Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do you thank a really wonderful doctor?

optimistooptimist Posts: 546
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My pain has been continuing to progress and dictating my life more than ever; on top of that my insurance has been terminated (no, COBRA is not an option because the plan itself will no longer exist shortly). My PM doc did a two level rhizotomy on me today, and knowing how apprehensive I was (had a really tough time with one in 2006),I need to be back to work next week, and my overall desperation for relief he suggested to inject some steroids "while he was in there" because my pain always responds to steroid injection and it would reduce the pain from inflammation of the procedure quicker. He won't get paid (although he technically just did a two level facet block) for it by my insurance due to the "multiple procedure" rule, and I am just so "beyond words" grateful for him even suggesting it. Some doctors break each procedure down into as many individual procedures and make you space them apart so that they can be reimbursed more and some will even require on more anesthesia (general) than is needed so their surgery center can bill more (in all honesty I can't blame them because I know their overhead is much higher than your all imagine and most aren't reimbursed fairly to begin), but this is yet another example of my doctor's compassion and empathy; he is really looking out for the best interest of the patient in pain and taking care of him/her. I don't want to sound patronizing, but how do I express my sincere gratitude in a way that's not corny?

• I think it would be appropriate to send a nice thank you card with a little note thanking him for going above and beyond. I did this with the salesperson who sold me my truck last year. He was great and it was the best experience I ever had with a used car salesman. I went to have my oil changed and my car was out in the lobby where customers go to look at floor model cars.

I'm sure the doc would appreciate it. I'm sure it's nice to hear thank you's especially when they mostly hear complaints all day about how much people hurt and have trouble coping with their lives.

That is very thoughtful of you. I find it important to thank those that take that extra step to help others.
  • with a gift card to a restaurant. He loves to eat and I know he has plenty of money but I wrote a note of thanks and told him to enjoy a good dinner.
  • with of gift of some wondeful colonge. We have a very nice mens store in our town run by a guy friend of mine that has great taste, so I asked him to reccommend a nice one that isnt so average. It was Christmas time and my Dr really enjoyed it. And since he is divorced I knew I wouldnt be upsetting the Mrs! This Dr wrote a 6 page letter of appeal to the insurance co. Hes great!
  • I took cookies in to my Dr-lol-He was really surprised and said it made his day,and he even gave me a big hug-which of course made my day!

It's really hard to express our thank you to a Dr and to put it into words.I simply handed him the cookies and said that I hope enjoy these even a little bit as much as I enjoyed making them for you.I'm pretty sure he knew that meant that I was happy with the treatment he has been giving me.

I'm glad that you are getting compassionate care & I hope that you get some relief from your pain.Going back to work is sure to be somewhat stressful and you sure do deserve a break from the pain ☺
  • I love getting a heart-felt, sincere note of appreciation.
  • Nowadays we tend to hear more complaints than complements about doctors for various reasons, but I firmly believe that finding a good doctor is like gold, you'll never give it away. I had a wonderful PCP years back who stood up for me when others didn't and always had my best interest in mind. Even if it was an hour drive, I would keep going back instead of finding another closer to me. I have told him this, and also that I thought he was the best doctor ever. I knew I really made his day and reminded him of why he wanted to become a doctor initially. I think tokens of appreciation like cute coffee cups with the #1 Doc inscriptions are always nice, as well as thank you cards that can be displayed in the office. The doctor (and the staff) can always go for home baked goodies-you can never go wrong with those.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    your appreciation for your doctor is with a card and a thank you note. Way too often doctors hear the negatives , so when a patient goes out of their way to thank them, that means so much.
    Sometimes gifts can be awkward. A lot depends on how well you know your doctor.
    When I thanked one of my doctors, I knew they were really into wines and cheese. Since I've been associated with wines since I was in my early 20's, I put together a basket with two bottles of wine, two glasses, some really good Italian and French cheeses.
    Now, I could do that, because that doctor and I have been together (now, does that sound right?) for over 20 years and he did 4 of my surgeries.
    If you arent close to your doctor, I would go the thank you card route.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Doctors do like thank you cards, but I also got him a branded pen with his name engraved on it. Then I found out he is a collector of pens! So from then on, I always gave him pens. I think they do like things that are personalized.