Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

showing signs of fusion?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi. I just had an appointment with my NS today and I'm a little confused... I went in a few days ago because I was doing well with recovery from a L5-S1, L4 fusion until about a month ago when my nerve and back pain became worse. He thought one of the screws may have been touching my nerve root. After looking over my CT scan everything looks to be in place, but my fusion has not yet taken.
He did see "signs of fusion" and has put me on calcium pills and said I should wear my bone stimulater for 4 hours a day. He also said it's a low percentage of people who do not fuse within the first 3-6 months... Have any of you fused after the 3- 6 month period??? Right now I am at 7 months after my surgery, and I'm 33 years old, living in Singapore. Thanks for any advice or stories!

• Showing signs at 3 months is good. At the xray, you probably can see some white fuzziness at the fusion. Fusion usually takes 9 to 12 months to completely fused - that's how slow a bone grow and fuse, so be patient. In the mean time, do a lot of short walkings. I know Singapore is hot and humid, walk in the evenings, in the open, it will do you good. It will also help stretch out any scar tissues developed. Stay with the no BLT 'diet', that is no bending, no lifting and no twisting. Also, this is hard but do try to stay out of very cold air conditioning, it will make your back more ache than you want to. Wishing you smooth recovery.

• Thank you so much for the pep talk! I have been so confused after my last appointment, I wasn't sure what to think and my Dr. wasn't clear about what I should and shouldn't be doing. This is very encouraging and is doing my mental recovery more good than you can know... thanks again.
  • Welcome Rebus, anytime. Keep us updated of your progress.
This discussion has been closed.