Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DENIED!

hopeless-in-mnhhopeless-in-mn Posts: 206
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in Matters of the Heart
OK, PUTTING THIS HERE, BECAUSE THIS POST IS GOING TO BE LONG, AND COVER ALOT OF STUFF.....

To recap for those who do not know me, I am 38, single mom to 4 wonderful kids. I have had 3 prior laminectomies/decompressions in the lumbar and one in the thorasic area. plus one revision for infection.

My journey with back pain started back in 2000?...just normal wear and tear from job, kids, housework, the typical do it all myself and don't ask for help attitude. At this time, my weight was NOT an issue! ( I have always been medically obese...around 260 pounds/5'8")oh yeah....and a sneeze!.....that's what started all of this...A SNEEZE!!!!

My only health concerns (other than the pain) are menstral migraines (thanks mom) and borderline high cholesteral...due in part from the back pain as i cannot exersize/move enough to burn the fats! In other words, I have no other medical conditions associated with the chronic medically obese patient. Heck I smoked for 20+ years (quit now!) and have had no heart/lung issues either despite family disposition for it!

Anyway...since last onset of pain in june of 2007, I have gotten the run around of steroid pack, injections, more pain, not bad enough to do anything, more depression, more pain, less movement, another steroid pack...more meds with weight gain side effects, more depression, less movement due to more pain, and more run around from doctors...all of this equalled a ballooning of weight gain of i'm ashamed to admit 110 pounds.

Now when I go to the ER for a pain flare, I'm not taken seriously...if admitted to hospital for pain control...every doctor that entered tried to convince me to have gastric bypass surgery. Matter of fact, most surgeons and specialty docs have said the same thing...do the surgery. And then in their reports, make me look like I'm in denial about my weight, just because i thenk there must be another solution to the weight loss.
......and there was.....but I'll come back to that later.

In reguards to the gastric bypass surgery...IT IS MENTIONED 4 TIMES IN MY SSDI/SSI DECISION,....3 TIMES IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH!!!!

My decision not to have a life threatning/lifechanging surgery just to appease or prove a point to the medical community should not play a role as to whether or not I am disabled!...I am otherwise healthy...shrinking my stomach to the size of an egg and restricting my nutrients at this point I believe would do me nutritionally more harm than good when there is another alternative available!

The judge picked and pulled what she wanted out of my file to make me look like a fat, lazy, woman who was exaggerating her symptoms to get attention!...If that was the case, then why am I sitting here alone? Afraid now to go to the doctor for fear that I won't be believed. NOt wanting to put my children through the pain of losing me, but not wanting to continue like this either...desperate for something to change!!!

At the hearing the judge said that there were 1000 of like sorter type jobs that i can do...this is based off of older medical reports...she also said that there were NO JOBS THAT I COULD DO IF I HAD TO CALL IN SICK TO MORE THAN 2 TIMES PER MONTH DUE TO PAIN!

oh, and what is working for the weight?
...TOPOMAX...works for the nerve pain too...just not being pushed as much by the drug companies anymore i guess...

thanks for listening...

advertisement

Comments

• ...by the way...

I am willing to conceed to the fact that the extra weight that I carry around is NOT HELPING my back, but I don't believe that losing all of it will be the "MAGIC PILL" either.

As it is now, if you follow the diet threads, I am losing somewhat steadily 2 pounds a week (which is medically safe)
    with the topomax, and without much mobility!

(THHHHBBBBTTTTT!!!!! BARIATRIC SURGERY!!!!)
  • about the way you are being treated. I've had the gastric bypass 7 years ago and it's actually hurt my health even more than being overweight. I continue to have deficiencies in something every year. My joints have degenerated and dried out at record speed. I am quite a bit more active and I love not having to sit alot due to not being able to go-go-go, but now I can't go-go-go either due to all the joint pain and arthritis. I would not go back and undo the surgery, but it does have it's downsides. I was able to come off of blood pressure meds for several years, but now have had to start back taking them again. I still love being able to tie my shoes without losing my breath too! So there are upsides also. I weighed 311 at surgery time. If my joints would let me, I could run now whereas before I would have passed out trying to run. I could go on, but you know what I mean. Pros and cons to everything. It's a safe surgery, but it's a personal choice, not something the judge or anyone can push on you and say it would fix all your problems, becuase it could create a bunch of new ones. There's some school of thought that having the gastric bypass can make us more likely to have cancer, an auto-immune disorder, arthritis, and several other diseases.

I hope you continue your fight. Do you have a lawyer? If he/she isn't very good, find another one. I have made up my mind that I don't have to accept low grade health care or nasty people in my treatment options. If I have a bad experience, I don't go back there.

Good luck to you and I hope you find some resolution to your SS nightmare. With a gait and other physical problems, you really need a doctor that will totally 100% back you up, so find one and try again. My aunt finally got approved and she had to find the right doctor to help her, the others didn't want to get involved.

• for understanding...and I think that if I had mor health issues involved, I would be more open to the gastric bypass. but I don't. Blood pressure is ok (unless in alot of pain) which is also normal!
    funny thing is, I'm healthier than my doctor! family practice not surgeon. (one of the few docs that is ok with my decision)

thanks again!