Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Meds Not working Anymore

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Medications
Hi I am new here. I have been reading for some time. I have 2 her. disk l4 -l5. I have been on Percoset 10-325 5 per day and Avinza 60mg day for the past 6 months. These meds do not work anymore and my Dr is very open to what I want to try. What would be a good option? I have to go see him tommorow morning and I am looking for ideas of what my next step should be.

Thank you

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    There were a couple of things that were not in your post that would be helpful.
    - What if any conservative treatments have you been doing
    - What has your doctor recommended based on your MRI results
    - Has the pain been increasing?

Many times without doing anything, your body starts to adjust to different medications. Pain medication is no different. What helped you in the beginning may not be helping taking the edge of today.
    If you are in some type of physical therapy, the increased work can cause new temporary pain.

There are many many options including higher dosages, change of medications, etc....
    Your best path to take is discuss this with your doctor. Explain that the current medications you are taking no longer seem to be helping control your pain. Is there any other options? Treatments, etc??
    Let your doctor decide on the proper course of action
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Percoset didn't work for me, where hydrocodone did. Maybe try hydrocodone/Lortab 7.5/500 or if you need stronger there's the 10/650. I tried to break the 10's in half if I'm not having as much pain, more deep aching sometimes.

I have no experience with Avinza...is that a muscle relaxer or a nerve pain drug. For muscle relaxer, I've had Robaxin, Flexeril, Soma, and now on chlorzoxazone. They are all pretty strong and work good for spasms and locked down muscles. For nerve pain, I've tried Neurontin and Lyrica, but they really haven't done anything for me.

Others will chime in on their experiences too and that will help you. I never knew as much about drugs as I do now after two years of chronic pain and two surgeries. I hope that I can eventually get off of the pain killers. Herniated discs are very painful and mechanical movement really sets them off. I feel for you and good luck.
  • Well I was told the percocet was stronger then hydrocodone.
    Avinza is Morphin Ext Release. I am on 60mg a day. The perc works well but only for about 1 hour and thats it. I do not like the Morphin, it hurts my stomach and really dosent give me much pain relife. I am really hoping I can get some ideas of other options from the members on here.

Thank you

• Anyone?? Please I have my DR appt in the morning.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    previous posts address your concerns?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Your doctor will know best what to give you for your specific situation. What works for one might not for another, so no one can predict if it will help. I've been on Fentanyl patches for over a year now and I like it because it is one less pill to take and I change it every 2 days. I also take percocet for break through pain and rely on my muscle relaxer and Cymbalta for a combo effect in managing my pain.
  • Wait, your doctor wants YOU to make a call as to where to go next?? :jawdrop: :? :O :?? Did he give you a list of your options? I'm wondering if he's thinking more along the lines of injections, PT, surgical consult? If only meds, I'm surprised he's making you decide without his input. If you are wondering what you should be telling him, then he needs to guide you. Possibly you should see another doctor for another opinion?

Good luck, and I hope you find the relief you need! :D

• I know exactly what your talking about when it comes to the stomach and the Avinza 60mg. I take 100mg of morphine sulfate 3 times a day and an additional 30mg morphine sulfate instant release 2 times a day.
    When I first started taking this medicine, it did the same thing to me. To curve the empty hollow gurgling feeling, I would eat something like bread or some fruit. For me, the feeling lasted a couple of months and then went away. I have no idea why the Avinza is still effecting your stomach that way after taking it that long. My stomach began to accept it after a little while. It gives me a real dry mouth and it makes me hungry. This is going to be a side effect of several pain meds. Percocet, Hydrocodone, and Tylenol 4 are all like taking an aspirin now. Everyones chemistry is different and taking pain meds is a trial, and hopefully not error, situation. When my meds were not working anymore, I asked my doctor if he could increase the dosage? He did and it works for me. But, if the morphine sulfate is too much for your stomach, the patch may be something to consult with your doctor about. Check your PM box.
  • Well I have looked at soo many post on here and it seems like many people have good luck with the fentanyl patch. I am going to ask my doctor about trying that with the perc for BT pain. My doctor is very open to trying new things, he is my Primary doctor and also has a pain management clinic. He really asks me if there is anything I want to change or try somthing new. I am happy I have the doctor I do who listens to me and trys to make me feel better. I have heard some horror stories on here about some doctors.The only problem with my doctor is the wait, it will take 1-2hours in the waiting room:( I have my appt this morn at 10:45 so i will let everyone know how it is and what we decid to try. Thank you for all the help.