Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Disc Degeneration

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Depression and Coping
I am new to this, but I thought I would get some feedback from people in the know. I was in a motorcycle accident 23 years ago that killed my husband, he broike his neck, I survived but with all sort of injuries, neck, teeth busted out of my head, head, lower back, ect. I never acknowledged these as I had to get on with life raising my daughter. 23 years later, after having been working in the trades as a welder and then getting laid off and becoming a Licsensed Massage Therapist, I can do neither from a constant numb, pain down my left arm. I went in for an exray and found I have bone spurs and CDD from C4 - C7. I am about to loose it!
24/7 pain! Can not find a job! Scared to death!
I was told to file for SSDI. Any feedback on chances of getting it? I am 51, on unemployment which is about to run out unless they pass another extension and single. No one to take care of me. I had a phone interview. I am waiting to get an MRI and I have to see a counslor cuz I am loosing it, seriously, can not stop crying!!! They put me on tylenol 600mg and a 30 day supply of vicosin, 5mg. Nothing seems to help.
Any advice is much appreciated!

• Welcome to the site. It's a great place. Sometimes just expressing yourself helps you to handle things better. You've had a tough go of it! Sounds like you are strong person in spite of everything. I know that with any small thing now (since I've had to have revision surgery due to my fusion cage moving around) sends me off into an anxiety attack.

The MRI may show a lot more that will substantiate your symptoms and you can decide how to proceed. The neck is one area where pain (at least to me) is more pronounced. Stress, tension, and headaches all add up with the pain making it more unbearable. I've had a couple of those crying episodes too. After the chronic low back pain, now my neck is acting up and I'm waiting to see another neurosurgeon and get a nerve study done.

Heating pad, tens unit, massage, hot tub, hot bath, hot showers all help a little. Getting a grip on your mental state and having a plan of action will help so much too. Hopefully the counselor will get you something for anxiety/depression?

On your SS, you're over 50, so that seems to be one of their criteria to make a little easier. You can't perform your job/career so that's another. They may suggest other jobs, but with the arm/hand pain, seems like nothing would work. If you choose to have surgery and get better, SS will stop your payments if they find out. They cannot make you have surgery to fix anything. But living in constant pain is not a way to live either.

Good luck and keep us posted. We are all in this together and all help each other deal with this stuff. HUGS!

• Get your paperwork in right away, because it takes forever. I had c3-c7 fused in august. I am still in my hardcollar most of the day and cant drive. this is my second fusion first one failed.. I was lucky to not wake up with a halo.
    I applied for ssd in november. last friday I was denied benefits. I have done the same work for all my life and I will be 51 on tuesday. I retained a lawyer now and hopefully she will win the case for me. but she said 90% of people are denied once, and a huge number the second time too. On the 3rd time you go before a judge and that is usually easier, because they can see you and your story.
    You may be different. I have not worked since august, and now to top it all off I might be looking at knee replacement. Good luck to you and I will keep you in my prayers.
    Im so sorry to hear of you tradegy. My husband and I ride and I worry alot about what if. I cant ride this year and was not able to last year, just one more thing I have had to give up with all of this.. Get some help it is out there, Cyndi
  • It took me 4 years to get on SSD. 2 years of getting paperwork together and finding a decent lawyer then being turned down. Another 2 years of going through it all over again and then a hearing in front of a judge and I was approved.

You must get your paperwork together! Find a good disability lawyer. It's going to take time so try & be patient and contact any/all creditors (managers, not the peeons that answer the phone) and explain the situation to them - try and get them to work with you.

Other people have been through this nightmare and can offer advice for particular situations so keep posting about things as they come up.
  • I am also in the SSD pile of paperwork and wait. I'll make a suggestion, if you do the on-line application, be sure that once it is submitted, you follow up and call for an appointment with a case worker. I filed in February on line, got my confirmation number, waited until the end of March, called to check with disability determination services. "No we don't have any record of it, you need to call social security" Back on the phone to the local SS office. "The case worker has it on her desk, I'll leave a message" Drove to the office and dropped off medical records so they didn't have to request them. "Thank you, we'll be sure they get them". Called DDS again last week, again, we don't have any record. Call back to social security, can't get thru. Call the 800 #, finally get a real person to talk to, "You have not called for you appointment for an interview". No where on the on line application does it tell you that you have to set up an appointment. So now I'm another 3 weeks delayed, with an interview set for May 11. At this interview I intend to have another complete copy of my medical records in hand just to head off the "Well we can't find you paperwork" answer. By this time I'll have been back to my NS an hopefully have the lower back diagnosis on top of the c-spine problem. Don't let the red tape and run around beat you.