Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C6-7 fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm scheduled for C6-7 fusion.It all started 1-3-09,the pain is gone,but i have discomfort in upper back and partial abductor paralysis in left arm.Pt and traction has helped,but isn't solving the paralysis.I'm 43 and in good shape,I don't want to do this.Thanks,Ken

• Hi Ken,

Welcome to spine-health. I take it you were injured. How were you injured? Surgery is a very personal decision and only you can make that choice. Have you tried any other types of conservative treatment such as injections. Have you discussed your concerns and fears with the surgeon about having surgery and what other options you have. What will happen if you don't have surgery? Have you tried myofascial message to see if that will help the shoulder as well. I always urge members to try conservative treatments first and use surgery as a last resort. I have seen so many members come and leave using conservative treatment. They leave as they are out and busy with normal day living. If you decide on surgery i would recommend a second opinion, if that is a option for you. Welcome to spine-health and look forward to reading more of your post. Keep us updated on how you do and your decisions. The neck forum has many members going through the same things as yourself.
  • Thanks,I was screwing around with my wife and my left side collapsed.It was tight for about a week before that.I tried Pt for A month and it helped alittle.I couldn't sit up for about 10days when it first happened.The pain was excruciating.The Mri was finally taken about two months after it first happened and i found the problem before the doctor did when he hung it up.It's been three months now and i still can't lift anything with the left arm unless it tucked next to my side without it bothering me.The doctor showed me on the MRI that the disc is herniated and where the shaded part on the branched out nerve is the disc pinching it.This doctor has an awesome reputation and i found out by accident that he did the same to good friend who never told me.He is totally happy with his.Please respond,Ken
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. have you gotten a second opinion? the more information you have, the better! good luck as you face your upcoming procedure. :D Jenny :)
  • Hello everyone, I'm new here and very happy to have found this also. I just wanted to add that my son in law also broke his neck in Dec of 08, C6&C7. He had a neck fusion done at that time with screws inserted.Wednesday April 8,09 he had his cervical collar removed. His neck did not fuse correctly, you could still see the fracture where it didn't take ,but the doc left the collar off and said he was young (29) he would continue to heal, if NOT they would do the surgery again? He was in severe pain about a month ago and ended up going to the er for back spasms. He said he felt like electric shocks going through his neck and top of his head. He was given six weeks of back therapy, and is now starting six weeks of neck therapy. Has anyone heard of a fusion not working and what was done? he is also using a bone stimulator($5,000.00 cost) which was suppose to help the neck fuse quicker and has to use it for at least six months, he has been using it for about two so far. Any input would be appreciated. Right now he feels "good" but still very stiff to walk.He has been off of work since his accident in 08 and still off another six weeks. By the way, he was life flighted to the trauma center and now he has to appeal his insurance because they denied the claim for that saying they didn't feel it was life threatening for a broken neck. Just thought I would share that. Thanks for listening.
  • Hello.
    So glad to have found this forum. I've been reading all I can and don't feel so all alone.
    My NS told me to call him when the pain gets bad enough that I'm ready for a C-5,6,7 fusion. I also have bone spurs.
    Right now, I can tolerate my discomfort. I've had to make many changes in my life, according to what my neck and back tell me, on a day-to-day basis. I work three days a week, have three grandchildren, and keep limber by working out at Curves.
    I'm very scared about this surgery - even looked into the laser treatment hospital in the south, but will look in my own area for other options and other doctors' opinions.

Question: Has anyone had surgery to clean up the bone spurs and trim the disk(s) without having a fusion, and it has been a success? Why are the doctors so quick to resort to a fusion?

Thank you for sharing your stories. I look forward to more stories.