup. here and not many say that suffer afterwards. Well, each body is different. I have a very sensitive skin...guess because I'm 65 now and not getting any younger. By the way, I'm not a candidate for surgery..that's good and bad then again...sad cause I'm suffering daily (since last July) with low back pain and sciatic in both legs. Right leg mainly.
Any way, has anyone heard of a FAR infrared heating pad? I saw it advertised on the internet (not allowed to say the web site here). They're claiming that: Far-infrared waves are a safe form of light energy that heat objects by direct light conversion - a process that directly warms the object, not the surrounding air. Actually FIR heat is so safe that neonatal care units now use infrared heating systems to keep infants warm. AND deep penetrating infrared heat delivers more oxygen-rich blood to painful or injured areas speeding up your body's own natural healing process. 15-30 minutes a day is all it usually takes to feel the results. AND Last: The Mayo Clinic reports Far Infrared Heat delivers amazing health benefits on top of helping reduce your back pain.
My second question is: is there truth to this claim? I don't want to fork out $180 for something that isn't true. I'm going to do more research on that product..but just thought I'd ask if anyone has one or knows of someone?

thanks, Cleverlee

• I haven't heard of heating pads, but my mom used to have an infra red lamp. I don't know they do the same thing, but I pressumed so. Infra red lamps did help us throughout my growing up, from a simple strain to a broken bone. Somehow, it did reduce swelling and inflammation. After 20 to 30 minutes on it, I felt much better. Now that you mention it, I need to look up the internet to get one. Thx.
  • Don't forget that while we can not swap urls and such on the forum you and cleverlee can swap the info through PMs.
    Maybe she can send you the info that way and you can give your input.

I have worked in mechanic/auto shops for many years in the past, quite a few of them have used gas fired infrared heaters and they work quite well. I also used the spotlamp type electric bulbs in my home shop to heat body panels when trying to do body work in too cool a shop. The IR lamps are available quite inexpensively at most stores that sell a good selction of lamps etc.

While they will warm you up, I'm not sure how pads based on the IR design would do as a heating pad type device. Be quite interested to hear from anyone who has tried them or does try them in the future!