I have my official post-op review and staple removal later today. As some of you know, I have not been improving much since the procedure:
- Numbness: Before surgery it affected most of my lower leg. Right after surgery, the entire leg felt numb (from buttocks to heel) due to inflammation. As swelling subsided a bit, the numb areas are back to where they were prior to surgery (lower leg from the knee down).
- Pain: This is the worst; shooting pain along sciatica has increased post surgery. The calf feels very painful and weak. It is overwhelming at times. It wakes me up at night, and makes sitting up very uncomfortable.
- Weakness: Major weakness in calf, ankle, and foot. Slightly more pronounced than before surgery. Ankle reflex has not returned at all. Limping considerably when walking.
So, as you can see, I feel back to square one overall, with more pain than before. I know I have to be patient with nerve-related issues, but...
- What should I ask the doctors in regards of my situation?
- Can I request an MRI to see if everything is ok?
- Any other tests they can safely perform to see what's up?
- Any other painkillers they can give me to manage the intense pain I feel in the leg? (I’ve been taking the prescribed Percocet with Advil every 4 hours)
- Would my fears and inquiry make the doctors feel defensive? I don't want to make them feel like I'm questioning their expertise, which I'm not. Far from that. I just want to get better.
Any suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated.