Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Relapse?? Is this normal?

TatiyanaTTatiyana Posts: 194
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone thought they were doing well post fusion only to find that the pain & nerve symptoms come back? I am 14 weeks into recovery & I am experiencing an increase in pain (worse than pre surgery) & constant sciatic nerve pain down my left leg. What bugs me most is the nerve pain was gone post surgery until now! ~X(

Do you think my hardware has shifted? I am debating calling in for an appointment but would be interested if the relapse is a "normal" part of recovery?? :S

The only change is that I returned to work & am sitting & driving more than I was.

• I'm not sure if it's normal or not, but i can tell you that at about 6 months post op after going back to work full time and doing full exercises for the military again I messed up my first surgery and now have pinched nerves again. I waited until Feb to go see my doc again and he told me that I have three choices. 1)live with the pain (don't wanna do that anymore) 2)have him insert a permanent morphine pump (not an option that would get me kicked out of the military) 3)Have another surgery and a full on fusion with rods and screws. My advice to you would be to go and get checked out by your doc as soon as you can. You don't wanna end up like me and have another surgery 10 months to the day after your first one. Hope this helps.

• Hi,
    I can relate! I will be 7 weeks post op tomorrow from a 2 level (L4, 5 and S1) PLIF. Two weeks ago I got permission to drive. I went to the grocery store and that afternoon and evening I was sore. Then the following week I went to Kohls. My foot started hurting(hasnt hurt since surgery) nd I panicked and went home. I called the doc. He said to not overdo it (what does that mean???) and it will take a while for the nerves to repair. Sometimes I swear I can feel something "poking" me near or at the incision site and then I worry. I go back June 19th to see if I am fusing. In the morning and early afternoon is my best so it seems I am doing too much. Hopefully I will figure out a middle ground. I know its maddening but keep the faith...
  • i had my done 1/23/09 felt great first month or so but i also have felt some more bad pain.They say be patient but it is so hard to do. I no longer have my job where i got hurt at so i am off work, but i couldnt work now if i wanted to...i go back to doctor on 17th, i also got to get xray done, the first one i guess looked okay, just have to wait i guess.
  • Hi Tatiyana,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the pain and nerves. If it is something that concerns you then you should call the surgeon and see if he thinks you should come in for a checkup. It may just be that you went back to work and you are using muscles you haven't used in a bit. You wouldn't beleive all the different things you do throughout the day that involve your back muscles.

I felt great for the first couple of months after my fusion but then started to hurt around Oct 08 and complained to surgeon. He did ctscan and it said not much going on to cause pain i'm going through. I went to another doc to get another opinion and found out I had failed fusion and 2 broken and loose screws.

I hope you start to feel better pain wise very soon. Please keep us posted on your progress. I love your quote at the end of your signature. That is a very positive message that we should all strive for.