Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laekage after a L5 S1 Discectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
=(( After i had the op i was up the next day walking by the nurse, the 2nd day i was dischargedthe nurse came every day to look at my scar the first few days everything ok. then my scar split open at the bottom and started to leak my was rushed back into hospital and told to stay in over night and swabs and blood tests taken then told to come home and ring back on monday for my results nurse still coming in every day and scar still leaking this is 12 days after op IS THIS RIGHT no tablets still leaking HELP HELP

• It's rough you're going through all this. I would ask to speak with your Surgeon. And ask if he'll be doing a ct to find out where the leak is? And ask for pain meds also at the same time. Because once the Surgeon leaves it's hard to track him down. I guess they're waiting to see if the fluid stops and also awaiting a report on the swab to see if there's infection. I hope it stops and there's no infection. Take care. Charry

PS I'm not a Dr and this is just speculation on my part. Only a Dr knows what's going on and can help you.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • just rang up not an infection so what is coming out of my scar??????????????????????
  • It could be drainage (probably looks like clear blood?)from the interior work that was done (a lot of muscle gets moved along with nerves).
    I had a PLIF at L5-S1 (the disc had calcified and the surgery went a little long) Monday morning. They put in a drain as part of the closing. My precondition before going home was that the drainage was down to nothing. I watched that bag like pot waiting to boil. First 12 hrs -250ml, next 12 hrs - 200ml
    next 12 hours <100ml. Final 12 hrs before release was <10ml. The pulled the drain and monitored for 6 hrs and sent me home.
    The entire time they also checked my bandage every few hours and there was never any sign of bleeding. My original outer bandage stayed on from Monday morn after the surgery till Friday noon when I took my first shower.After next shower I'm not supposed to need a bandage for the drain or the incision.
    So far so good.
  • i had a drain fitted which filled up quite well, then leak coming from my scar is like a bloody fluid with that helps
  • Actually I would think that a bag always filling is bad. Indicates to me that something is not sealed inside. That was why they wouldn't let me go until the bag stopped accumulating fluid. Are they keeping you on Anti-biotics? They kept me on AB drip as long as I had the drain.
  • They took the drain out after 12 hours because they said it had stopped but the drain hole in me is clear its my scar that has come open at the bottom and that is leaking now was clean for 3 days then strated noone seems to care NO Anti-Biotics
  • Is the area around the leakage swollen, pink, hot? if it is, call DR ASAP.
  • No antibiotics? Hmmmm....

If in doubt that you are not getting good medical care, I say, go to the ER. An infection NEEDS to be under control.

Good Luck and I hope you get better, quick!

• :))( After going back to the Hospital a few times i finally woke up in the night to discover my bed cover in puss and blood every time i stood up it poured out. I rang the hospital at 4.30am to tell me to come in at 11 am next day. By 9am i can't wait i was changing my dressing every 5 mins. i wrapped a towel round me and travel when i got there i was told I HAD AN INFECTION (which i had been telling them for 2 weeks) i was put on the EMEG OP List going to open me up again and clean it all out. After 4 days on the EMEG List starved 4 days running. i was took down to thearte for 4 hours came back and AT LAST Started on antibotics telling me my blood count was 210 (Normal 7-10). After 2 days the old poos came taken off anticbotics but no new ones after another blood teats shit we haven't started her on any more now after 4weeks since my first op on a antibotic called LINEZOLID which you can't eat certain foods and take certain tablets i am alllowed home only to be told i have to have weekly bllod counts and 2 times a week blood pressure. Well at least i am home (sorry forgot to say since my second op my foot has dropped and now have to wear a brace day and night)