Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Advice please

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the group and have joined to help my mum. My mother was involved in a car accident about 5 weeks ago, she was crushed in the door and the body of the car against a wall. She suffered, 7 broken ribs, bruised her lungs, Ruptured spleen, lacerations to a kidney and liver, a break to her pelvis 1 in the front and one in the back right opposite each other, a laceration to the ligament on her knee and the door frame of the car pin her shin between the door and the frame work of the car.

She is healing nice but is suffering with nerve pain in her foot, this impacted most of her left side. She is on 400ml of Nuerotin 3 times a day, 20mg of Oxycodone ER twice a day and 5-10mg Oxycodone quick release for break through pain. She is taking all these but the pain is so painful she is sitting here in tears and crying out in pain. I tried massage, heat treatments, cold treatments, and now we have resorted to apply bengay but nothing seems to be helping her. I wondered if you guys would have any ideas that could help her.

I hope I posted this right, and if I didn't please forgive me. Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks a very worried daughter

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Mel,
    Wow, your mom has been thru a lot. I'd let her Dr know that she most likely needs her meds adjusted as they are not doing the job. They need to be able to make her comfortable just make sure your mom doesn't "get behind" in taking them.
    You both take care,
  • to hear about your Mom's accident. That's aweful and so many different injuries Bless her heart.

Welcome to the boards you will find alot of support. We have several significant others here who can understand. In my case I am the patient and my family is fantastic like you.

Nerve pain is insane and very difficult to try and describe in my case it has no pattern, never the same from 1 day to the next and totally can make me cry at times also.

If your Mom has activity retrictions from the pelvis let me just say anything you're unsure of as far as positioning pls check w/her doc who has the restrictions ordered. I'm sure her back was checked when she came in as a trauma but sometimes upon a recheck they might find a herniation bothering the nerve and a simple surgery can releive this.

Other suggestions are to discuss meds with the doc.
    Neurontin total dose per day can be more than double than what is ordered now & usually tried before they try other meds used for nerve pain. I take Lyrica and frankly could not stand myself without it or walk. It does make you feel loopy at first but that does get better and it does have other side effects specifically swelling which thankfully I do not have.Its very expensive but really helps me. I took Neurontin before surgery and increased after surgery then changed.

Also depending on the cause posittioning helps me alot! Your Mom has the knee injury and the pelvis. There are alot of nerves around the pelvis and the pelvis is connected to the sacrum which is part of her back. Her foot?is it the entire foot or along the side w/some toes or all toes involved?

I find relief lying in fetal position on the opposite side of my left leg which is the leg that is affected. It gets all the stress off of my body to simmer the nerve pain. Any movement depending on what it is makes it insanely worse. For example if I sit I'm asking for it. The body mechanics of the pelvis are so complicated, try to help Mom with different positions that seem to not worsen it then stay still and see what happens. Some people use alot of pillows (I have a bunch) some to elevate my head, tuck my back, get my bum up and 1 in between my legs. It sounds ridiculous I know but it works. You can try a recliner which I've read works for some.

You might keep trying heat cold etc you never know but if your up at 3:30 in the morning I know she must be having what I call the lightening bolt burning. Please tell her she is not alone and we can relate if she just wants to vent or if you need to do so pls do. Also I think on the main pain you can search sciatica for threads on this only and hopefully find other suggestions.

Take care!!!!

• Hi Guys,

Thanks you soo much for replying, the pain is in her left foot, especially under the arch and the last three toes on her foot, the last two seem to have a lost sensation and the pain goes over the top of her foot too. Under the toes are also very painful.

I'm a hoslitic therapist by training and have tried everything I can think of Reflexology & oils don't even help..my bag of tricks is empty:0.

Unfortunately she finds the only position she can be in is flat of her back cause the ribs are still very tender, so she can't lay on her side and when she does the pain in the pelvis seems worse. She is so distressed right now I don't know where to start. I did contact the VNA today and they are coming on Monday morning and they suggested Lydacane patches, they are going to talk to her dr's. Have any of you tried those and if so were they any good?

Thanks for answering my post so quickly it definately helps talking to someone. She is so upset and she feels like she causing me more work, I tried to tell her that it okay but shes soo sad:( makes me want to cry.

Thanks for listen
  • ask the doctor to up her dose of oxycontin and oxynorm the max amount of oxycodone in any 24 hours is 400mg so she has a long way to go before she is at the top end of the dose.i take 320mg per day {a mix of both oxycontin and oxynorm} good luck
  • I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's pain. Definitely call her doctors. With the extent of her injuries, I can't see why they would deny her additional medications, or increased doses.

I tried lidocaine patches, they are a pretty good anesthetic. They didn't work for me, but I didn't have any acute injuries like your mother does, so it is definitely worth a try.

Muscle relaxers and anti-anxiety medications could also help, so ask about those too. The poor thing is probably scared out of her mind. Stress always makes the pain worse, mentally and physically so keep that in mind.

And sleep is incredibly important. Real, deep sleep can be so helpful. Is she sleeping? I always find that my pain is 10 times worse when I'm not sleeping well, so that's another thing to think about.

I hope she gets to feeling better soon, let us know how you're both doing.
  • is so diffuse...but defititely sounds dermatomal as well. Maybe taking the max oxycodone regularly (if not already) may help alleviate the "acute" pelvic pain. lying on my back increases the nerve pain, in my foot and below my knee, for me so if there's a way to prop her on her side to get off the pelvis it may get some nerve pain relief. I know I sound like a broken record but keep working w/the turn, some down pillows under her mid section may help the pelvis.

In my opinion the lidoderm patches are great for muscle pain. I tried to put them all along and on top of the nerve pain areas and not so much luck for me but it's worth a try, everyone is different.

take care of you too ;)

• I am so sorry to hear about your mum. She raised you well in that you are so caring to get online to help her with her pain releif. She must be so proud of you. There are many members on here that suffer from pain and do not get the support they should from their children, significant others etc.

When it comes to nerve pain, it's difficult to find the right blend of meds to help with the pain. I hope that your mother doesn't have permanent nerve damage. She may need to get a nerve test done just to see if something is pinching her nerves somewhere that they may have missed. I can't imagine the intense pain she must be in.

I am glad that you came here to look for answers or advice. Even if it may not be here spine that's the problem we still are here to support those who are in pain as we suffer this everyday.

My prayers are with her and I am so glad you are there to be by her side and help her out.
  • Sorry to hear about your mothers problems.

Is there a specific injury to her foot, or is the pain from the back area radiating into the foot?

My foot nerve pain is worse with cold so watch out for intense heat and cold in the nerve pain area.
    Heat can increase the swelling so if there is an injury in her foot area be aware of this.

My nerve pain is attributed to Double Crush Syndrome which means there was an injury to my back and it effects other areas which makes it hard to pinpoint where to try to apply treatments. If this is the case with your mother you may want to try a tens unit or a more powerfull muscle stimulator to block the pain. I have both but I cannot put the levels too high without increasing my pain so it is a delicate balancing act.

I also lay on a vibrating pad (the kind you use in a chair/car)several times a day to increase blood flow.

Try Lyrica, that worked a little for me and neurotin did nothing, so try alternate meds.

Be sure to check with your Dr before trying any of these comments.

Hope this helps.

• 20 mg of oxy twice a day is very little. i take 40mg 3-4 times a day plus fenatyl suckers for breakthrough pain. go to dr and ask for increase in oxy. if he says no, get someone else and before that tell the dr you don't appreciate him letting your mom suffer. she needs more meds and if you don't give them, you are respnsible for her pain. i would also write a letter complaining about lack of pain control to the head of the health dept of your state
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • You can try Lidoderm patches, but I understand that they only work for superficial muscle pain, not deep bone pain or nerve pain. But I'd try standing on my head to get rid of pain if I thought it would help.

If your mother is crying from pain, she needs to go to the emergency room if her doctor is not in the office or cannot see her immediately.

In addition to increasing her pain meds, she may benefit from muscle relaxers like Valium. When you have broken/injured body parts, the muscles contract trying to protect the area. Valium is a wonderful muscle relaxer and also makes me not care so much about the nerve pain. At night, I take Zanaflex so that I can sleep(it knocks me out, I know some people are able to take it during the day but I cannot.)

One more suggestion. Ask about a TENS unit. If you don't know what this is, it's a little machine about the size of a cell phone that has a few leads you put around the affected skin area and it gives vibrating type stimulation and can help with pain.

Above all, the poor woman needs more pain meds and I think(just my personal opinion) that in addition muscle relaxer like Valium and sleep meds could help.

Keep us updated on how she does!
  • I am so sorry to hear your Mom is in so much pain. I know how she feels. I agree with others....she needs to have her meds adjisted until they help her pain. I had a devil of a time getting my Doctor uping my pain meds but he did and it was such a help to me. No one should be suffering in pain. It can be treated and I would insist that her Doctor do something for her.
    Good luck to you finding help for your Mother.
    Am sending a hug to you both.
    Hugssssss >:D<
    Patsy W
This discussion has been closed.